Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming Pools

Default Swimming Pools

Anyone that has a pool having troubles keeping the chemicals in line this year?? What are your probs? We have had a very hard time the past couple years in the month of August.
    Comments???

Yes. We just moved into our new house, and are new to the pool scene, but are having a problem keeping the chlorine levels up, even with stabilizer. We have been thinking it is due the extreme heat we've been having. I was actually discussing this with a friend who has a pool and is having the same problem this year, but didn't experience it last year. She said that last year she only shocked the pool once a week, and this year she is adding chlorine every 2-3 days, which is the same with us. It has to be the heat eating it up.

Expert Forum User

Our pool has been fine (salt water) but my inlaws had extremely high phosphates this year and have been having some issues (fresh water, chlorine).

I've had troubles with alkalinity and ph which is causing my pool to turn into a swamp..lol. Anyone know how to raise alkalinity?? I have ph boost.

Expert Forum User

We raise our alkalinity with Alka+. If you take a pool sample to a pool place like Skyview, they will do a computer analysis of your water and tell you what to add (but you don't have to buy the chemicals there). Bad alkalinity and pH don't usually cause swampy water? Maybe you have other problems too?

Expert Forum User

I was going to say check your phosphates. They have been trouble for several people I know this year.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

lol...call me the pool dummy...phosphates?? on my tester i have bromine (which is for hot tub so i ignore), chlorine, alkalinity, ph and stability. I am lost when you say phospates....but I am predicting this could be my prob

Expert Forum User

I don't know if they sell testers for that or if you need to take a water sample to a pool place. Anyone know for sure?
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Slipp View Post
    lol...call me the pool dummy...phosphates?? on my tester i have bromine (which is for hot tub so i ignore), chlorine, alkalinity, ph and stability. I am lost when you say phospates....but I am predicting this could be my prob
    You've got to get this tested at a pool place as far as I know. A normal reading is 0-300 and my inlaws pool was 1000!!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by NicChick View Post
    Yes. We just moved into our new house, and are new to the pool scene, but are having a problem keeping the chlorine levels up, even with stabilizer. We have been thinking it is due the extreme heat we've been having. I was actually discussing this with a friend who has a pool and is having the same problem this year, but didn't experience it last year. She said that last year she only shocked the pool once a week, and this year she is adding chlorine every 2-3 days, which is the same with us. It has to be the heat eating it up.
    Do you hang your stabilizer on the deep end pool ladder in a knee high? This works way better than adding it to the skimmer. I had to have stabilizer constantly hanging for 3 weeks before I got our reading up high enough. Have you had a pool place test your stabilizer level or are you just assuming you don't have enough stabilizer?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Slipp View Post
    Take a sample in, if its your phosphates you will probably need to floc it.

Thanks ladies for the suggestions..the frustrations would of continued for me with the swamp..lol if I hadn't made this post. I read up on phosphates and this sounds like the root of the problem! Off to the pool store I go..lol.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We take a pool sample every other week to Discounter poool because they test EVERRYTHING and they never pressure us to buy stuff. If it is your alkalinity I believe it may be the sodium bicarb you need .. but honestly they tell you exactly what and how much and how to put it in. They are AWESOME!

we have had a hard time keeping the clorine/stabalizer good this year, but just have to be consistent and keep at it with the heat and constant use.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think Kaitlyn's mommy is right alkalinity is sodium bicarb. Put it in a woman's knee high and tie it to your ladder or another place where the water from the return will circulate it.
    Swampy water sounds more like algae though. Is it green or brown? describe your swamp. lol If it is algae it can be a big job to fix especially if you've been running your pump while having the problem. You need to kill it and vacuum to drain. then look at your sand filter...you may need to change out the sand. Definitely take in a sample to a pool store.
    Our pool has been fine but we keep the chemicals really simple and haven't had a problem in years. Our first year was brutal. We are burning through a lot of chlorine this year because of the heat. Come to think of it are you keeping a floaty in the pool with pucks? It helps keep up our levels and then we only need to shock once in awhile.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

The pool store in wdsk told us that they wouldn't even test the water just to jack the chlorine really high, brust the walls and bottom and then clean the pool tomorrow.
    If the prob is phosphates, will this help??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast