Thread: FM system

Expert Forum User

Default FM system

Does anyone's child use one?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

is that the hearing system.. ds was offered one in grade 10.. he refused.. said he didn't want to feel different. we understood. but i did speak to the counselor about them. IF thats what your talking about. if not ignore me..lol

My dd might be using one soon.

I use one in my classroom. It is a sound system. The teacher wears a mic and there are speakers positioned in the room. It allows for a better projection of the teachers voice, and helps students to focus better on her voice while tuning out the other distracting sounds in the room. It is very beneficial for children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder, and I have also found beneficial for most students especially those with ADD or ADHD. The student does not need to “wear“ anything.....
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

FM Systems - Hearing Aid Choices - My Baby's Hearing

The FM system we have is with a personal listening device for the child with hearing loss, and it is different than just having a miked classroom with speakers.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    I use one in my classroom. It is a sound system. The teacher wears a mic and there are speakers positioned in the room. It allows for a better projection of the teachers voice, and helps students to focus better on her voice while tuning out the other distracting sounds in the room. It is very beneficial for children with Central Auditory Processing Disorder, and I have also found beneficial for most students especially those with ADD or ADHD. The student does not need to “wear“ anything.....

It's like this, but my ds will have a headset instead of speakers in the classroom. We are having the hardest time getting it. Technically going on 2 yrs since a teacher identified some issues. Hopefully, maybe, possibly, we have only one more meeting to go and it will be next week. This is after I finally got the school board involved.

Just wondering others experiences getting it set up and how their child responded to it. Was it helpful? Ds was diagnosed with a Central Auditory Processing Disorder.

The FM system we have is with a personal listening device for the child with hearing loss, and it is different than just having a miked classroom with speakers.
    The system I use is also called an FM system and it is part of the IEP and accomodations for my student with CAPD. It has definately been effective for him.

ETA-Mine was set up in 15 min the day it arrived. Fairly easy to use, once you get used to turning it off when you are done talking
    Last edited by laurensmom; 09-23-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post

This is the soundfield option. My ds uses this currently (has cochlear implants), but as his learning needs change, his FM likely will as well. There are several very different types. The soundfield is just one of them. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the other ones (I found the whole thing quite overwhelming, tbh). My ds has had one since the beginning of the year (he's in JK) so I can't comment on it making a difference.

My son has CAPD as well and his school told me I would have to purchase one if he needed it. How do you go arpound that and who should I be talking to about getting one in the classroom?

No you should not have to buy one. They have to accommodate your child's disability. If your school told you that, go to the school board.

My son's teacher has one for him (CAPD), but she agrees that it benefits everyone, especially with 31 kids in the class. She wears the head set and the speaker is up at the front. I'm not even sure the rest of the kids know it's for my son, it's been in his classes since grade 2 and quite a few other classes use them too.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mom2busyboys View Post
    My son has CAPD as well and his school told me I would have to purchase one if he needed it. How do you go arpound that and who should I be talking to about getting one in the classroom?
    I'm still working out all the details. It's been over a year now

If the school isn't helping, definitely call the school board and speak to your Superintendent to find out the procedure.

We've had the school audiologist, psychologist, speech-language, learning support teacher, and principal involved (and maybe others I just haven't spoke to in the last wk ). He's also seen an audiologist at Vic (for the CAPD test) and a psychiatrist and a pediatrician to rule out other issues.