Expert Forum User

Default One Bottle a Day

I have decided to introduce one bottle of formula per day to my LO and I plan on continuing to breastfeed the rest of the time. The last feed before bed would be my preference to replace with the bottle b/c then I could go out and have someone else put her to bed, however I am concerned that going that long in between feeds (8 hours) would reduce my milk supply. I want the formula feed to be at the same time every day so that my breasts will continue to meet baby's needs for all the other feedings. My only question is what would be the best time of day to replace the feeding. Does this even make sense??? Help please!

When I give my daughter a bottle it is always the feed before bed. So far I haven't had supply issues but I don't do it regularly yet.

from what I remember the night-time feeds are the ones that effect your milk supply the most- something about a hormal thing (yeah I know I am so helpful)
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

When I was BF, I did the bottle feed usually by dinner time when my supply was the lowest. If I wanted to go out it was usually around dinner time anyways so it worked out great. I would come home after dinner sometimes and even go back out again. All depends on when you want to go out the most I suppose.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

I wouldn't replace my night feed bc my last feed is at 6 so I would go over 10 hrs between feeds. and since formula is heavier it would be just my luck he would sleep longer. So I replaced the lunch time feed and then on occasions I do want to go out he will take a bottle at night. It's worked well so far and since I don't go out more than once a week it hasn't affected my milk supply at all.
    Good luck

Expert Forum User

I would replace the before bed feed maybe 1hr before bedtime, and sometimes do a "boob top up" right before sleepytime to help DC and me...

But, I was not against using a bottle whenever it worked for us (if we were out and about or I wanted to (gasp!) go out w/out DC).

My milk supply did not become affected that I noticed, sometimes I would wake up with ginormous milk machines in the a.m.. As for a signicantly decreasing supply, this did start eventually when we were using 2-3 bottles towards weaning time.

Aaah, the freedom of an occasional bottle...I am a proponent (can you tell?).

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi,
    I think the occassional bottle is different than giving a bottle every day in terms of effecting your milk supply. I agree that the replacing the one before bed may have an impact on your supply so I would look at a time that is still convenient to you but wouldn't mean that you would go as long without nursing - perhaps dinner as suggested. Or you could give the bottle and then when you are home give her a night nursing prior to you going to bed. That way if you did go out and you didn't do the night nurse it probably wouldn't matter for that one time or occassional time.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Thanks for all the advice ladies! I have still not tried it yet... holding out as long as I can!

Expert Forum User

When I was introducing my DS to bottles, I started with pumped milk so that it would not affect either my supply or his stomach (with #2 and #3 formula would upset their stomachs).
    When I went out with DH I would usually pump and dump because otherwise my breasts would become engorged and painful before the next feed. I also couldn't control the leaking around feeding time... More than once we had an evening cut short because of leaking boobs. (Could be TMI )