Default anyone tried gentian violet for thrush?

anyone tried gentian violet for thrush?

i spoke to the pharmacist and she didn't suggest i use it for now as it is a last resort. she said to keep using the nystatin stuff which i am. but i am tempted to use the gentian violet.

she says it will stain everything purple. my little one isnt breastfeeding anymore so thats fine. i wont be purple. i know her mouth will be but that will fade away over weeks. its ok if clothing gets purple its not the end of the world. i just want her better and eating better. will her toys become purple? she doesnt drool but she does put things in her mouth on occasion-and what about sippy cups??? or straws and spoons that she eats from??

i hear gentian works very quickly as well and its only two small drops a day for like 3 days??? so whats the big deal????

thanks for any info!!!

I used it with DS1. We tried the Nystatin and it didn`t work. The gentian violet worked within a couple of days. Yes, everything was purple but you just have to be careful with it. I think some maybe had a bit of a stain from him putting them in his mouth but nothing too noticeable. We just had to rub it around his mouth with a qtip and i had to put it on my nipples.
    I don`t see why you wouldn`t use it if the other isn`t working.

Expert Forum User

use it! it works!! she is nuts. don't let it get any worse.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

N/M
    Last edited by laurensmom; 10-01-2010 at 03:58 PM.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

I hope someone can help me out with details but I think if you put olive oil on their chin, cheeks, etc it keep that part from staining. I'd double check with hinagal or one of the other LCs.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I hope someone can help me out with details but I think if you put olive oil on their chin, cheeks, etc it keep that part from staining. I'd double check with hinagal or one of the other LCs.
    hmm, i'm not positive, but it makes sense that a barrier would help to minimize the purple. if you do it at nighttime, maybe that would help? especially if babe is a back sleeper.
    any sort of barrier would be good i think, some sort of bum butter might work, and olive oil certainly might make it less likely to soak in the purple.
    good luck! and like you say, it's only for a couple of days, not endless and the purple isn't permanent. it does fade.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown