Thread: Clean eating?

Expert Forum User

Default Clean eating?

Anyone do it? I am reading a few tosca Reno books and thinking about trying it...it seems pretty overwhelming and maybe even difficult! I have 2 boys and a hubby that eat nothing green and minimal fruit!
    So for those who have or do eat clean tell me what you think!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

I love the Clean Eating books but there are a few things i would change. I think its a great intro to healthier eating though. Best of luck..
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

i would love to eat clean and have eaten pretty clean in the past.....but i find it very difficult to do on a continuous basis. i guess i just don't have the willpower! i have to say that i felt amazing when i did it and i've never been so healthy (or so thin!). it's just much harder now that i'm married. dh will eat many healthy things that i make but he wouldn't be willing to do all of it with me. not to mention that with breastfeeding, i feel like i need the extra calories that a bit of 'junk' provides every once in awhile!

You can get a great amount of calories into your diet for breastfeeding using the right foods without having to resort to empty calories. This way, you can be sure the quality of your breastmilk is the best it can be.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Expert Forum User

i think it seems pretty overwhleming right now too, for me i am starting slow by changing my grains, eliminating extra sugar, salt etc...we don't drink pop or juice so thats easy! i am also thinking twice before grabbing a frozen dinner and trying to plan meals better!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

baby steps.. who says you have to change it all in one day?? We and my family have been doing one or two things a month and in the end its a big change.

Banned

I have read her books and indeed they seem overwhelming.....esp. if you're not used to it.

I don't think you need a book.....buy whole foods, “alive“ foods, lot's of fruits and green leafy vegetables, cut out diary, drink lot's of filtered water, nuts and seeds (raw and unsalted), give up sugar and processed foods, find out all the zillions of names for sugar and eat nothing with more than 5-9 grams of sugar in it, try not to eat gluten, take a multi vitamin to cover any “short falls“ in your diet, cut out “white things“ such as potatoes and bread, eat sprouts and Google recipes!

LOL now THAT seemed overwhelming too!

Good luck!

i wish i liked nuts and seeds more....i think that would make it easier for me. especially when it comes to something to snack on...

Banned

Sunflower seeds are nice - buy without the shell. (unsalted) Or cashews are yum!

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    Anyone do it? I am reading a few tosca Reno books and thinking about trying it...it seems pretty overwhelming and maybe even difficult! I have 2 boys and a hubby that eat nothing green and minimal fruit!
    So for those who have or do eat clean tell me what you think!
    If you just add one ingredient in your grocery cart each time you shop than it wont be such a shock to your diet and will make it easier. its a lifestyle not a “diet“.

I haven't read those books, but we eat very clean here.
    you can start by making small changes such as not buying supermarket meat - buy drug/hormone free from the western fair market or if your budget allows it, from Field Gate organics at Covent Garden.

Sub in fruit for snacks and cut down the amount of processed foods.

sub in ww pasta for white and then kamut or quinoa. brown rice for white, etc.

Read labels and cut out anything that has modified on the label (if it says trans fat free it can still have modifed fats).

Change to butter from margerine if that's what you use. Only cooking with EVOO, organic sunflower oil and coconut oil. Increase the amounts of healthy fats you're eating.

We do small amounts of dairy because I don't think soy is a healthy food for the most part. We get one litre of unhomogenized organic milk per week.

The only processed foods we buy are yogurt (cheaper than making), cheese, crackers (no preservatives, no modified ingredients). We make our own bread.

There any probably some different ways of preparing veg that your family might like. DD loves roasted beets, roasted broccoli and cauliflower. You just drizzle with olive oil, season then bake. Homemade dressings and sauces can really liven them up too if they are picky. When we were eating more carbs, I would boil a big box of ww macaroni, make a cheese sauce, brown some ground beef and cook some tiny broccoli florets and cauliflower. Then I would mix it all together and it would essentially be mac and cheese but more of a complete meal (probably about 40% pasta, 30% meat, 30% veg).
    Last edited by redvlagrl; 02-19-2011 at 07:42 AM.