Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default If you cant get your period if you dont ovulate...

Riddle me this batman...

Okay, I still get moody once a month, like more emotional. I dont get a period. BUT for the past few months I have felt like "oh man this is going to be the month" it finally comes back..and it never does.
    So I dont understand why I get all the symptoms but no actual bleeding.
    Also, my neice who is like 11 now I think, she has been getting what my MIL calls dry periods.. like she gets moody once a month but doesnt get a period.
    Also my grandmother still gets this way once a month and she is in her 80;s

Can someone explain this to me!

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

Mrs. Crunchy, I am in the SAME BOAT as you!! I am 19 months postpartum and no period yet.

However, for close to a year now (I'll say 10 months-ish?) I've been getting cramps every few weeks---usually pretty close to every 4 weeks. I get a lot of my old PMS symptoms; more anxiety, more rage issues (LOL), headaches, etc.

Every month I tell DH that I think it's going to be the month that my period starts again, but nope, lol. I'm completely confused though because I had a few people tell me that I was probably ovulating, so that answered it for me. But then I found here, that if I don't get a period, it means I didn't ovulate. So I understand the explanation of it, but that doesn't explain the symptoms!

I'm confused too!
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

When I was bfing I started to feel like that about 3 or 4 months before I got AF back. It was super annoying and I hated not knowing if/when I was going to get it. So ya, I def think there can be hormonal things happening but I have no idea what and why I was having symptoms.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Couldn't you BE ovulating but just not getting a period? I'm sure myrrah or someone told me that can happen, when I was worrying I'd never get pregnant cos I went like, 2 year swhere I had maybe three periods.

But anyway I also think the body still cycles hormones out of habit or something. But then again I also believe men have hormone cycles too, with nothing at all to back that up with otherthan observations from brothers and dh.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Your body could be trying to ovulate but then not releasing the egg. If you release an egg you will get a period approx 2 weeks later (or a BFP lol). Your body can try to ovulate though and not. Egg will form, hormones increase then nothing happens.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    Your body could be trying to ovulate but then not releasing the egg. If you release an egg you will get a period approx 2 weeks later (or a BFP lol). Your body can try to ovulate though and not. Egg will form, hormones increase then nothing happens.
    Hmmm maybe eh... maybe because im breastfeeding it like stops the process or something midway??

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Possible. Your hormone levels have to get to a certain point to release the egg so maybe breastfeeding is stopping it right before?

Expert Forum User

maybe... but then wouldnt my uterus say “oo no baby this month time to clean up shop“ ?? Lol

Not if you dont actually release the egg.

Expert Forum User

Not if you dont actually release the egg.
    ahhhhhhhhhhh I seeeeeee... very wise grasshopper

You can get your period with no egg release (anovulatory cycle) but if you release an egg you definately get a period or BFP. So if you are not getting a period you are not releasing an egg.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Couldn't you BE ovulating but just not getting a period? I'm sure myrrah or someone told me that can happen, when I was worrying I'd never get pregnant cos I went like, 2 year swhere I had maybe three periods.

But anyway I also think the body still cycles hormones out of habit or something. But then again I also believe men have hormone cycles too, with nothing at all to back that up with otherthan observations from brothers and dh.
    You can ovulate at anytime with irregular periods but not ovulate and not get a period, so you would have been going long periods without ovulating and then ovulate again and get af.

This is likely the case, it is also often what happens with PCOS. My body will often attempt to ovulate several times in a cycle before it actually does.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

This has been my life since I started menstruating.

I got an u/s done in my teens and my ovaries were lumpy from all the unreleased eggs just hanging out in there. (I'm impressed I got pregnant so 'quickly' with M seeing as I ovulate a few times a year.)

It took a few months of awful PMS until my first ppaf came back.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
    You can ovulate at anytime with irregular periods but not ovulate and not get a period, so you would have been going long periods without ovulating and then ovulate again and get af.

This is likely the case, it is also often what happens with PCOS. My body will often attempt to ovulate several times in a cycle before it actually does.
    what is pcos???

My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast