Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default French Immersion

Hi all:
    Do any of you live in White Oaks and send your child to French Immersion school? I understand that as of this past Sept Princess Elizabeth on Thompson Rd/Adelaide started up a FI program for SK only and they will be adding in grade 1 FI next Sept. We want to send our son to SK FI next Sept. I want to know is this the school he will have to attend? I assume he'll be bussed? Is it full day every other day schedule?
    Thanks for any info you can give me. I want to attend an info session when those happen but I need to know if this is definitely the school.

When I lived in Elem. I went to FI.

When we moved to White Oaks, I went to Princess Anne Public School. ( Dawn Dr it's in the east end) Can't say enough good things about that school! How many years later, and I still talk with teachers that taught me there, and know quite a few are still there although alot have moved on.
    This is where I will be sending my children.

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful experience with FI yourself. So my sons would go to Princess Anne in the east end of the city, as opposed to Princess Elizabeth (I understood they would have to go there now since they have the FI program started there as of this past Sept?). Maybe I had better call school board to find out what they say?
    Also, if they want to continue on with the FI (I know there is only one high scholl in London which has a full french program, so they wouldn't attend there) but would they go to Laurier? Does Laurier offer a full french immersion program? Thanks again for any info anyone is able to provide!

Expert Forum User

I currently live in white oaks and attended the FI info night last february. MY DD will be in SK sept 08.
    Yes, as of this past september, the boundaries have been changed, Princess Anne WAS the school for this area, now it is Princess Elizabeth on Adelaide. Each year they will add SK class and the school progress in grades until the 1st group completes all grades. The kids would be bussed. Schedule to be determined once they knew where the kids lived who would be attending. I believe it is full day, every day....I only thought 1/2 days was JK, but I am new to this entire process. The only current high school is Laurier- but who knows in years to come with this boom of interest.
    We are actively house hunting and are hoping to be moved before the next school year. The school my children attend is very important to me and I am NOT hearing wonderful things about Princess Elizabeth.
    I welcome to hear from anyone having something positive to say.
    I know there is at least one FI teacher on this board. She may have some helpful input for you.

We will be moving so that our boys do NOT have to attend Princess Elizabeth. I wouldn't send a dog there, let alone my kids. lol

Yep, that's what I thought that it is now Princess Elizabeth. This sucks! I really want my boys to go to FI and we just moved back to White Oaks in mid August and I am not about to uproot again, so this is where we plan to stay for a # of years. I have heard bad things about Princess Elizabeth too. I am hoping since the FI is kind of seperate from the rest of the school that it will be ok? Maybe once all of the other grades for FI are added in, things will change with the school and its reputation. This could take a while none the less. I may have no choice but to send him here. One lady on here who does teach in FI did msg me a long time ago and said it just depends who the teacher is and each person has a different perspective/expereince etc. I guess one good thing about PE school is that there are currently only about 300 students there in total, which is a small #! Perhaps more parents would send their children there for the FI program is the scholl overall had a better rep?

I think you are talking about me...Hi!

I teach SK at Princess Anne and what PP have said is true. There are currently 2 SK classes running out of PE. Next year these students will form the first grade 1 class(es) at that school. I know that they tried last year to move the late immersion (start in Grade 7) students to PE also, but it didn't fly. I'm not sure whether the board is going to try this again this year. Potentially then, there could be SK, Gr 1 and 7 at Princess Elizabeth next year.

Please phone the board office (452-2000) to find out which school your children will attend just to be sure. All FI schools in Thames Valley run their SK programs on the all-day, every other schedule. JK is not offered in FI schools (yet...there is some movement in this area and it may be offered in the next few years, but don't hold me to it Bussing is available if you live outside of the 2km zone of the school. Usually you are notified of your bus stop/route/times by the end of August.

If you are planning to enroll your child in the FI program, please know that our staffing deadlines are mid-March. In other words, if you don't have your child registered by then, the board will not allot staff to account for anyone registering afterwards. In the past, this has resulted in *huge* classes for the first few weeks of school (36+ in my class one year!!). You can register after this date (we are a public board after all) but it does make life more difficult for everyone involved, rearranging classes, finding new teachers, etc.

The information nights typically run in February. You can check the board website (www.tvdsb.on.ca) for specific dates mid-January or so. Please don't hesitate to write me here or PM me if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by mom2two; 12-03-2007 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Oops...forgot some info.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2two View Post
    I think you are talking about me...Hi!

I teach SK at Princess Anne and what PP have said is true. There are currently 2 SK classes running out of PE. Next year these students will form the first grade 1 class(es) at that school. I know that they tried last year to move the late immersion (start in Grade 7) students to PE also, but it didn't fly. I'm not sure whether the board is going to try this again this year. Potentially then, there could be SK, Gr 1 and 7 at Princess Elizabeth next year.

Please phone the board office (452-2000) to find out which school your children will attend just to be sure. All FI schools in Thames Valley run their SK programs on the all-day, every other schedule. JK is not offered in FI schools (yet...there is some movement in this area and it may be offered in the next few years, but don't hold me to it Bussing is available if you live outside of the 2km zone of the school. Usually you are notified of your bus stop/route/times by the end of August.

If you are planning to enroll your child in the FI program, please know that our staffing deadlines are mid-March. In other words, if you don't have your child registered by then, the board will not allot staff to account for anyone registering afterwards. In the past, this has resulted in *huge* classes for the first few weeks of school (36+ in my class one year!!). You can register after this date (we are a public board after all) but it does make life more difficult for everyone involved, rearranging classes, finding new teachers, etc.

The information nights typically run in February. You can check the board website (www.tvdsb.on.ca) for specific dates mid-January or so. Please don't hesitate to write me here or PM me if you have any other questions.
    Mom2two
    Do you know what happens when you already have a child at Princess Anne and one starting in the fall, surely they wouldn't seperate siblings?

Expert Forum User

Schools still 3yrs away for my LO but i really am pro FI, but i don't speak french myself. I've been considering taking night school classes. Do you ladies all speak french? Is it a horrible idea to send my daughter to FI if we don't speak it? (i do realize if she is behind with speach or anything that it is a bad idea but if everything is going well)
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stepher View Post
    Schools still 3yrs away for my LO but i really am pro FI, but i don't speak french myself. I've been considering taking night school classes. Do you ladies all speak french? Is it a horrible idea to send my daughter to FI if we don't speak it? (i do realize if she is behind with speach or anything that it is a bad idea but if everything is going well)
    You don't have to speak French to have your child in French Immersion.

I took french up to OAC in high-school but that is all. My husband did not have to take french in school at all! he did take one french class which was offered last year through the Spectrum book so he learned a tiny bit. We still intend on placing our 2 sons into the FI system. I figure once they are in school and bring home work home, if myself or my husband cannot help, I have a friend out of town who is a french teacher who can possibly help us, as well I may have to look at hiring on a tutor who knows. My SIL's kids (4 of them) all go to FI and neither her nor her husband speak it. The kids know far more french than them since they started school!

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi Iam guessing that when i pm'd youback it did not go through - lol. I will be new to the school as well but from what I understand.. yes you would be in the area for PE... and yes it is full day every other... and yes there are ways around it - lol. We can try the pm again if you like and I can give you more info if i have any.

As for PE.. I was not impressed either... but since then I have meet and talked with a teacher from that school. She loves her school and says they ae very close knit. Even though she is not in the district she would wanther children to go there. She said that they have a bad rep because they are not in a richer neighbourhood... and people associate poor with ignorant, uneductaed, rough, etc. She told me that a lot of the "dangerous" school rep came from an incident thathapened years back with a student who had some mental issues...but that it is a reasonable school now.

I am just wondering what it is others have heard that isnegative?? Is thee anyone with first hand experience?? I mean obviously I do not want to send my child to a school that is not a good choice, but I also do not want to judge the school if it is all rumour mill based kwim??
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Hi Kaitlyn's Mom!
    Weird that it never went through! I am wonering if at the time you send the msg my mailbox was full? Sorry! I'll post here instead. I am glad to hear the rep of the school is improving! Glad to know you've met a teacher from there who loves to teach there! I like the fact that right now only about 300 students attend there. That may change with time and #'s may increase once the entire school is converted to FI. Will your DD be attending there in Sept/08? Reg JK or what? My son Evan would be going into the SK FI program there. Maybe we'll have a chance to meet!
    I had a friend who did a school placement there years ago (when her and I were in the Social Services Worker Progam at Fanshawe College) and she loved it. She did deal with a # of 'special needs' children and lots of behavioural issues but it was totally her forte!
    Now I don't feel as bad about sending my son! he would be bussed from where we live. I am just surprised there isn't an actual FI public school here in White Oaks and PE is the closest one! Same with the fact there isn't a high-school right in White Oaks either...just surprised with it being a highly populated area and all!
    In a lot of ways, a school is what you make it. If parents become involved in as many aspects of a school and their kids learning and the teacher(s), etc...it can make for a much more positive rep and expereince for the school perhaps?
    The fact that it's in a 'poor' area of town doesn't intimidate me at all. Perhaps it's actually a wonderful school afterall? and only we'll know for sure if we're willing to take the chance and send our children there! Another thing I like about it is the fact that it's nice and close to my husband's work! if he ever needed to go in for any reason, it's a hope skip and a jump away! very handy in that respect!

Expert Forum User

I have never had kids at PE either but I can tell you about it's reputation....
    It is the number one school in the city for social services - there is a CAS worker at the school pretty much every day.
    The neighbourhood is not just poor but dangerous IMO, there has been a number of gun fights, knife fights etc in the neighbourhood. The police call it and the corner of Southdale and Bradley the two "top" spots for lethal violence....
    The adult education center is right across the street, not exactly the best of influences for kids that we are trying to get through school on the first try......

That's all I'm going to say about the reputation of the school except to say that PE was the reason we choose not to purchase in that neighbourhood despite the fact I found the perfect house for cheap there....

Well, every1 is entitled to their own opinion. Just an FYI though: there is no Southdale and Bradley intersection....those roads both run the same way! You could be meaning Bradley and Jalna (not far from there I live in a very nice house btw and not a cheap one at that!) or you could be meaning Southdale and Jalna perhaps? but like I said, there is no Bradley/Jalna corner! Knives, guns, violence happen all over the city, even in so called "nice" neighbourhoods including posh areas in the north end of the city! Just because a child comes from a family with money or has it all doesn't mean he/she doesn't become involved in these things! I know enough kids who are/were involved in these things and who come from very well off families Oh and the center across the road is called Glen Cairn Centre and they offer a whole lot more services than you even realize. I have known a # of former classmates from the SSW program who work or have worked there. Just because a person attends such a centre as an adult doesn't make them a "bad" or "poor" parent. there are also many multicultural people and programs offered there as well. Wheable Adult Education Centre (where I did a school placement in the SSW program) is another wonderful school which caters to adults only and there is nothing wrong with that. A lot of the population which attends there are people who recently came to Canada from another country and want to learn English and get their high-school diplomas. it isn't just for "drop out" etc.
    That's all I'm gonna say.
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 12-04-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast