Thread: Nail Biting

Default Nail Biting

Hey girls! I don't know why or how this started but my oldest DD has formed the awful
    habit of biting her nails. I don't do this nor does her father. But her thumb (which is the nail she bites the most) Is starting to go red. I felt it and it doesn't seem to hurt her. I am trying so hard to deter her away from this habit but every time I pull her finger away from her mouth and she puts it back in with a laugh or a smirk, like saying you're not going to stop me! I just want her to stop !

Melanie
    mommy to
    Hailey 3
    Hannah 2

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

She's smirking because it draws your attention. Now is the time to ignore it. I got my son out of biting his nails by trying to trim them with the clippers and acting VERY disappointed when he had NO nails to cut. It took quite a while and either he grew out of it, or I broke the habit... or it was pure luck.

Expert Forum User

I'm afraid ignoring it may not work if it has already become a habit. My 8 y/o started around age 4, and I let it go at first, but now it really frustrates me to no end!! He also likes to pick at dry skin on his finger tips and it is making them sore, ofcourse...but this doesn't stop him.

I heard there is some stuff you can put on their nails that tastes really bad, but I haven't looked into that yet. I was unsure about using products on him when he was younger, like yours, and since then just never got around to it.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My 4 yo just started getting into this same habit! It bugs me no end. He has bitten the nails down so low it must hurt! Everytime I look over at him, there he is biting them yet again! He never liked either DH or I cutting his fingers nails with the clippers, so maybe this is the reason he took up this habit? I have a terrible habit of picking the skin on my thumbs (have done it since I was 2 and I am now 34!). I will often be wearing bandaides around my thumbs to prevent me from picking them! It's a silly habit and I don't even know why I started it. I was considering buying the yucky tasting stuff to put on my sons fingers as well. Just have no clue what it's called or where it's sold?
    Last edited by 2boysmom; 11-29-2007 at 06:55 PM.

Expert Forum User

I'm not much help... my oldest DD also just started doing this on occasion. Problem here is that I have been a nail biter since I was a kid and still can't seem to kick the habit. I know it is a gross one... I think I am just going to keep my DD's nails trimmed as best I can so that she doesn't have anything to bite. Hopefully you will be able to stop it since you and your DH don't have the same habit.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    He never liked either DH or I cutting his fingers nails with the clippers, so maybe this is the reason he took up this habit?
    My kids hate getting them clipped, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    I have a terrible habit of picking the skin on my thumbs (have done it since I was 2 and I am now 34!). I will often be wearing bandaides around my thumbs to prevent me from picking them!
    I used to bite my nails as a child, too. You may have something, here! I also hated having my hair washed and both my boys scream blue murder when I try to wash their hair. Maybe bad habits genetic?
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.