Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Who is gearing up for the fall semester and how do you feel about it?

Roll call!

I am gearing up, and kinda 'omg' about it. I'm doing my undergrad at UWO, this is like my 4th year? so I should be used to it. But man I am not looking forward to the grind... it has been so nice to have the summer off, such freedom! It's the grueling (to me) schedule that gets me more than anything... getting up early, everyone ready and packed, ferrying 6 year old to her school, 2 year old to daycare, and myself to school... ahhhh.....

I love it in many ways, but right now I'm not feeling the love! I'm like, 'Noooooo!!!!!!!'

How bout you?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

We staggered our start dates to avoid biting off more than we could chew. Didn't work, still choking on getting into the routine.

Sorry to be a downer. LOL. Maybe ppl will come post enthusiastic things here. But I am going to miss:

- Sleeping in. Letting the kids stay up til all hours.
    - Lazing around with my coffee.
    - Reading whatever I want to.
    - Tooling around in the neighbourhood, venturing over to Goodwill to see what cool stuff they have.
    - Spending days with my kiddies doing whatever we feel like doing, having adventures.
    - Having my only commitment be a daily 30 min swim lesson for the 6 year old LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    We staggered our start dates to avoid biting off more than we could chew. Didn't work, still choking on getting into the routine.
    Nice idea, but sucks about the choking on the routine!

It's a hard transition...

Alright, I am excited about:

- My new plan to bicycle to campus as often as possible. I will take M to her school first, but most of my commute to my own school is along a lovely part of the bicycle trail.

- My courses are going to be kickass, I am excited about all of them, or I will be once I get over my bitterness at the end of summer.

- Money. Yay OSAP.

- Daycare. Yay freedom! I had a medical appt last week so I had childcare for Z, and I was like woohoo freedom!!! Now that is sad.

- I am hoping to have a routine this year to bring the crazy down a few notches. I should start plotting that out.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

oh no, i just typed out something and then lost it. lol

same, mixed feelings.

i'm worried how i'm going to manage. already it's a big deal for me just to keep up with things around the house, and now i'm going to add another big huge thing to my plate with no childcare for the baby, am i crazy? i'm worried it will sap up all my energy and i just won't have enough to go around.

otoh i've done it before and know i can do it again. i also have the most awesome line up of classes this year, like none of them are degree req's, they're all classes i am very interested in and think i will thoroughly enjoy. which is really awesome and i'm really lucky about that.

so i'm nervous but excited. we'll see how it goes i guess!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Routines! So hard, especially when the kids need them and I would rather just try to work with everyone's energy level in the moment. Like, the boys are totally go go go in the morning and I want to cry. And then in the afternoon I'm caffeinated but the boys are tired from daycare. Sucks.

No childcare for teh bebe, mamabear? What are you doing about during classes?

I only left Z in during classes the first year. It was actually pretty okay. I did essays while nursing LOL.

2 classes online, 1 in person. for the in person class it's twice/week, 3 hours total, dh will take care of her. which reminds me i should probably start pumping to get a stash up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    Routines! So hard, especially when the kids need them and I would rather just try to work with everyone's energy level in the moment. Like, the boys are totally go go go in the morning and I want to cry. And then in the afternoon I'm caffeinated but the boys are tired from daycare. Sucks.
    Ahhh...

Yeah my problem is I just don't think ahead. Like, I won't think 'well I should clean xy and z so my house doesn't become a disaster.' Or, 'the kids will be hungry in an hour and if I make something now it won't be a last minute dash.' Or, 'I should do my readings before I have to prove I did my readings in some fashion.'

I want to make a schedule so I know my daily responsibilities, and figure out when to do them.

I also want to do most of my schoolwork on campus this year as I will have lots of downtime if I go right up to school after taking M to her school. Then I'm not trying to do readings with Z thrusting a Dora book at me.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    2 classes online, 1 in person. for the in person class it's twice/week, 3 hours total, dh will take care of her. which reminds me i should probably start pumping to get a stash up. lol
    Hey, that's what I did! Cool. I tried pumping but most of the time she didn't take the bottle. I couldn't get much milk either honestly. Are you good at pumping? Does yours take the bottle well?

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Ahhh...

Yeah my problem is I just don't think ahead.
    this is my problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Hey, that's what I did! Cool. I tried pumping but most of the time she didn't take the bottle. I couldn't get much milk either honestly. Are you good at pumping? Does yours take the bottle well?
    i haven't tried pumping yet this time and haven't tried a bottle with her yet either. i'd planned to but then forgot about it. (haha, the lack of planning thing as above.) but with bigkidbear i sucked at pumping, and hated it.
    i'm kinda thinking since i'll only be away from her twice a week, for 1 and 2 hours at a time, it might not be needed at all. but i'd like to have a milk stash here for just in case.

I found it wasn't needed overmuch. Good to have a stash tho, for sure.

Mine did cry. But it was for such a short period thankfully. She would do okay but once she started crying nobody could console her. I had her at daycare which was tricky because I would do my work there and if she cried, I would hear it, and I'd wait a bit but then I'd go in. And they would be a little offended. But really, breastfed young baby, of course they're going to have very little luck fixing her.

It's good you have her with her dad, definitely preferable!

She's not quiet by chance and sleepy? I wonder if you could even take her to class... depends on the prof...

i probably could, but i'd rather not. i just feel like she'd be too distracting. if she doesn't do well at home i might consider it though. i've been trying to get her to take a soother, which she does on and off, mostly off lol. dh has learned how to use the mei tai, so that's my big comfort plan. we'll see how it goes.

She might take a soother, or a bottle, for him when you are not there. And M's dad had a lot of luck with her in the baby carrier when she was that age. I hope it goes good for you! It's such a short time, which is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast