Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Farms...

Default Tree Farms...

When I was little we always went to a tree fram and seached the lot for the perfect tree. We would cut it down and carry it together back, put it into the tree shaker.... We drank hot chocolate and apple cider and made a wonderful day out of it. This was a very special day for us. My mom asked me if we could do it this year for her christmas present (Her, my dad me and my 2 kids) to kind of renew the tradition. the problem is the tree farm we always went to is now closed (they don't do cut your owns)

So I was wondering if anyone knew where in the London area we can go to cut down our own tree?

Expert Forum User

We went to Youngs tree Farms yesterday to cut our tree down. It is $30 I think for any tree you cut. They have free marshmallows to roast and free hot chocolate and apple cider. There is also a tractor ride. We had no problem finding a free to cut. We love going as a family. The kids really enjoy it.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Where is that can I ask??
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

HippieMama

Oooh, this is a good idea! The last few years, we've gone to Home Depot, but I'd like to make it more of an event (and support a local tree farmer).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We do it every year with my extended family and I love it. We have gone to Young's Farm and we really enjoyed it. I can't tell you where it is because we go to different farms all the time and every year the entire family seems to forget where they are and we get lost. Hopefully this year will be different
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

how do you maintain one in your home? what stand do you use/what do you put in the bottom? I was contemplating getting a real tree this year (something we've never done before) because we threw out our old ratty fake tree before we moved...

Young's Tree Farm: 13073 Twelve Mile Road, Ilderton. Head North on Hyde Park Road, you'll see signs.
    Lori, Momma to Malcolm and Ben

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    how do you maintain one in your home? what stand do you use/what do you put in the bottom? I was contemplating getting a real tree this year (something we've never done before) because we threw out our old ratty fake tree before we moved...
    Buy a tree stand at Canadian Tire or such place, keep it constantly full of water and close any heating vents close by to where the tree is going to be. Enjoy!!!
    Lori, Momma to Malcolm and Ben

We own a great pre-lit tree, but I am always nostalgic of the times when I was a kid when we went to cut down a tree. It was very, very, very special day for us as well. Maybe sometime we'll have two trees! LOL. I still love putting up my tree, even though it is fake. I miss the smell though. I think this year I'm going to grab some pine garland to try to bring the smell in.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

I read a couple of years ago to put boiling or very hot water in you tree stand because it softens up the sap that closes up where you cut your tree at the trunk. (does that make sense??) We have done that the last couple of years and our tree always lasts till after New Years. Also make sure your tree never runs out of water. That is a really big one to remember.

Hmmm...I will have to try the boiling water thing. I know you need to recut the trunk when you get home and place it in the stand immediately after recutting it for the same reason. Usually the trees take A LOT of water the first day or two so be sure to keep checking them. After that they seem to take in less.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

You don't need to do the boiling water thing if you cut the bottom few inches off.
    We have tried all sorts of things to get our tree to last inside for the entire month of December with no luck. A few of the things we have found that actually extends the life of a tree is keeping it outside in the cold (in a bucket of water - be careful it doesn't freeze!!) until I'm actually ready to decorate the tree. Cut off the bottom few inches the day you bring it in. We ad a can of Sprite or 7up to the first load of water and sugar when we water - WATER EVERYDAY!!!!!
    Last year we used the Glad "Press and Seal" and wrapped it around the tree stand. I found we had less water evaporating that way and we have to leave the vents open beside the tree because they are the only ones in the room and it gets really cold in there without heat....

Expert Forum User

We always put our tree in a bucket of water outside and re-cut right before we bring it inside and we still use the boiling water. It seems to work for us.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I too have heard that adding sugar to the water helps to prolong the life of the tree. i also heard that if you cut an X in the bottom before putting it in the water the first time this helps. Not sure about this, but that was the advice I was given theother day hen thinking about going to get our tree. we hope to gte it this weekend... and I really really realy hope it lasts through Christmas because everyone is coming here this year - lol
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

It also depends on what kind of tree you get as to how long it will last. From what I remember and don't quote me it is that Firs last the longest, followed by pines and last are spruces. Firs cost more and are hard to find at cut your own but often they have precut ones at the tree farms - of course then you are also trading a bit of freshness. The other advantage to firs is that the needles are soft and not very pokey so if they fall off or I should say when they fall off...the kids don't get pricked.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast