Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Kids Learning Connection (KLC) homeschooling group info

**ADDED A peek at KLC's upcoming fall into winter session....post 15!**

We belong to a homeschooling group so I thought I would share why we joined and a bit about the group.

Last year my daughter started talking about meeting new friends..... and going to school. I understood that she had a desire for more social activities and the chance to develop relationships, so I started looking for opportunities to meet with people on a regular basis. I had known for a couple of years that we were going to homeschool, so I was not unfamiliar with some people within the community. I had planned a couple of trips/events, and had attended some that other people had organized; but both my children and I found it hard to make friendships seeing people spratically. I had met two women who I started to meet with every week or other week, which was wonderful, but wanted something more diverse aswell. So we joined KLC in Jan. It has turned out to be really nice for us, the kids like meeting up with their friends and enjoy the many activities that we've participated in.

What is KLC? Kids Learning Connection is a secular homeschool group in London Ontario, created by homeschooling parents for homeschooling families. It is run by the combined effort of all those involved.
    The group is what it's members make it!

Why was this group was created? Why do people join?
    -to develop a community of families who see one another on a regular basis allowing an opportunity to develop relationships
    -to provide enriching activities and learning opportunities for our children
    -a chance to share hobbies and interests with others
    -group insurance. (One problem that homeschoolers were facing is finding a place to meet, especially during the winter months. People were running into problems with insurance when wanting to rent venues; there are cases where insurance is required or you couldn't rent at all, or the insurance would fall under the person who's name the rental was in; not so fair for one family to take such a risk with a larger group. Group insurnace opened up venues to us that would otherwise not be an option.)

What do we do?
    The activities and events planned come from the parents and kids. Parents plan activities with their children's interests in mind, perhaps their own interests, and come up with ideas; find people/groups to hire or invite in, run activities themselves, join other parents to run activities with... it's really open for anything. We can do whatever our imaginations allow!

There are already talk of many activities and events to be planned for the fall/winter,
    and room for many more ideas.

Check out the website
    http://kidslearningconnections.yolasite.com/
    There is information on how to join, costs, past activities.

Please feel free to pm me with questions too.
    Last edited by momx2; 08-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

That looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing

Looks good. Are there older children in the group too? Like teenagers?

Expert Forum User

There are currently a few of older children, around 13. The group is open to all ages.

It is our hope to get many more people involved of all ages, to make planning activities and events more diverse....so we have lots to offer to all ages and the kids can choose between the activities being offered. The more people we have the more ideas there are, and more hands to make things happen.

The parents are responsible for filling up the time we share together....like run activities or classes, or look for people to bring in, etc.... so it is geared towards the ages and interests of those participating.

I find the people currently involved to be flexbile and easy to work with. They really want to fulfill the needs and interests of their kids and have fun together, so they work together to make this happen.
    Last edited by momx2; 07-21-2010 at 08:32 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki

Expert Forum User

I'd considered participating in KLC before, but when I looked into it, the website (at the time) included something along the lines of “If you're already really busy and overwhelmed in your life, and don't feel like you can take on extra duties, this may not be the group for you, lest you end up disappointing yourself and others“. (Total paraphrase, don't remember the real, actual text (although the “disappointing yourself and others“ bit was in there, IIRC), but it was along those sentiments/lines.) Which roughly translates as “Kathy, don't join.“ Ha. Bummer. It looked like it involves a lot of interesting opportunities, but if the group structure's not very accommodating to families where the parent(s) currently have their hands full (such as having lots of young children), then it's not really something that I can do for now.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Hi Kathy, I wasn't involved in KLC the first year it ran because it didn't sound like something I would be into, very structured and strict ( ....it ends up it's not like that at all).

Though I don't remember reading that particular phrase, it could have very well been the thought at the time, as the parents starting the “co-op“ probably didn't want to be left to do everything themselves. It's a lot of work to plan for a group!

I can say that since I joined the second year I have not heard anything like that. I can also say that I have heard from others that the second year ran very different from the first, and perhaps the second year ran a bit better. The parents are so much part of the running of things that I imagine it will change all the time; new people bringing forth new ideas and personalities..... hopefully just keep getting better!

I find the group to be very relaxed and accommodating.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Banned

I think it depends on your children. I found it quite a stressful experience, but I was trying to keep my eye on four kids at once AND carry out my “duties“. Three of my kids were fairly reliable and could be left in their “group“. One had to be watched at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    I think it depends on your children. I found it quite a stressful experience, but I was trying to keep my eye on four kids at once AND carry out my “duties“. Three of my kids were fairly reliable and could be left in their “group“. One had to be watched at all times.
    I think it can absolutely be stressful if you are running one of the sessions. What I would suggest for people who have multiple children, especially young ones that need attention is that rather then running a session they organize to bring in a guest. Like you did MOF with the Clay Hands.

The co-op asks that your participate but it doesn't specify that you need to do it in a certain way. So in your situation Kathy, I wouldn't offer to lead a topic because that is obviously going to be chaotic for you. But you could bring in a speaker or guest that would appeal to your older children or participate in another way.

We also don't participate in everything that co-op does. We choose some sessions that fit for our family and we forgo on other ones that don't. Part of what I like is the flexibility to be able to decide this.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

I agree MO4, when I first joined I did find it a bit stressful because I felt a had to run something. I did a gym class, which was with a younger age group so it was okay but I didn't feel I did a great job. Then I tried to run a lapbook class, and I didn't feel like it went very well at all. I found that I'm not cut out to run or “teach classes“, but feel I'm good at organizing.

The second session went better, I organized a venue (the renting of a place) where parents brought forth ideas, we had many things going on. I brought in a guest and ran a “blanket book club“ for the younger ages. It all went very well for me that time and now I feel I have some what of an idea what I'm capable of. It's a learning experience for me, as well as my kids!
    Last edited by momx2; 07-22-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Sounds like fun. We might be interested in joining. Is this different from the HLC then? Are there many kids involved in the 7-9 age group?

Quote Originally Posted by whirlygirl View Post
    Sounds like fun. We might be interested in joining. Is this different from the HLC then? Are there many kids involved in the 7-9 age group?
    It is different. KLC has been around for a couple of years and it is a group effort so if you have an idea of something you would like to do with/for your kids you are welcome to organize it. KLC is a co-op.

There are plenty of kids in the 7-9 age group. My DD is 7 and she participates and there are at least 5 other kids I can think of off the top of my head in this age range - likely more.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Expert Forum User

Also, I believe the HLC is for teenagers or older children only, KLC is for people of all ages.

I think HLC is for 8 to 15 year olds. The difference seems to be that, at the moment, HLC is being run by one person who has all the ideas, and has done all the brainstorming, planning and booking, and is simply looking for people to join her. She wants older kids mainly so it doesn't have to be as parent-intensive as it can be when there are younger ones involved.

That's what I know so far...it hasn't really gotten underway yet.

We're planning to be a part of both KLC and HLC, and then pick and choose sessions and events that work for our family.

I've led a few things at KLC too, during the first year, namely some gym classes and a nature study. We didn't participate as much last year, as my kids preferred to spend as much time as possible with one other homeschooling family that shared a lot of their interests at the same level. They may be more interested in co-op events now that that family has moved away.

The dynamics of homeschool groups tend to change depending on the people involved and the ages of the kids. There are some people who are consistently involved, and I think it's nice to develop a little community of families that the kids get comfortable with.

It's definitely worth joining -- thanks momx2 for all your efforts in organising it this year!

Expert Forum User

These are some of the ideas currently being worked on.....our schedule is by no means full, every members ideas and contributions are needed for the upcoming session (Sept to Dec)

Soccer (two age groups)- pretty much just scrimmage the whole time, a parents
    ref and is there for coaching advice.

Craft Book Club (under 7)- read a book and do a realted craft

Book Club (7 plus)

Capture the Flag

History Club (7/8 and odler)-learn about various civilizations, evetns, peoples;
    will partly bebased on who is interested and their interests.

Mapping Exercise

Musicians-hoping to have a variety of musicians in to talk about and perform
    their instruments.

Yoga

Nature Hikes- we usually go on a couple, one place we rent has a wonderful green
    area.

Swimming Lessons- with the Excel Swimming Club

Sign Language Classes

“Shake, Rattle and Read“ at the Central Library (5/6 and uner) two musically
    gifted librians put together a 1/2 hour song and reading program. Will include
    orientation for KLC.

Gymnasium-we usually rent a space in the winter that includes a gym, time slots
    are seperated into age groups.

Winter Party-we're thinking about renting a skating rink

Food Bank Volunteering
    Last edited by momx2; 08-23-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast