Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Note home from school

Not sure what I'm supposed to do?

DD1's teacher sent a note home yesterday that said DD1 would not take off her outdoor shoes and wanted the teacher to help her. (She does this at home, it's annoying, I get DD2 to help her when she's in a mood.)

So last night I went over with DD1 how to take your shoes on and off and the importance of indoor and outdoor shoes to keep your classroom clean. Wrote the teacher back and said DD1 can take her shoes on and off, and does know which are her indoor and outdoor shoes.

Note came home today that said teacher knows DD1 can take her shoes on and off, but that she wouldn't change her shoes the other day and when asked to she cried.

?? Am I missing something? The first note home was en francais, but I google translated and it seemed pretty straight forward. Do I reply to this?

I'm just feelin clueless as to if/how I'm supposed to reply? My kid cried when she didn't want to change her shoes? Ok....? Do I just write back thanks for letting me know?
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would write back and say thanks for letting me know, I have discussed it with her and hopefully there will be no further problems, or something to that effect. Then I would again address it with your DD, that its her job to change her shoes. Teacher is prob letting you know so that you are not surprised later if the issue continues.....there is a section on the report card learning skills about independence/following instructions.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    Teacher is prob letting you know so that you are not surprised later if the issue continues.....there is a section on the report card learning skills about independence/following instructions.
    Ok, that makes sense! Cause some parents probably get all bent out of shape if they see something negative on a report card.

I know my kid can be stubborn. Wonder where she gets that from...
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

teacher is probably covering her butt too as she would have to record “contact with parents“ if there is any ongoing problem. I know I do this with my students (and they're in high school!) as a means of record keeping so that if there are any “questions“ come report card time I can refer back to my notes on what has been done to remedy a situation before it gets sticky. As I said before, she's probably just covering her butt!

Expert Forum User

If she is in JK/SK I would find many kids want the teacher to do it. Even some grades 1, lol. Usually the teachers try to encourage it - “if you put on this one, I'll put on that one“ so she is practicing it on her own, but still getting help.
    Although most kids don't completely refuse to put on their own shoes, but ask if you can help.
    Many schools in winter have grade 8 helpers to help the JK/SK's into all the winter gear since its too much for many of them to do.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'm surprised that that stuff is an issue yet. Our JK/SK teacher always helps the kids if they need help, whether it's a shoe that won't come off or a coat that needs zipping, etc. He obv. tries to teach them how to do it but he wouldn't leave them to cry. Weird.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Yeah same here. Though we don't do indoor/outdoor shoes.

I agree with laurensmom. Just write her a thankyou note and that you have addressed it with DD1.

Expert Forum User

does she really love her out door shoes? Dislike her indoors?