Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Would I potentially qualify for something?

Just checking if I am missing anything after having a chat with my lawyer. Long story short: I do not work. I am a sinlge mother of two young kids, each with unique needs and I myself have some needs. Daegan (8.5yrs) is the more "traditional" special needs kid (I write about him often). He has a very busy schedule of appointments and demands. Taylor (12yrs) is newly diagnosed with psychological issues (depresion, anxiety, adjustment disorder). I currently have a 42% loss of vestibular functioning on one side. Looks like I'll be heading into court again to "resolve" (lol) issues pertaining to my 2003 separation and feel I will need to aggressively defend the fact I am unemployed. My lawyer wants me to look into any other funding sources that I may qualify for. OW and disability being two things specifically mentioned by name. What do you think? Would I have a valid claim to receive either of these (or something else) or am I the one being unreasonable? I have no idea as I have never inquired before.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

OW - Yes, unless your income is above the maximum that they give you. For a single mom with two kids, I believe they give something like $950? Just under $1000. You can keep your CCTB and UCB on top of that, but they take child support dollar for dollar.

ODSP - I dont know, as I am not familiar with your disability at all, sorry, nor do I know what their criteria are. You could certainly call and find out tho.

if your income from support is below what OW would pay yes you would qualify as for ODSP the worst that can happen is they say no right?

OW will most likely give you a waiver for job search becasue of your little guy
    Last edited by sittingpretty; 08-20-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

That's too bad that your lawyer doesn't find out for you......as they are there to help......however I don't know the situation, and maybe your lawyer doesn't specialize is this area.
    I do know that OW has an intake number or something like that, where you apply over the phone (and I think they can tell you right away whether you would qualify or not), maybe the disability has one too?

If you do qualify for OW, I think they would provide you with a bus pass or gas money for those apts. you have to take your son to.

Good luck, and hang in there. I'm sure either OW or disability will be able to lead you in the right direction if they cannot help.
    Hugs

If you do qualify for OW, I think they would provide you with a bus pass or gas money for those apts. you have to take your son to.
    They will only if she is NOT getting money for transportation from the ACSD becasue that would be double dipping and OW, ODSP and ACSD are all linked together

Banned

HAve you applied for ACSD for at least your son? I'm pretty sure he would qualify easily.

It cant't hurt to call and have a package/application send out for you and your DS.

Expert Forum User

Daegan is hooked up with everything that is possibly available (to my knowledge) thus he makes pretty good money each month. ACSD, disability, SS@H, cleft-palate/craniofacial dental program, and until recently incontinence grant & top-up funding. In addition to this I get child and spousal support. $743 child support for the two kids and $400 for spousal. Grand total for suport is $1,143.00/mth. The ex contributes 50% for Taylor's dental and optical, that's it as far as s7's.

Aside from the money I have coming in each month, I expect disqualification due to the fact that I am currently living in one of my parents houses. I have not paid rent since 2006. I used to pay $600/mth for living expenses but they told me to stop so that I could redirect my money towards caring for the kids, pay legal fees, and put myself through college. They are allowing to to stay in the house and do not expect any money. I'm thinking I should start paying towards living expenses (rent and utilities) prior to applying. I have asked doctors about disability for me.. if my condition qualifies and it has been brushed off and I haven't pushed because I had nothing solid in terms of diagnosis until recently.

Banned

As long as you are living rent/utilities free I doubt you would qualify. If your parents started to charge you for these thing , financially you might get a top up. it wouldn't be huge, but you would get dental for yourself and your dd.

It can't hurt to try

Um from looking at the directives you support puts you over the limit ( basic needs is 367 for 3 and rent is 607 for 3) to qualify but that does not mean you could not get just the drug and dental cards.

When OW looks at your income they would only look at the support as stuff for a childs disability is exempt from income

Expert Forum User

Yeah, I personally never even considered applying for OW because I was confident that I would not qualify. Mind you I never thought that you could get just the benefit cards... dental in particular would be real nice as I am starting to get my teeth fixed. One wisdom tooth was removed a few weeks ago. Disability wasn't a huge deal for me either because I just don't think I will get it.

This is just something that needs to be addressed because my ex and his lawyer are going to try and make a huge deal out of the point that I do not have a job. Honestly, the only thing I have always contended since I left the marriage is that I want to get what-ever I am legally entitled to. In actuality the guideline child support amount I am getting is outdated... based on a 2005 intern court order... I should be getting a little bit more. Essentially I want him to start reimbursing me for S7 expenses and ideally (because I know his personality prevents this) is to get off my case about not working. He honestly has no idea what it takes to raise these two kids... he is absolutely clueless because he has always refused to partake in it.. right from day one when they were born.

I think I am being fair and reasonable.

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I dont' know the ins and outs of the law or court rooms, but I would imagine that the judge/court system will see that you are taking care of your children, and will maybe even put your ex in his place, but who knows.

You should bring all sorts of letters (I think you've mentioned this before), from doctors, from the daycare, etc., expressing just how important it is that you take care of your kids. Maybe even a medical professional's opinion on the state of your children too (allowing the judge to see what you deal with on a daily basis).

I'm sorry that you are going through this, totally unfair.
    Hugs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya-Mae View Post
    Yeah, I personally never even considered applying for OW because I was confident that I would not qualify. Mind you I never thought that you could get just the benefit cards... dental in particular would be real nice as I am starting to get my teeth fixed. One wisdom tooth was removed a few weeks ago. Disability wasn't a huge deal for me either because I just don't think I will get it.

This is just something that needs to be addressed because my ex and his lawyer are going to try and make a huge deal out of the point that I do not have a job. Honestly, the only thing I have always contended since I left the marriage is that I want to get what-ever I am legally entitled to. In actuality the guideline child support amount I am getting is outdated... based on a 2005 intern court order... I should be getting a little bit more. Essentially I want him to start reimbursing me for S7 expenses and ideally (because I know his personality prevents this) is to get off my case about not working. He honestly has no idea what it takes to raise these two kids... he is absolutely clueless because he has always refused to partake in it.. right from day one when they were born.

I think I am being fair and reasonable.

Expert Forum User

it wouldn't hurt to apply the worse they can say is no. They had said no to us a few times before and we thought we had no other option we applied again and were accepted
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

Expert Forum User

Alright.. .throwing a curveball into this situation... I GOT A JOB!!!!!!

I had applied and interviewed for a full-time term EA position. We were all told that a decision would be made by the end of that day. I had two missed calls on my cell and assumed I did not get it. Today I got the call!!!! I will be working Mon-Fri from 8:30 to 2:30 for one year. I am estatic and overwhelmed all at the same time. Health wise, I am putting myself into denial about my ear condition and putting full trust into the physio that is scheduled to start on Monday. I am confident that I can schedule “something“ in terms of getting my kids to and from their schools... I just need to determine where Daegan is going still. What will be the most difficult will be how am I going to manage the appointment schedule that the three of us have and the surgery I have booked for the end of October??? Somehow it will work itself out, just don't know how yet.

Expert Forum User

Congrats on getting the job! You still have some time to sort out the details. Could you schedule all of the appointments for the last appointment of the day or could family/friends help out for a bit?

Expert Forum User

I figure I start really focusing on being ultra efficient with the out-of-town appointments. Have multiple clinics on a day... easier to schedule time off for a whole day than a series of part days. Lots of trips to Sick Kids. Also, as you say, schedule things for the end of the day, or the very beginning of the day. Unfortunately I am the only one who can take them to their appointments. Only family I have are my parents. My dad works full time and my mother does not drive. I suppose my daughter could start attending her therapy sessions (or at least some) without me. My parents live close to the hospital where her therapist is. Friends.. I don't have many of those as I do not get out. Family (my kids) monopolizes my life... I live in a bubble.

Regardless... things will be fine.. they have to be!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast