Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Default DD's bum smells like pee! (possibly cd-related?)

So DD always wakes up wreaking like ammonia. This morning, after her morning change, she still smelled like pee, so I figured I just hadn't cleaned her off well enough, and got out 2 really wet washcloths and wiped her off very thoroughly and let her air dry. 15 minutes later she still smelled like pee. So we plopped her in the tub for a splash and then let her air dry and... she still smelled like pee. So now she's in a disposable diaper so we could put cream on her bum (b/c it seemed mildly irritated) and now she doesn't smell like pee, but I'm worried that's because of all the perfumes in the diapers covering it up rather than actually fixing the problem.
    I don't think her cloth diapers need to be stripped, as they are absorbing well...
    What the heck could be causing this problem? Has anyone else had this issue?

Expert Forum User

I know DS's CDs have a wicked ammonia smell first thing in the morning after a long night in the diaper or after they have been sitting out wet for a period. Are you using vinegar to combat the ammonia in the wash?

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I know DS's CDs have a wicked ammonia smell first thing in the morning after a long night in the diaper or after they have been sitting out wet for a period. Are you using vinegar to combat the ammonia in the wash?

MM
    Yep. I just don't understand why this smell is staying with her, KWIM? Even if there was something really wrong with her diapers, once I take them off and clean the area and let her air dry she shouldn't still be smelling like pee... That's why I posted this in W1s rather than NFL, b/c I'm not sure if it has anything to do with her cloth diapers...?