Expert Forum User

Default Night Sweats and more! HELP!

DD, who will be 3 in May is having really bad night sweats. This has been going on for @6 months now that we have noticed, but she has always been one to wake frequently during the night and have very short naps (about an hour always!). It doesn't matter if she is having her nap (which is usually shortened considerably by these) or it's night time (which she wakes up about 1-2 hours into) she always wakes up drenched! Her hair is soaked, as is her p.j.'s and sometimes we have to change her p.j.'s totally.

In the last couple of weeks, when it happens I have been taking her temp because the daycare has been saying she is waking with a mild fever at nap time and we haven't seen this at home. Her temp is totally normal, if not a bit low! (35.5-36.1 C range) I know fevers cause night sweats, but I find it strange that there is no fever with it most of the time.

She doesn't have a whole lot of bedding on her bed. (A sheet and a thin quilt/comforter) Her p.j.'s are usually thin cotton, nothing too "fuzzy", etc. Her room is, if anything, cold when I check on her. I get a chill when I walk in, so I know it is not too hot.

Just to add to all of this, I should say that she has had other "symptoms" that may or may not be connected as well. She has had what we think are absense seizures for over a year now (that we have been investigating) that an EEG didn't conclude, but we know something is going on. She has had less and less of them, but every once in awhile, she has a bad one. She has woken on occasion complaining her head hurt, or her knee hurts (this one A LOT!) She has a very high pain tolerence and has had the occasional ear infection that we were not even aware of but were very bad! When she wakes with these sweats, she screams and cries and gets VERY angry with us if we even touch her. It is almost impossible to calm her and she is usually awake for at least a half hour screaming.

I think that is all I can think of now, but am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this one? I am definately going to mention it to the doctor, but wanted to know if this was normal, or could it be serious? I feel so bad for her as she is losing sleep over this.
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

5_Devilish_Angels

This sounds just like my youngest twin son who is 3 yrs old. He wakes almost routinely an hour to two hours after he is asleep he wakes screamming and kicking. I have mentioned this to our doctor and he seems to think that because it happens on a regular basis and is happening at a "predictable" amount of time after he is in bed that it is most likely night terrors. That if my son is highly imagnative and very active that he is most likely still "playing" his games in his sleep. As well if you are sure your daughter is having absence seizures it could just be her having these seizures on a "grander" scale while she is sleeping. My oldest twin has absence seizures and we are waiting his MRI and had the EEG and nothing was found on that. My youngest son is 2 yrs old and had had grand mal seizures since he was 4 mths old.

Good luck

Let us know how she is doing.
    Annie

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the info. I have had a lot of people mentioning night terrors to me. I am thinking that is what it is, but will mention it to the doc. DD is "highly imagnative and very active" so that sounds right to me.

Just wanted to pick your brain about the seizures though. How long has your son been having them that you noticed? I thought I noticed somehting off with Haley when she was still crawling, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until I saw a really bad one last January. (she was 1 1/2) What does he do so that you know they are absence seizures? I took Haley for her EEG in August and the neurologist said that he was going to schedule a sleep deprived one because she didn't sleep during it. Everything looked normal on the first one. He also asked us to video tape them. Um... yeah right... they are like 20-30 sec long and unpredictable... how am I supposed to do that? I guess since we didn't take the tape into him, he thought they stopped and didn't persue it. I am really frustrated because they are telling me nothing is wrong, but I know this isn't normal. She will get all lethargic and sucky after a spell and just isn't herself. (she is very "spunky" normally) I have seen eye rolls on the occasional one, but most of the time she just stares off and loses muscle control (slumps over)

Would love to hear what your experiences are with these so I can get an idea of what is going on here. Thanks so much!
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

5_Devilish_Angels

Since i have 2 children with epilepsy i will start with my youngest son who is 2 yrs old. Nicolas had his first seizure at 3.5 mths old and his were a full body seizure rapid eye blinking all extremidies were twitching. They wanted us to record the times it happened hte length and what happened during these spells. He was having over 30 a day. Apparently they are hard to record on an EEG as your child most likely has to have one happen during that time (Thats what i was told). Cameron is 3.5 and our new doctor here in London is the only one who has picked up on his "lack of being with us" We have been waiting to see a neurologist for almost a year now for him and our new Pead has managed to get us in much faster. Cameron has been delayed in almost everything and for the most part it is believed that he has has these absence seizures since he was a baby and we are now just getting the help we need for him. He used to wake screamming at night around 1 yrs old and i would have to hold him and rock him bounce him do what ever necessary to try and get him to calm down all the while also dealing with him not wanting to be touched, or held. Cameron's seizures are him just starting off, not blinking, as if he doesn't hear us when we talk to him. I have to make him look at me and often repeat myself to him as many as 5 to 6 times just untill he fully understands what i want. I haven't yet pin pointed what triggers them for him but have often wondered if he is light sensitive as his younger brother is. Alot of side effects they have gone thru is that there balance is off, both were delayed in walking and when they did walk it was as if they were drunk. Both have delayed speech Cameron can say about 13 words and Nicolas has 1. If you are sure there is something wrong keep a chart of when its happening what you are seeing while it happening and length of time and take that to your doctor and tell him/her that you want your dd assessed by a neurologist. Don't let them tell you nothing is wrong. As you know her best go with your gut instinct. YOu can always take her after she has had one to the hospital and the doctors there will assess her and might notice something that your other doctor hasn't.
    Good luck
    Annie

Expert Forum User

Wow, you are really dealing with it aren't you! Does epilepsy run in your family? I'm not sure I could deal with a full blown grand mal seizure... that would be scary!

Your son's absence seizures sound a lot like Haley's. When I call her name she doesn't hear and seems to not see me. I have even touched her/shook her and nothing! It is a very scary thing to experience as I'm sure you know.

We haven't been able to pinpoint the trigger either. (is there always one?) She has a lot of them in the car or when she is moving. (in the wagon or on a sled) Not sure if that is even a known trigger or not, but that seems to be the case with her.

I too notice Haley's balance sometimes. She falls A LOT and daycare has always commented on this. Hmm... wonder if that is connected? However, she wasn't delayed in walking though. How often does he have them?

Now that you mention it, Haley used to wake up screaming too, but I just assumed they were dreams or gas or something. I wonder if she has them in her sleep? Maybe that is why they like them to be sleeping for EEG's and why they are about an hour long???

I have made a chart and the neurologist didn't even seem to interested in it. He was asking more about "in general". We went to see Dr. Campbell at Children's... who are you seeing? I can't believe that it is taking that long to get in. I started the ball rolling last January and had an appointment made by February for August. So in total, 8 months. I would try to push it a bit. Your son seems to have a more serious form with his delays and such. He should be seen ASAP in my opinion. When we went, they did a lot of "tests" like stand on one foot, running down the hallway, touch your nose, etc. She thought it was fun. However, again they found nothing wrong. :?

People keep telling me to take her to the hospital after one, but I figure when she isn't injured in any way, that we would be there FOREVER waiting. And honestly, after about 10 mins, she is back to her normal self and I would feel guilty being there. I think I will just push it again with my family doc and see where that goes. He may just say I have to call the neurologist again.

Thanks again for sharing your story. I appreciate it. It just confirms that what I am seeing sounds more and more like seizures.
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

5_Devilish_Angels

We haven't been able to pinpoint the trigger either. (is there always one?) She has a lot of them in the car or when she is moving. (in the wagon or on a sled) Not sure if that is even a known trigger or not, but that seems to be the case with her.

I too notice Haley's balance sometimes. She falls A LOT and daycare has always commented on this. Hmm... wonder if that is connected? However, she wasn't delayed in walking though. How often does he have them?
    It's very possible that your DD is triggered by changes in light. That's how Nicolas is. Bright light, the change from a shaded room to outside can do it, the sun shinning off the snow or off cars that go by. As well if its possible that you have a night light in her room that may trigger it also. When she wakes in the night and wakes to the "light" she may have a seizure and if she is already scared when she wakes this will just enhance that fear. I have wondered if Cameron is light sensative as well. We can't prevent it nor "shield" them even tho thats what we want to do. Just monitor her and when she has these "spells" just sit with her talking gently let her know you are there and that she is ok. It's said that if you talk to a person during there seizure it helps calm them and can make it shorter for them as they are able to "come back" to us much faster. As for my sons having so many delays due to the seizure its most likely caused due to the amount they were having and the very young age it started. My 4 older children were brilliant when we first found out about Nicolas having Epilepsy they all helped watch him and were all there talking to him when he had one. We also have Dr. Campbell he is rating the top Neurologist in London but his Secretary leaves a little to be desired by my standards. Never the less Dr.Campbell will be seeing both of my boys in Feb. Nicolas doesn't have many now and his MRI came back with good results showing that the blood flow is fine in the brain i am told to watch him when he gets angry, slight fever, change in light as thses things could still trigger him to have a seizure that once you've had a seizure you are likely to get them again at some stage. Cameron has been diagnosed by our pead as have absence seizures but has yet to meet Dr. Campbell. I monitor him and he has a least 10 or more a day, he doesnt have the screamming fits as he used to but still gets them once in a while. Have you contacted Epilepsy Canada? they may have brochures that they can send you that will give you more information and you can use that to further monitor your daughter. Here is there web site
    http://www.epilepsy.ca/eng/mainSet.html Hope some of this helps.

Annie

5_Devilish_Angels

Sorry i missed the does epilepsy run in my family part...... My dh has an uncle who has childhood epilepsy and he out grew it. But we have seen a genitics doctor and have been told by him and by Dr. Campbell that both our sons epilepsy wont come from lat far back in the family as no one else on dh side has had it till our sons. As for myself we dont know our family back ground so its possible that it runs on my side also.

Annie

Expert Forum User

I noticed your thread, started reading and couldn't stop! You both sound like the most incredible mothers and you must be so worried about your little ones! I wish both of you and your families all of the best.

Expert Forum User

Hi Ladies...with these seizures do your childrens blink or squint or twitch there eyes a lot. Sounds similar to my Jacob! I have been everywhere and all the Dr's seem to think I am nuts ...but I KNOW something isnt right! Sounds like those absence seizures...any links to websites you may have?

The ER doctor (after me pressing about possibly neruological conditions) ordered an EEG for my son (2.5yrs) in 2 months time in march...then he will be to see Dr. Campbell. How long after the EEG will he go to the Dr?

Thanks for your help!
    Mom to DS - 9.5 years old
    AND

Expert Forum User

Annie ~ Thank you so much for your info. It really is helpful! We have no known epilepsy in our family, so if it is hereditary, I have no idea where it comes from. Haley doesn't have them nearly as frequently as your sons. She was having them about once every few days, then now only has them once every few weeks. That is why they didn't diagnose her with absence seizures because it doesn't fit the category totally. I never even thought of her night light... she actually has this neat little BLue's Clues "lava lamp" night light that moves around and shows on the walls. She is very attached to it, not sure if I can get rid of it. :? Thanks for the link to the website. I will definately check it out!

thebarmybee ~ aw... thanks. You know, I would have said the same thing before all of this, but once it happens to you, you just cope. It was very stressful at the beginning, but it gets easier as you accept it!

Michelle ~ Haley doesn't really blink so much. Sometimes her eyes "flutter" and kind of roll back, other times she just stares off as if looking right through you. I haven't got any websites off hand, but if you search absence seizures, you will find lots! You could check out the website Annie gave too. I remember that wait for the EEG. It takes forever! That is why I am wondering if I may still get Haley in for her sleep deprived one. I would try to make sure the appointment is at nap time or that you try to get him to sleep. You don't want to go through 2 if you don't have to. Haley was very cuddly and quiet, but never slept. I think we went to Dr. Campbell a few weeks after the EEG. My family doc ordered the EEG so that it would be done before going to him. That made the process go quicker. My advice to you would be to go with your gut and push for testing. (of course I should be following my own advice! ) Please keep us posted and feel free to ask me questions if you have them. It can be scary at first to deal with.

Just a little update... I have made an appointment for Haley to get checked out by our family doc for Feb 13th. I am going to talk to him about this again and get the ball moving again.
    Laura

~Lewis Hine~

5_Devilish_Angels

Thanks thebarmybee for the nice post. I am so used to my sons " behavours" now they just seem natural to me. Sorry its taken me so long to respond back but we have been having loads of appointments as we have finally started to see some workers from Thames Valley and the doctors also. It took me almost 8 months to get Camerons appoinment with Doctor Campbell but i only waited a few months with Nicolas. We have had more DNA testing done on both hte boys as they need to rule out may things before they will diagnois whats really wrong with them both that has effected there walking and there lack of speech and Dr. Campbell doesnt want to say its b/c of how many seizures they have had at a young age. ( nicolas started at 3.5 months and they figure Cameron started as a baby also tho not sure at what age).
    We will be having a speech therapist comming out to the house and a physiotherapist as well. Thames Valley is also gong to get us a behavioural worker as well to help me with the boys bursts of anger.

Annie