Thread: Dr. Jack Newman

Expert Forum User

Default Dr. Jack Newman

I've heard him raved about - is this book a must have?

I'm thinking of ordering it.

chapters.indigo.ca: Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding: Revised Edition: Jack Newman/pitman: Books'

*inkymama*

Expert Forum User

For me, it's a must have. If you're not going to get the bad advice I did, you'd probably be able to get enough info from his website and the awesome LCs on here though.

He signed mine
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I'd say yes... well, I borrowed it from the library It was worth a read. I read more than the basics and I liked that for so many problems that get presented as a 'you can't breastfeed' or 'you need formula/bottle now' he had great advice and responses. Having read that made me feel much calmer about all the possibilities.

I read it. I read a LOT of breastfeeding books when I was pregnant this time around. I had a bit of a grudge going into his book -- this MAN knows oh so much? Pffft. Sure.
    Yeah.In all honesty? His book was the most informative, least presumptuous, and easiest to read. I would highly recomend borrowing it, or buying it.

I would NOT recomend the LLL book, which surprised me, as I expected theirs to rock since so many moms talk about the LLL meetings and s tuff. Yeah. Book offended me in the intro and was not that informative at all....hated it.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I definitely agree that this book is a must have.

I also agree with *allie* about the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I know a lot of people like it, but I hated that book. If that had have been the first book I read about bf, it might have been bad news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ljmama View Post
    I definitely agree that this book is a must have.

I also agree with *allie* about the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I know a lot of people like it, but I hated that book. If that had have been the first book I read about bf, it might have been bad news for me.
    I'm curios about what the issues were with the WOmanly ARt of breastfeeding, I just picked a copy up for under $1 secon dhand since it seemed a good price, but haven't read it at all as no need right now

The first thing I disliked was in the intro, how it said something to the gist of how “While we acknowledge not all families are comprised of man/wife/baby, this is hte best situation for a baby so we will use those terms through out the book.“
    I mean, it's one thing to say it is most common, or it's easiest, so we're going to refer to mom/dad. But to say it's best, or whatever word they used, upset me.

And then I forget what else I disliked besides finding it did not have as informative contents as the Newman one.
    I *think* this is the one that made me feel like “OMG, there is NO hope this will work for you without tons of pain, work, money for consultations and did we mention pain?“
    It seemed totally hopeless - like you're doomed to have trouble, no way in hell it will be a smooth process and enjoyable, etc. I disliked the overall tone.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I have it, I think it's a must have, especially if you have no on in your life that is an expert in the area. I also had my mom who helped me equally because she bf 11 kids, but without her I would have used the book tons more then I even did.

*allie* that sounds very discouraging!

Oh, I remember the other thing that I liked about the Jack Newman book, he goes in to the advertising by formula companies, it was very interesting! The comparison of the images shown is quite striking

Expert Forum User

I just wanted to mention that I've seen numerous copies of it at the Goodwill Bookstore in the past. I haven't been recently but I know before I was preggers I regularly saw 2-3 copies when I went looking for books for my LO.

Yeppers, total must have.
    We usually tell expectant parents to be that Jacks book is the best book for information, and that the womanly art is more for warm-fuzzies.
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by a_bun_in_the_oven View Post
    I just wanted to mention that I've seen numerous copies of it at the Goodwill Bookstore in the past. I haven't been recently but I know before I was preggers I regularly saw 2-3 copies when I went looking for books for my LO.
    Ooh, thanks. I live not far from the one on adelaide, i will check it out before i order from chapters

*inkymama*

Expert Forum User

Well, I ended up ordering it the other day online since Chapters has the interac option and I got a bunch % off...I ordered Sunday night...and it's in my mailbox right now. WOOHOO Can't wait to read it tonight.

*inkymama*

Hope you like it. Definitely useful information