Expert Forum User

Default Question for moms with preemies

The nurses have been mentioning immunizations since Benjamin is now 2 mths old. I didn't even think about it at all. My kids are immunized so its not a question of doing it or not its more of question when. Benjamin has had 3 major surgeries in a month..he's only 10 days post surgery. He has been on a lot of different medications and I'm kind of feeling like I don't want to introduce anything else right now. Did you immunize on schedule or delay them?

Banned

My brother and sil. Did delay Jackson's vac's. Not Connors. I'm asuming it was because Jackson had so many surgeries and seemed so much sicker then Connor who only had the one surgery at 6 days old.

Go with your gut, I don't see any harm in delaying for a bit, the poor little guy has been through so much in the past 2 months.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

DD got all her vaccinations on time.. her first set were at the hospital before she came home.... with that being said DD had not just recovered from any major surgeries. I would go with your gut. For us, DD has such a weak immunity I was terrified to introduce anything into her system but with her liklihood of picking up everything and anything we did go the immunization route (she does not have her chicken pox though). Immunizations were also reccomended to us to be done by actual birth age and not corrected age (unless you choose to delay them). Good luck with your decision and I am glad to hear that he is fighting through each and every surgery. You have such a tough little boy!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

My son had all his immunizations according to his birth age...so they didn't delay them at all. I'm imagining that with surgeries, maybe they would hold off though?
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

In reality he's still not suppose to be here, so really you're not delaying the vaccinations. Ryan git his when he was 3 months old, because he had been pretty sick when they where suppose to be done.

Expert Forum User

i think i would wait....at least until he reaches his corrected age....jmo
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I was surprised that the NICU stated it was to be done by birth age since everything else under the sun is corrected age but that was what they suggested.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

Ya, I'm thinking I might wait for his corrected age. he's been through so much..I just feel better waiting. I'm not really worried about him no being protected. He's going to in the hospital in more of a controlled setting for a while so we'll just wait it out.

Expert Forum User

Jenna's were delayed but Emma's were not. Jenna was much sicker and on a lot of meds ext, Emma was a “feed and grow“ baby.

Expert Forum User

I would likely wait until the corrected age. We did not wait but as PP said they were “feed and grow“ babies. They both had an infection but it did not result in surgery.
    Last edited by twinmommy; 08-23-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Honestly, my inclination would be to would wait for at least his corrected age, and then also consider when that time comes what issues he's still dealing with. I do think the fact that he's had several surgeries and he's only 10 days post-op is a major consideration about the state of his immune system right now. Just my 2 cents...
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Expert Forum User

We delayed here, partly so that their immune systems were more mature, and partly because of sickness at the time. Neither of my kids had surgery either. Personally I would delay, but it's your decision. The nurses should respect any decision you make.

what does your doctor say? do you trust your doctor?

Expert Forum User

The doctors and nurses seem to be neutral on the subject. No one will give their opinion one way or the other...I guess that's safest for them.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

With all he's been going through I don't think it will hurt to delay them a month or two. You'll make the right decision no matter what you decide.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.