Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a doctor

lakewriter

Default Need a doctor

Hi ladies,

I am new to the area and I need a family doctor. I have looked on the internet and called the london and st. thomas medical associations. No luck.

Does anyone know of a family doc taking patients .. either in london or st. thomas?

REgards,
    Christina

Dr. Stare is taking patients....her office is out of the same one that does the Childrens After Hours clinic and Fanshawe Park Rd. Don't know the number off hand...

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

This is what comes up on the CPSO website under "accepting new patients" in London:

1- Patel, Ketan N
    Tel #: (519) 472-8282
    Suite 5
    1385 North Routledge Park
    London ON N6H 5N5
    Fax #: (519) 472-8281

2- Somerton, Kenneth Frederick
    Tel #: (519) 439-8021
    215 Piccadilly Street
    Suite 204
    London ON N6A 1S2
    Fax #: (519) 439-7041

my family doctor is taking new patients BUT I wouldn't recomend my worst enemy use him.

I have only saw him once and am looking again I waited over 3 hours fopr my 1030 am appointment and he didnt even come to the office untill after 11 there were a bunch of us sitting in the hallway.
    he gave me issues with getting my meds too and is seriosuly old, old enough that I really dont think he should be practising

My husband's doc is new to town and may still be accepting patients - Dr. Jeffrey Kelland at the Bradley Medical Clinic, 519-681-4338.

Good luck!

(BTW We originally got the lead on his name from the Public Health Unit. They might have more info for you too.)

lakewriter

hi zoo,

i was reading some reviews about dr. somerton on ratemds.com, and they scared me away.

christina

Zoo

Hmm, interesting. I never read that. Worth checking out. Actually, I could go put down something nice for the surgeon I'm so pleased with, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lakewriter View Post
    hi zoo,

i was reading some reviews about dr. somerton on ratemds.com, and they scared me away.

christina

thats who my doc is, those things on there are very true

Zoo

lol! I wondered if it was your doc...if he graduated in '63, that's not a spring chicken. Dr. Coles (from the walk-in where Herbies used to be at oxford/wonderland) is not the youngest doc on the block either, though, and I think he's AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    lol! I wondered if it was your doc...if he graduated in '63, that's not a spring chicken. Dr. Coles (from the walk-in where Herbies used to be at oxford/wonderland) is not the youngest doc on the block either, though, and I think he's AWESOME.

I dont know if I called that called that clinic most doctors dont want a bipolar person as a patient that I have learned, 95% of the docs I have called here hear the word bipolarand meds and I dont get any further I get no sorry.

My new family Dr (who I have never even met yet for my meet and greet lol!) is Dr. Jennifer Meer. She's located in the same building as my Ped for my 2 sons. IN the old Herbies plaza on Oxford St. it's nowa Rexall store with pharmacy, Dr's, dentist, etc in it. In the same plaza as Price Chopper, Sears Outlet etc. Maybe give her a call to see if she's till accepting.

Sitting Pretty:
    I am sorry to hear that That is outright discrimination any way you look at it. I know a # of different ppl who suffer from Bi-Polar. It's a disorder, just like anything else. Not your fault, as it's a chemical imbalance. Too bad it couldn't be seen that way by more Dr's, especially in this day and age!
    Keep trying and looking! One caring one will eventually take you on! When that day happens, you will know it was meant to be and that that particular Dr took you on for a good reason...because he/she cared about YOUR needs!

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    Sitting Pretty:
    I am sorry to hear that That is outright discrimination any way you look at it. I know a # of different ppl who suffer from Bi-Polar. It's a disorder, just like anything else. Not your fault, as it's a chemical imbalance. Too bad it couldn't be seen that way by more Dr's, especially in this day and age!
    Keep trying and looking! One caring one will eventually take you on! When that day happens, you will know it was meant to be and that that particular Dr took you on for a good reason...because he/she cared about YOUR needs!
    I know hon, thank you.
    My last doc retired he was great a couple docs want me to have a shirnk as part of them seeing the problem is EVERY shrink in lodnon told me doctor that unless Im suicadal they wont see me (insert eye roll here) my bf is gonna ask his clinci to take me and seeing as he is counsellor I am pretty sure he can assure them im stable.

What my old doctor explained is alot of family docs dont want to mess with pyschmeds, they are ok with what ever you take at the moment but are leery when you need a change what they dont get is I am well away from reaching the max dose on my meds so at worst they would raise my meds

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    I know hon, thank you.
    My last doc retired he was great a couple docs want me to have a shirnk as part of them seeing the problem is EVERY shrink in lodnon told me doctor that unless Im suicadal they wont see me (insert eye roll here) my bf is gonna ask his clinci to take me and seeing as he is counsellor I am pretty sure he can assure them im stable.

What my old doctor explained is alot of family docs dont want to mess with pyschmeds, they are ok with what ever you take at the moment but are leery when you need a change what they dont get is I am well away from reaching the max dose on my meds so at worst they would raise my meds
    I don't know much about this but a few (5-ish?) years ago my doctor referred me to Family Services London, I think they charged on a sliding scale for everything. I was going to suggest you ask your doc about that but obviously you don't have one right now and that's the point, so not so helpful I know. I wonder if they could do a referral at a walk-in clinic? Like I said IDK much about this, but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it.

I've also heard that potential patients will be refused for any kind of condition that makes them more work than the standard, "ideal" patient who comes in once a year for a physical. I think there was an article in the Londoner or something awhile ago about a mother who could never get her kids a doctor, so she tried applying to a practice without including information about her children who had conditions requiring medical care and the rest of the family was accepted - so the kids who needed the doctor the most (not that everyone doesn't need a doc, but YKWIM) were the ones who didn't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    I don't know much about this but a few (5-ish?) years ago my doctor referred me to Family Services London, I think they charged on a sliding scale for everything. I was going to suggest you ask your doc about that but obviously you don't have one right now and that's the point, so not so helpful I know. I wonder if they could do a referral at a walk-in clinic? Like I said IDK much about this, but I thought it couldn't hurt to mention it.
    family service london is counselling they do not have a shrink to my knowledge other than the crisis sevrice which is useless again unless Im sucidial which I never have been nor will I lie.

I've also heard that potential patients will be refused for any kind of condition that makes them more work than the standard, "ideal" patient who comes in once a year for a physical. I think there was an article in the Londoner or something awhile ago about a mother who could never get her kids a doctor, so she tried applying to a practice without including information about her children who had conditions requiring medical care and the rest of the family was accepted - so the kids who needed the doctor the most (not that everyone doesn't need a doc, but YKWIM) were the ones who didn't get one.
    yep very true, the thing is Im no more work than a "normal" person I have always gotten my pills in three months supplys with 2 refills so thats every nine months I would go in. I have one med adjustment in 6 years of being diagnoised and that was not my doc saying your lvs are low, that was me saying hey for the last month this and this happened so I upped my dose on my own after reaserching and it works can we do this? my old doc loved the fact I am so self aware that I can catch myself and know when I need an ajustment and do the research to know what works verus others who dont know and do need the extra help of a shrink saying hey your a tad manicy lets do this.I find many doctors assume bipolar means stupid in this city which is why I refuse to use the climic on king street.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast