Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Question Separation issues with Daddy

Hi Ladies,

I am sure there must be a few of you who have the same problem. I know my daughter Alysa loves me but sometimes I feel like she doesn’t…. lately she has gotten into this stage where whenever Daddy leaves (even to go to the bathroom or something) she cries and has a total melt down. It MIGHT be because Alysa, myself, and Kiana spent 3 weeks in BC last month (Daddy stayed here to work) and she may think that when Daddy leaves he will be gone for a long time. (??) But now that I am back at work (I didn’t qualify for mat benefits, short like 30hrs or something) I feel like she is upset at me for leaving her all day.

Any ideas on how to help her out with this? We are hoping it’s just a phase but it breaks me heart to see her SOOO upset that Daddy is gone and doesn’t really bat an eye when I leave
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Aww poor little one. I wish I could help but I havent' had much experience with separation anxiety but here are a few ideas that you could try. be sure that when daddy leaves the room or house etc... he says I'll be right back. Let her know that he'll be back soon. The other thing is is there some shirt or other item that your dh could wear then give it to your dd to hang onto while he is gone?? Oh one other thing I just thought of is read the " kissing hand " to her. Then have dh kiss her hand everytime he goes and she can just touch it to her cheek to remember him everytime she misses him. Hope you can find a soloution to your problem soon. HUGS
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Aw those ideas are so cute! When Matt does go to work Alysa has gotten into the habit of giving Daddy a stuffed animal or a toy to bring to work with him. We have tried the "be right back" and stuff method but I think she honestly thinks that when daddy goes to work he will be gone for a long time cause when we went to BC that's what we told her he was doing (which is true) so I dunno.. she is having some better days but still. It breaks my heart to see her cry so hard sometimes she sweats alot.

I will totally try the kiss idea though, hopefully she is old enough to understand it.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)