Default Upcoming changes to car insurance coverage

Some really sweeping changes are going into effect on September 1st that will affect all of us with regard to our auto insurance, but most people don't seem to be aware. Anyway, I figured I'd pass this along so you guys can consider any changes you may want to make to your coverage:

Ontario’s insult to injury - The Globe and Mail

Another good site to help figure out coverages/changes:

MyChoiceCarInsurance.ca - Understanding My Car Insurance Choices in Ontario
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Wow, I had no idea!

I had heard about the 1% reduction in rates (that was part of a 10% increase - lucky us eh?) but not a word about this.

About 5 years ago I was in a car accident and needed 3 months off work. I had soft tissue damage to my back, hip and shoulder - all would be deemed minor, by this new criteria. It took about 9 months of physio, massage and chiropractic to get comfortable again. I still am not 100%, but I can manage quite well.

What strikes me is that the auto insurance company will only pay for your $3500 in treatments once you have maxed out any and all of your personal coverage - now that really sucks! I had to use up all of my supplemental health benefits of both my and my husbands plan for 2 years (because of when the accident happened) so that meant that even if I wanted a massage later that year to help loosen up, that I had no coverage and would have to pay 100% out of my pocket.

The other thing they don't mention is that auto insurance companies will only pay for treatments as part of a treatment plan and that plan costs about $150 just to prepare and is re-done regularly - so take off $300-$450 just for the paperwork fees you pay your physiotherapist or chiropractor to prepare the plans! You are really only looking at about 2 weeks of treatment or less!

I think I shall be contacting my Ontario MP. Auto insurance rates are through the roof and now the insurance companies get to make more profits? This kinda feels criminal - doesn't it?

Exactly! I've been working in this industry for the last few years as a therapist, and it's frustrating as anything to see how this is going to affect the people I work(ed) with. A ton of people are going to go untreated because of this.

What's really bad is that you are going to pay the same, if not MORE, for fewer benefits. Housekeeping is going to become an optional benefit you pay extra for, as well as quite a few others that are automatically included right now. If coverages/benefits are getting cut, then why aren't we seeing a decrease in premiums? Bah...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post
    Exactly! I've been working in this industry for the last few years as a therapist, and it's frustrating as anything to see how this is going to affect the people I work(ed) with. A ton of people are going to go untreated because of this.

What's really bad is that you are going to pay the same, if not MORE, for fewer benefits. Housekeeping is going to become an optional benefit you pay extra for, as well as quite a few others that are automatically included right now. If coverages/benefits are getting cut, then why aren't we seeing a decrease in premiums? Bah...
    Yeah, I'm UNIMPRESSED! we got out insurance renewal papers today and it seems like the coverage we have is getting cut in HALF! I don't like this at all.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Banned

I am completely okay with what is going on. I think caps are a good thing.

Thanks. Will have to read. Don't have Ontario insurance right now and probably won't on the new car till we move, but always good to have as much information as possible.... isn't sounding encouraging based on the other posts!!

Okay, very confused... chalking it up to not being in the province right now Um, why the changes? They're saying it is all government changes, why? How? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DMC2008 View Post
    I am completely okay with what is going on. I think caps are a good thing.
    But sounds like the caps are on benefits you can receive, not so much on what you're paying and no options to buy better coverage if I'm understanding correctly... that doesn't make much sense...

Expert Forum User

We got a pamphlet in the mail week before last telling us there were going to be changes come sept. 1st but said the policy we just renewed wouldn't be affected until it's term was up. How crazy is that. I'm all for lowering your rates, but this is just silly.

You're exactly right lhastie-no options to buy better coverage even if you want to. And the “caps“ are really only going to hurt the consumer...especially those with chronic pain, for example. The way they've redesigned it makes not a lot of common sense (i.e. you can get out of the minor injury cap if you have a pre-existing injury that can be proven...like what difference does that make?!)

Yup, changes are coming from the government level:

On March 31, 2009, the Superintendent of Insurance delivered the first “Five Year Review of Automobile Insurance”, which included 39 recommendations to revise the current automobile insurance legislation. After extensive review of these recommendations, submissions and meetings with various stakeholders, the Government introduced 7 new Regulations (Ont. Reg. 34/10 - Ont. Reg. 40/10) to reform the current automobile insurance system. These new Regulations will come into effect on September 1, 2010. Included in the package of reforms is Ont. Reg. 34/10, which is a completely revised Statutory Accident Benefits
    Schedule (the new “SABS”).

I think that had I not have experienced needing assistance to recover from an accident that was not my fault I would not have a strong opinion.

However, having been there, done that I realize how in an instant your life could change forever. I now have pain as part of my daily life. Not alot, I am fortunate, but enough that I can't always do what I want and I have had to change how I do my job.

If I had not had help or had a cap of $3500 (which would amount to about 2-3 weeks MAXIMUM) of treatment I would probably not even be able to work. I did not break any bones - my muscles absorbed all the impact and as a result are permanently injured. I can't tell you the number of times I heard that I would have been better off if I had only broken some bones - because they would heal better than muscles.

I think caps are understandable, however they need to be established based on real costs. This cap seems to have been picked out of a hat.

Expert Forum User

Our policy is due to renew on September 15th, so we'll see what happens.
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys