Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UH infertility clinic vs SOFT

Just wondering if anyone knows how UH handles IUI and cycle monitoring?

If DH and I are followed through UH do I have to have all my blood tests done through public labs (ie: wait in line for lab to open at 8am, along with everyone else and then be late for work) or do they do testing through UH. I am currently a little flustered that it takes 5 weeks to get in to see our Dr at UH when Femera didn't work. I feel like I should have called and made an appointment over a month ago..... event though we were still trying things out with Femera.

I am under the impression that the wait time for SOFT follow up is much shorter and that they have a lab on site that opens at 7:30am.

Can anyone confirm any of this info? Or share your thoughts on either clinic?

TIA - Trish

Expert Forum User

I went to the SOFT clinic and I believe the lab actually opens at 7am most days, I can't remember the definite schedule. I am not sure how UH follows up but each cycle I got a bfn with SOFT they would call and tell me what the plan was for the next cycle and every so often I would meet with Dr Martin to review but didn't have to do that each time it didn't work (I stopped ovulating on my initial dosage of femara and they called when my cycle was canceled and let me know they were going to increase the dosage and see how that goes, after a few IUI's that didn't work we had a review and came up with a new plan but found out that cycle had worked a few days after). Overall I had a really good experience at SOFT and felt like they were on top of everything.

Good luck either way!
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was at UH for one of my miscarriages and had a really bad experience there (very uninformed doctor who told me it was impossible to get pregnant while breastfeeding.... ummm then how have I had 3 miscarriages while breastfeeding?).

Soft wasnt as well monitored as most others seem to have experience with. I had an initial apt, one after my HSG and then I never saw dr martin again. Even after 6 monitored months there was nothing. After 8 more cycles that I dropped out of monitoring there was never a call. After a BFP, 7 week ultrasound, 12 week, 20 week never an apt from him. From others I have talked with this is very odd and I havent heard of anyone else who had this little attention from him.

Overal I would go with SOFT.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

I went to UH and I had to go to the clinic across from the Station Park. There is a bit of a wait but never too long as they took UH clinic patients before anyone else. If they test is needed asap they can do it on site as well. We had a great experience there. They handled my miscarriage and 3 IUI's. I still have my whole info pack if you need any more info. I dealt with Monica and she was amazing, I could call her any time and she would get whatever answers I need. My doc was Dr. Hollette Caines.

I was at UH with Dr. Maggie Rebel - loved her!

As far as bloodwork goes, I also went to the Gamma Dynacare on Pall Mall, across from Station Park Inn. They open at 7 for fertility patients only, so I would go in before work and get my blood drawn.
    HappyandBlessed
    Maman to five
    DS born still Dec '97
    DS Dec '98
    DS Dec '03
    DS Sept '06
    DD May '10

Social Media Guru

SOFT is amazing. I have been with them for over a year now due to reproductive issues on my part. I have seen the dr's (I was with Akinsooto but now with Martin since Akinsooto is doing some sort of specialization course) probably between 6-8 times in that 14 months and if they didn't set the apointment I never had an issue setting one to discuss concerns. The clinic opens at 7am for monitoring and I always get there for 6:45am and am usually one of the first there, am in and out by 7:10 if just bloodwork and by 7:40ish latest if I need u/s done as well. They call you if anything is abnormal and the nurses are amazing. I am currently on break since the passing of my father we are taking a couple months off while I work through issues and Pat (amazing) has given me her number if I ever want to talk. Defitnely above and beyond the line of duty. I love SOFT, I just wish I didn't have to go back (as in I get pregnant by some chance).

Yup was at UH, not very happy with how they treat me and dh Pretty sure its cause we bring their averages down and hurt their funding... bloodwork is done 7am at gamma dynacare on pall mall, program patients before general public, some days there is a wait, but not usually, you are called that day with results and next step... good luck and unfortunately the wait is just how our health care system is, even already being in the program for so many years it takes a min month to get into see my dr. Should we ever try again not sure I would return to the same dr if I can choose.

I was with SOFT and I really liked them. When I had a misscarage the staff were awsome. Pat is always there to listen. If something didn't work I just got a phone call and my meds would change. The only issue I had with them and when they said I was preganat my levels were 1 then two days later a 4 and they said congrats you are pregnant. It didn't last and what I learned is anything under 10 should is not considered preggers by lab tech's. I was upset that I wasn't told that my levels were really low, but I would still go back if I need to, to have a another child.

I have a couple of friends who have been to UH and they seem to move at a slower pace then SOFT but seem to be more aggressive in there treatment,( to go to IVF faster) where SOFT let me set the pace. I had 6 IUI's where I think UH only will do 3-4 before moving on to IVF. I do know people that have loved UH over SOFT as well. Good luck

Expert Forum User

Maybe look at Dr McNaught's new clinic too - he used to be at SOFT, but this is his own clinic.

Fertility Clinic, In Vitro Fertilization | London, ON
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

My experiences are UH are negative. This is from about 15 years ago though and some of the doctors have changed.

There was a 6 month wait after the initial referral, which was 1 year after laproscopic surgery (wasting time when age is an important issue)

3 month wait after the initial appointment because they lost some of our paperwork and it needed to be redone.

Gamma Dynacare had a nurse who was brutal with the blood test needles and left me bruised each time.

Dr. Nisker had an ethical problem with some patients receiving treatment. He went on to publish papers on the ethics of assisted reproductive technology. Not the person you want deciding whether you can participate or not.

I didn't like the psychologist that is part of the program. He was uninformed and had biases. When DH and I said that we were interested in adoption, he asked if we would really love and be happy with an “Indian baby“ from India, in a condescending way. WTF? We stated that we were open to many options and he said that his wife worked with children in the foster care/CAS system and that we really didn't want CAS children because of all there problems.
    That still rankles me that he was that negative about children in the system who need someone to love, nurture and advocate for them. SOME may have problems but that doesn't mean that we should turn our back on them. I think that someone who has been through the heartbreak of infertility will recognize the gift that children are and be strong advocates for them, especially because there are issues.
    Last edited by nananana; 10-23-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was worried that if we were to stay at UH that I would be having to drive to UH for U/S and then waiting and being late frequently for work (something I would rather avoid), on top of also having to wait for blood work. It sounds like the lab on Pall Mall works similar to the SOFT lab.

How do the clinics differ in processing semen? Would DH take his to UH to be “cleaned“ or would he take his to the lab and they would get it to UH once cleaned for IUI?

Expert Forum User

Before the IUI he will need to go to UH and provide a sample and they do it there. I know that DH had to work the day of our IUI so he had to drive to UH around 8am and provide his sample and I showed up around 10am ready to go for the IUI

I just wanted to add that ultra sounds are anywhere from 8am to 10am, but generally you are in and out in half an hour and you know minimum afternoon before that you will be having it done.. unfortunately yes sometimes it will probably make you late or close to being late to your job depending on your start time.

I start at 8am so I will be late. May as well be really late and get a warm drink on my way to work as well.

UH is a teaching hosptial . . . something else to consider. Are you okay with Interns doing procedures??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast