Default Kawaii's...need your input!

So I've decided to switch to cloth diapers...and I've been looking at different websites and such trying to see what's out there....I want an All in one/one size fits all diaper, and am in love with how cute the Kawaii Minkee Bamboo diapers are....just checked out a site that had AIO at almost$30 a diaper...the kawaii's on luvyourbaby site are only about $10....why the significant price difference, and do any of you have good things to say about the kawaii's?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by slowlygoingcrazy View Post
    So I've decided to switch to cloth diapers...and I've been looking at different websites and such trying to see what's out there....I want an All in one/one size fits all diaper, and am in love with how cute the Kawaii Minkee Bamboo diapers are....just checked out a site that had AIO at almost$30 a diaper...the kawaii's on luvyourbaby site are only about $10....why the significant price difference, and do any of you have good things to say about the kawaii's?
    Price difference is because there is no retail mark up to speak of. Most retailers mark up prices in order to make selling the diapers viable. Kawaii is a one person show, reselling diapers she orders from china. Her prices are low because she aims for the economy of scale profits and her client base is off of ebay, so no brick and mortar to upkeep.

Some brands of cloth diaper are still made in Canada/States, or are wahm made, and you are going to pay more for those to reflect the increased cost of labour in north america.

I don't think that there is any difference between her diapers and say, bumgenius/fuzzibunz in terms of material quality. The main complaint she has against her (that I have heard) is switching material colours/prints with out telling people, for example she runs out of one shade of blue and the reordered shade is slightly lighter or darker.

The fit is also different, but all brands fit differently and that has nothing to do with price.

I also think you want to clarify the difference between an AIO and a pocket. She lists the diapers as all-in-one on her website, but what she is selling are pocket diapers. AIO come with the inserts sewn in, they take longer to dry, and they are more prone to build up. With pockets you can remove the inserts, customize how many inserts you want in your diapers, and they come apart for easy cleaning and quick drying.

I also don't think you should be too hung up on the bamboo. Bamboo is great, but the other cheaper kawaii diapers are just as good. I always recommend newbies get a variety of diapers (try used maybe) to test the fit before committing lots of money to one specific diaper.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 08-19-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Expert Forum User

I am going to be watching this thread as I want to do the same to try to save some money.

My question is that if I dont' want them sent out to be washed by a company can I do it at home myself?
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Expert Forum User

I came to give my input, but think Danielle covered it all!! I would second buying some used!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by suddserifec View Post
    I am going to be watching this thread as I want to do the same to try to save some money.

My question is that if I dont' want them sent out to be washed by a company can I do it at home myself?
    Oh yeah, thats what most of us do is wash them at home! Its not hard at all!! As long as you have a washer you're good to go. You may just need to get a different detergent that doesn't leave residue. Like Charlies, or Rocking Green. General idea with washing cloth is rinse, wash, rinse, and usually in hot.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

i like the kawaiis i have, they're my favourites actually.

good idea to try a few different things before investing bc not everything will fit most likely. although ive had a lot of luck with one size dpes in terms of fit bc they do have to be very versatile size wise

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
    . You may just need to get a different detergent that doesn't leave residue. Like Charlies, or Rocking Green. .
    Just be careful with the Charlies, speaking from experience, Zayden got a wicked chemical burn from it.
    I use it on my clothes though with no probelms .

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

Yeah, I“ve heard that MrsCrunchy, so wierd! I've never had any probs with it personally!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I have also had good experience washing with Nature Clean which is cheeper than Rockin Green and can be bought at RCSS in the organic section.

I have the regular minky Kawaiis and the bamboo kawaiis.....they are comparable IMO. The bamboo inserts are thinner....that is my only notable difference. As time has passed though I have found that my regular kawaiis actually absorb better than the bamboos unless I use both inserts in the bamboos.
    "Anything is better than lies and deceit". Leo Tolstoy

i have been loving my kawaii diapers - including the minky bamboo. they absorb better than my happy heiny's and i can typically use one insert with them instead of two! what i like about the minky bamboo is that they are thinner, even when you use both inserts - a bonus in my opinion.

the one thing about the kawaii diapers that i find a bit annoying is that the snaps work differently on the different types of dipes - minky bamboo is one way, regular minky another, etc. but that is a small complaint.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

A couple of random thoughts You're paying a lot more in Canada than the US on some brands because of duty - in particular Bumgenius I know it makes a huge difference above the US prices which makes the price difference between that and Kawaii even bigger! I'm not sure how she is setup, but if she is shipping CHina to the US and then individual shipments to Canada, it could be avoiding the duty costs.

In terms of washing detergents, diaper jungle has a great list. Many 'regular' detergents are fine for cloth diapers, you're needing to avoid ones where there they have extra stuff added that is designed to stay on the fabric (softeners, things to make it continuously smell good, etc)
    Cloth Diaper Detergent Chart - Best Detergent for Diapers

Kat

I use Kawaii and like them a lot. I used Kushies for my first son and absolutely hated them. I have a few Kushies for my second son... but they are just back up diapers (nothing like leaky poopy diapers to get you motivated to wash your good ones!)

I highly recommend the minky over the regular pockets. Also, the overnight diapers are great. I stuff 2 liners in one of those and my 11 week old sleeps soundly for 6 hours without fussing that he is wet. Even when he wakes in the morning, he isn't fussing.

There are often co-ops for Kawaii diapers here... not sure when you need them and if you could wait till someone does a co-op again... or you can start one too to see interest (there seems to be a lot of interest for diaper co-ops)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lhastie View Post
    A couple of random thoughts You're paying a lot more in Canada than the US on some brands because of duty - in particular Bumgenius I know it makes a huge difference above the US prices which makes the price difference between that and Kawaii even bigger! I'm not sure how she is setup, but if she is shipping CHina to the US and then individual shipments to Canada, it could be avoiding the duty costs.
    No, she ships from China directly to Canada, the US is not involved in that at all - she is out of BC.

Duty on diapers is 18% if you can't prove nafta (and most can't) so the canadian prices are really high because the gov needs their cut too!

Expert Forum User

Too bad you just missed the group order I just ran for testers on bamboo minky diapers. There were 16 people who ended up ordering and they are super cute and squishy. There are still 4 orders waiting to be picked up, I suppose if any of them back down, I could let you know. They are testing them for a friend of mine who lives in Halifax and is starting up a cloth diaper business.

Anyhow, I'll be running coops from time to time for her but she currently only carries one-size pocket minkies with snaps (in both microfiber and bamboo inserts). She's placing an order for more bamboo diapers soonish but she's awaiting some feedback from the testers first. I know she has plenty of stock in the regular minkies and IMO the colours she has right now are awesome (violet, light purple, baby blue, cornflour blue, fire orange, cream, creamy brown cow, black & white cow, tiger, giraffe and blue with white polkadots).

If there is enough interest, I could run a coop for the non-bamboo minkies.
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda