Default Swimming lessons..

the kids have never taken swimming lessons before.. If I want to sign them up for 2 sessions, do I assume they will pass level one in the first session, and register for level 2 for the second session?

If i do register for a level up for the second session, what happens if they don't pass the first level? can they be placed in another class, or if those classes are full are we out of luck?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Are they able to swim? I would read over the passing requirements for the level you plan to put them in and see how realistic it is for them to achieve those skills in that amount of time. If they fail, you'll have to switch classes for the next session, and yes, if they're full you're SOL.

No, they can't swim.. they are 5 and 7 so I was going to sign them up for the entry level classes for the first session in each of their ages.. Sea turtle and Level 1?

Expert Forum User

I would call and just check their policy. I wondered about this too and spoke to the woman who organizes the lessons (NOT in London) and for here, she says to book them in the next one assuming they will pass, and if they don't, they would make room for her in the original class - not sure if it works the same for the London classes.....
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

No, AFAIK, it doesn't work that way. If the class is full, they go on a waiting list. Unless they've changed their policy recently?

Expert Forum User

I did it the opposite way, I assumed DS was going to fail his first level and need to repeat it, so registered him in the same level again. Of course, he passed lol. Luckily there was room in the next level.

I'm pretty sure he will be repeating the current level though.
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    No, AFAIK, it doesn't work that way. If the class is full, they go on a waiting list. Unless they've changed their policy recently?
    sorry turtle - this was through another organization so London could be very different!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Smile

I wouldn't assume. I always sign up for the same level because it doesn't hurt to repeat & then if she passes, I try to get a spot in the next level at that point because otherwise, you may end up with no spot at all! My daughter has been in the pool since she was a few weeks old and taking lessons since she was 4. She passed through the early levels quickly ( she could already swim before lessons) but she has had to repeat the higher levels. Many kids have to repeat the early ones also & I find that it's impossible to guess because often the instructors don't even know if your child will pass or fail until the last couple of sessions. Every time I guess, I'm wrong. I went with a more private swim school in the early stages & switched to the Y in the past year which worked well for us. Congrats on signing them up. I personally believe that learning to swim is the most important survival skill for all children to have

IF you go to the courses through the city of london, they had my daughter jump in the water during public swim to see he ability and then placed her in the appropriate class. My 5 year old from doing that started in Salamander.

I wouldn't worry too much about signing them up ahead of time, but maybe I was just lucky, I got them both in for the following week after I signed them up.

IF you go to the courses through the city of london, they had my daughter jump in the water during public swim to see he ability and then placed her in the appropriate class. My 5 year old from doing that started in Salamander.

I wouldn't worry too much about signing them up ahead of time, but maybe I was just lucky, I got them both in for the following week after I signed them up.

I wouldn't assume they are going to pass. It took my DD 5 times before she passed sea turtle (might have been earlier if there were not certain issues with a teacher the first time she took it that scared DD).
    Now she is in Salamander and she has taken it 2 times so far.
    I never sign DD up for the next block of swimming lessons until the last block of swimming lessons is done and I know if it was a pass or a fail.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

Assuming they are not fearful of the water, if I was to go one way or the other, I would assume they will pass because they will be in basic levels. If they are fearful/hesitant, I guess I would assume they wouldn't. This is just based on my own experiences. Once they get into more difficult levels, I think it's safer to assume they won't pass.