Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this all normal?

I am driving myself crazy trying to figure out if my LO has a reflux issue or if her behaviour is normal for a preemie. She spits up after every feed, usually it's an hour or two after she eats. We hold her upright for 1/2 hour after she eats, lay her down when she's fallen asleep but then about an hour later, she starts fussy, rolls around and then spits up. She'll cry like crazy too. She is fine if you pick her up and hold her but when you lay her down she wakes up, cries and spits up. Don't get me wrong, I love to cuddle with her and hold her but it's hard when I'm home alone and I've gone many a day without eating or peeing until my husband gets home. She was not like this in the NICU. My ped says that "babies just spit up" and that preemies are worse for it, he also says that preemies are more fussy and that I just have to basically "deal with it". I feel like her formula is upsetting her stomach but our ped disagrees. I'm just frustrated as I feel that there is something bothering her but I don't know what it is and no one can tell me. This is all new to me, I mean I've helped my sister with her newborns but with them she would just feed them, burp them, lay them down and they would sleep soundly for 3 to 4 hours. My LO does not sleep soundly after a feed ever unless held. I just want to make sure she is okay, I hate to see her get upset and spit up, and I wonder if this is all normal??? Anyway, did any of you ever have these issues when your preemie came home?
    Last edited by ilovetinks; 09-26-2010 at 06:34 PM.

my little guy was the spit up KING! He was 6 wks early and basically, I had at least 30 spit up blankets and I went through all of them every two days. He finally tapered off around 6 months. I'm not sure if it was because of his prematurity or not. I've just heard that some babies spit up and some dont. An option could be to use some oval and see if that makes a difference. One thing I did was put recieving blankets underneath him in the crib so when he spit up in the crib, I just changed the receiving blanket instead of all his bedding.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't know your little one's specific situation, but here's my take on it - ds was about 5 weeks early(we never knew exactly how early, it was a weird pregnancy.)
    First of all, if the formula were making them sick probably the spit up would be a lot faster, ime. When we tried dd on a kind that disagreed with her it was back up w/in 10 minutes tops.
    Both of mine spit up a LOT. I did find when I switched dd from Enfamil A+ to Enfrapro, she spit up a LOT less...but, she was also sitting up more, older, etc (about seven months). So maybe coincidental.
    Mine definitely woke up covered in spit up frequently, ds more than dd. I used to put them both on their tummies to sleep because it seemed safer, with the amount of spitting up they did. Later I learned that some doctors do recomend that for premature babies, as they do spit up more and it's messier but less dangerous on their bellies. Maybe ask yours their opinion.

It sucks, cos it means a lot of his baby stuff was stained beyond saving and a LOT of laundry, but both spituppy babies were healthy, happy....just smelled intermittently lol.
    If they aren't screaming uncontrollably, writhing in pain, etc it is probably not upset tummy - just plain old spitting up.
    hth.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

DD still does that to this day. If she cries too much, if she eats too fast, if she tries a new texture - anything. She will sometimes vomit and than choke on it. We have had issues where she would stop breathing because of it. They do outgrow it. Development clinic said that she has an extreme gag reflex which is common in premies. Both the developmental clinic and the ped says she will outgrow it. I feel your pain. I use to hate feeding DD. I still get all nervous that we go out in public that she is going to vomit but from what I have read etc... it is normal. Hugs to you mama. Sounds like you are doing a great job. It is hard.... but she will get there.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

to add to Allie's comment, I also put ds to sleep on his tummy. I started out with just naps where I could keep an eye on him, but he slept so much better on his tummy. I doubt you will get a doctor to recommend tummy sleeping and it is a complete personal choice. But maybe something to try once during the day when you are right there to keep an eye on her to see if it helps her. Another thing I did was give ds a soother and just kept sticking it back in so he could practice soothing himself from the get go.

I breast fed my little guy so I knew the spit up wasn't because of the formula not agreeing with him and he still spit up so much! Good luck!! We know what your going though!

Expert Forum User

Which way do you hold her? Holding her in your right arm is much better for reflux because of the curve of the stomach. Also avoid carseats and swings which can bunch them up and pushes the milk back up. The baby chairs that let them fully lay out are better. If you do lay her down, put her on her right side or belly (making sure to keep an eye on her as she's a newborn.)

I had two preemies, one who never spit up, and one who had bad reflux and spit up all the time. Both were 'needy' and had to be held round the clock. I can totally relate. Hugs mama, it DOES get better eventually. Here, they seemed to be happier once they could crawl and get around.

With the first I remember feeling like I was tied to the couch holding a baby all day. It was hard listening to friends talk about what they did during the day while all I did was hold a baby and watch TV . The second time around I realized that it wouldn't last so I tried to appreciate the baby cuddles while she was still so small.

HTH

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I should add that I too, kept my newborns w/in view for the first few months. DH worked shifts a lot so often he'd be up watching tv, with a baby sleeping on him or in a basket next to him at night; in the day or other nights he wasn't there, I'd be there reading with baby sleeping near me. It was a total vigil thing lol.
    Soon as they had decent head control, they were in their cribs or where ever. DS I think around two months, dd three.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Banned

my nephew Connor was a 25 weeker. At the age of 3 he still vomits sometimes, His whole stomach purges and he needs to eat that meal again.

He has a paralyzed vocal cord and I often wonder if that plays a part in his extreme vomitting.

If Noah or Jackson ask Connor if he is going to puke he will puke. I think he has done it for so long now it just happens so easily.

If we give him a new food and he doesn't like the taste , texture ect. He will vomit,

I wish I had better advice.

My oldest Dd had what I now know was reflux and vomitting, she still at 14 has some troubles with reflux symptoms.

My DS was 28 weeker. He had a feeding issue as well. He didn't spit up too much after feeding, but when he cried he always ended up spitting up. Also, he refused to drink formulas. Dr. recommanded to switch to Alimentum, which is pre-digested formula, and it worked for us.

Wow, you sound exactly like me. I was in your exact position a year ago. My DD was a 27 weeker and I felt like I lived in my easy chair 24-7. I never ate, slept, peed or showered unless my hubby was home to hold her upright.
    We saw many, many professionals on the “problem“. The so called professionals kept telling me it was reflux but I never believed it cause the medicine never worked. It turned out her valve wasn't matured yet, and she asperated a little on her fluids which caused the constant throw ups. I was a very hard year for us and I know your pain, I tryed to reach out to anyone who could help but it turned out we just got a bunch of suggestions that didn't work for us.
    My advice is to try everything people suggest to you.
    What ended up working for us is
    1) Thickening her formula ( I have an unopened can if your interested I could give it to you)
    2) Waiting it out and trying to hold her upright as much as possible, even though you know sometimes it doesn't matter.
    They do outgrow it, it will get better just hang in there and trust me cry if you need to cause there was many a time I did.
    If you want to talk PM me and I'll send you my number cause it's always nice to have a mo who has been there and survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Which way do you hold her? Holding her in your right arm is much better for reflux because of the curve of the stomach. Also avoid carseats and swings which can bunch them up and pushes the milk back up. The baby chairs that let them fully lay out are better. If you do lay her down, put her on her right side or belly (making sure to keep an eye on her as she's a newborn.)

I had two preemies, one who never spit up, and one who had bad reflux and spit up all the time. Both were 'needy' and had to be held round the clock. I can totally relate. Hugs mama, it DOES get better eventually. Here, they seemed to be happier once they could crawl and get around.

With the first I remember feeling like I was tied to the couch holding a baby all day. It was hard listening to friends talk about what they did during the day while all I did was hold a baby and watch TV . The second time around I realized that it wouldn't last so I tried to appreciate the baby cuddles while she was still so small.

HTH
    I usually hold her in my left, but after you suggested this I put her on her right side on my chest and it worked, no spit up and she fell asleep...worked again this morning at 3:00 a.m. She is now on her tummy beside me sucking on her soother with me watching her (I'm waiting for bottles to sterlize so I had to put her down). She seems content Your last comment helped me a lot, that is how I feel, tied to the couch all day, but it hit home with me, because you are right, I should enjoy the baby cuddles while they last, before you know it she will be bigger and not want to cuddle. After reading that I told myself it's okay to just be a couch potatoe for this time.

Quote Originally Posted by tinad View Post
    Wow, you sound exactly like me. I was in your exact position a year ago. My DD was a 27 weeker and I felt like I lived in my easy chair 24-7. I never ate, slept, peed or showered unless my hubby was home to hold her upright.
    We saw many, many professionals on the “problem“. The so called professionals kept telling me it was reflux but I never believed it cause the medicine never worked. It turned out her valve wasn't matured yet, and she asperated a little on her fluids which caused the constant throw ups. I was a very hard year for us and I know your pain, I tryed to reach out to anyone who could help but it turned out we just got a bunch of suggestions that didn't work for us.
    My advice is to try everything people suggest to you.
    What ended up working for us is
    1) Thickening her formula ( I have an unopened can if your interested I could give it to you)
    2) Waiting it out and trying to hold her upright as much as possible, even though you know sometimes it doesn't matter.
    They do outgrow it, it will get better just hang in there and trust me cry if you need to cause there was many a time I did.
    If you want to talk PM me and I'll send you my number cause it's always nice to have a mo who has been there and survived.
    Thanks so much, you are so right...as soon as my husband walks through the door I pounce on him so I can go shower, eat, or whatever I need to do. About thickening her formula, our ped thinks nothing is wrong as she is gaining weight nicely so I don't know if he'd say to go ahead and do that, but I will be seeing him in a few weeks and I will ask...thanks for the offer, I will PM you if I need the can of it. Thanks for the offer to send me your number, I may just take you up on that...my friends and family don't understand as no one else has ever known anyone with a preemie, so they just don't get it and try to compare to their full term babies...but it's just not the same, so thanks so much, I am keeping this in mind and will PM you if I need some support

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetinks View Post
    Thanks so much, you are so right...as soon as my husband walks through the door I pounce on him so I can go shower, eat, or whatever I need to do. About thickening her formula, our ped thinks nothing is wrong as she is gaining weight nicely so I don't know if he'd say to go ahead and do that, but I will be seeing him in a few weeks and I will ask...thanks for the offer, I will PM you if I need the can of it. Thanks for the offer to send me your number, I may just take you up on that...my friends and family don't understand as no one else has ever known anyone with a preemie, so they just don't get it and try to compare to their full term babies...but it's just not the same, so thanks so much, I am keeping this in mind and will PM you if I need some support
    Please do. I was in your exact position too. No one in my family could understand. Bringing home a baby after that is so different. People don't understand the constant fear, and the worry especially because they didn't act that way in the hospital. I felt so rushed out of there. My family didn't understand my constant sterilization or my obsession with all the numbers.
    There are alot of fantastic moms on here with premiees that understand and have some great advice to give. There was many a day I didn't think I would get through the day without them.

Expert Forum User

Feeding is such a huge issue with preemies. Our twins were 6 weeks premature and it was a very rough first few months at home. DD had projectile vomitting which they were not sure if it was reflux or something else.

We used her bouncy chair a lot, kept her mattress on an incline. There were many days as you said that I did not eat, sleep, shower or go to the bathroom until DH came home or my mom came over.

Hang in there, I noticed a significant difference in DD at about 4 months but I bought a podee bottle that allowed her to eat sitting up which made a huge difference in the projectile vomitting. Here is the website Lead Free and BPA Free Baby Bottle and Baby Bottle Accessories by Podee® International

We also did end up changing her formula from similac to goodstart. I found that she had more issues with similac and definitely the liquid concentrate was not good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by tinad View Post
    Please do. I was in your exact position too. No one in my family could understand. Bringing home a baby after that is so different. People don't understand the constant fear, and the worry especially because they didn't act that way in the hospital. I felt so rushed out of there. My family didn't understand my constant sterilization or my obsession with all the numbers.
    There are alot of fantastic moms on here with premiees that understand and have some great advice to give. There was many a day I didn't think I would get through the day without them.
    Oh my gosh, this is exactly how I feel, no one gets the constant fear and worry...they tell me to relax. Yeah right, like that's possible. And I will scream if one more person says to me “all babies get sick“, those people have no clue what it is like to watch your tiny baby get an infection and be hooked up to so many tubes and monitors and just lay there so still...they have no clue. When DD was in the NICU I actually had a friend tell me it wasn't fair because I didn't get huge and swollen in the summer like she did (DD was born at 28 weeks)...like are you frigging kidding me??? Or the one where people would say “at least you are getting your sleep now“ when DD was in the NICU, like do you really think I can go to bed and sleep soundly while my little one is in the hospital? I've had so many insensitive comments that I have closed myself off from a lot of people. Sorry for my rant but it feels good to get it out. It's good to know that others can relate as they've been there and done it. Thanks again for the offer of the PM to give you a call, I will def. take you up on that.
    Last edited by ilovetinks; 09-27-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast