Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Petroleum Based Food Additives

Artificial Food Additives Linked to Attention Deficit Disorder

Prior to the 1950's, the coloring of the nation's food supply was a simple process. If manufacturers wanted to add color to a food or candy it was done primarily with natural plant and vegetable based compounds. For example, pale red colors could be achieved from beets - green could be achieved from chlorophyll - yellows and orange could be achieved from extracts from a number of other plants and spices. However, after WWII, the chemical industry grew rapidly. In their attempts to increase sales - they saw the food industry as an excellent potential client.

Unfortunately, at that time there was no consideration given regarding what is now known as "behavioral toxicology," which includes the potential of a chemical compound to affect behavior, personality and learning ability. Even today, the FDA and EPA do not require detailed testing of chemicals for subtle effects on these neurological processes.

The original work by Dr. Feingold in 1970 often claimed 20-50% of children showed significant improvements in behavior following removal of artificial colors, flavors etc. from the child’s diet. Subsequent experiments by other researchers to determine the effectiveness of these claims were rarely as optimistic.. Previous experiments with food dye and behavior in school age children have focused primarily on one type of color at a time. Many of the follow up studies have not shown any definite link with diet and behavior, however a recent study (outlined below) observed major improvements in child behavior when a variety of synthetic and "problem" foods were eliminated from the child’s diet simultaneously

Regarding the observations of hyperactivity after exposure to food dyes, there was enough evidence for the researchers to conclude,
    "Our results provide additional support for the belief that administration of food colorings may exert significant effects in the developing organism. Thus, it is apparent that food dyes affect activity levels during the first month of postnatal life."

http://www.feingold.org/graphpg.pdf
    Coca Cola and DOW were part/are part of "The Nutrition Foundation"!!!!

Oh man. Why am I googling this stuff today.

Excerpt from Behavior, Learning and Health
    The Dietary Connection

BHA Butylated Hydroxyanisole
    BHT Burylated Hydroxytoluene
    TBHQ Tertiary Butylhydroquinone

Preservatives are used primarily to prevent fats from becoming rancid, allowing foods to have a longer "shelf-life". Most are not believed to be a health hazard, but the above three petroleum based preservatives have been found to trigger behavior and health problems."

Did you know that they spray the cereal bags inside the boxes with TBHQ and or BHT to help preserve the freshness of the cereal? If it is just a little bit, then they may not have to include the ingredient on their list of ingredients. The bread industry does the same thing.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

OMG! Totally dusting off my bread maker from it's summer hiatus. And cereal, WTF? I assume it goes to bulk stores in the same bags or something, does it? So there's no stopping that unless you make your own (I am not so ambitious).

*sigh* The news about cereal makes me sad. I love cereal.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Tbhq Side Effects | eHow.com

TBHQ is the acronym used to describe tertiary butylhydroquinone, which is an antioxidant that comes from petroleum and is related to butane. It is often used as a preservative, applied either to the carton of fast food items or sprayed directly onto them, as well as in various other prepackaged food items.

1. Usage

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited=“1“>TBHQ reduces oxidative deterioration in foods it is applied to, delaying the onset of rancidness. It is particularly effective in reducing the deterioration of fats and oils and aids in reducing nutritional loss over time and extending storage life. Toxicity

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited=“1“>As a food additive, the FDA allows TBHQ to make up no more than 0.02 percent of the total oils in a food. Consuming up to a gram of TBHQ can cause variable toxicity, and up to 5 grams can be fatal. For perspective, it would take 312.5 McDonald's chicken nuggets (if they contain a full 0.02% of TBHQ) to consume a single gram. Side Effects

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited=“1“>Consuming high doses of TBHQ (between 1 and 4 grams, approximately) can lead to a variety of negative symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), delirium and collapse. But the sheer amount of food consumption necessary to be afflicted by TBHQ toxicity generally makes these symptoms extremely rare. Carcinogenesis

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited=“1“>In toxicity studies, long-term, high-dose TBHQ administration in lab animals showed a tendency for them to develop cancerous precursors in the stomach, as well as causing DNA damage. But unlike other antioxidant additives, it did not cause lung lesions in laboratory animals. TBHQ in Children
    2. There has been some anecdotal evidence that TBHQ can cause anxiety, restlessness, and aggravation of ADHD symptoms, although there have been no clinical studies that show any link between food additives and behavioral disorders in children.

I have to say, If you're eating that many nuggets, TBHQ shouldn't be your primary concern. But how sneaky is that! Spray the bags and you don't have to list it as an ingredient!

Factantioxidants

Antioxidants are the most hidden of all additives. There are four ways consumers can be tripped up.
    * manufacturer fails to list ingredient on the product label
    * ingredient is unlisted under the 5% labelling loophole
    * consumer hotline gives wrong information when contacted
    * staff give incorrect information regarding unlabelled food, eg takeaways

Harmful antioxidants
    310 Propyl gallate
    311 Octyl gallate
    312 Dodecyl gallate
    319 tert-Butylhydroquinone, tBHQ
    320 Butylated hydroxyanisole, BHA
    321 Butylated hydroxytoluene, BHT
    Safe alternatives:
    300 Ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
    301 Sodium ascorbate
    302 Calcium ascorbate
    303 Potassium ascorbate
    304 Ascorbyl palmitate
    306 Mixed tocopherols (vitamin E)
    307 dl-a-Tocopherol
    308 g-Tocopherol
    309 d-Tocopherol
    - opaque containers

Where to find harmful antioxidants
    Look for these additives in cooking oils, margarines, lards and any other fats or oils. Then look for the products which contain these and you will start to understand the problem. Nearly every processed food contains some kind of fat or oil. It doesn't matter whether the ingredient label says vegetable oil, a specific oil like canola or sunflower, fats of vegetable origin, or beef tallow - unless they list some of the safe alternatives, they will probably contain one of these harmful additives. Small amounts don't affect people unless they are very sensitive, but if you eat them every day, effects will build up.

Anyone know if milk has preservatives? That's why I'm googling stuff today. We took cow milk out of or diet, but not other dairy products and DD1's behaviour in the evenings has dramatically improved. I can't find anything...

Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

DM, If I can get these weeds under control, we can plant some organic oats, wheat, and corn in my backyard then get going on our own chem-free cereal and bread

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    DM, If I can get these weeds under control, we can plant some organic oats, wheat, and corn in my backyard then get going on our own chem-free cereal and bread
    lol - you'll be happy to know that from what I found you won't need to raise your own milking cow.

Mooooo!

Ha ha!! Well my yard is the size of a small football field so we just need to import some 'clean dirt' and start planting. Between the 2 of us we could give Kelloggs and Dempsters a run for their money
    Last edited by doulamom; 07-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Where are you guys seeing this about bread and cereal?

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Where are you guys seeing this about bread and cereal?
    Did you know that they spray the cereal bags inside the boxes with TBHQ and or BHT to help preserve the freshness of the cereal? If it is just a little bit, then they may not have to include the ingredient on their list of ingredients. The bread industry does the same thing.
    I was aware of the BHT issue in cereal bags before because another LM had pointed it out. It made me sad & then I stuck my head back in the sand & kept eating my raisin bran.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

gross
    i like to make my own granola but i'm thinking the bags i buy the oats in could just as easily have been sprayed.

Its ridiculous. The packaging is crap too?

OMG! Totally dusting off my bread maker from it's summer hiatus. And cereal, WTF? I assume it goes to bulk stores in the same bags or something, does it? So there's no stopping that unless you make your own (I am not so ambitious).
    Yeah, thinking mine needs to be dusted off too!!

Granola? But then there are the oats issues still...

I don't know about your breadmakers but mine is nonstick. LOL!

MINE IS TOO!!! The first time I used it, I left it for DH to get the bread out and he used a KNIFE and scraped up the inside. I threw out the pan and ordered a new one. He thought I was crazy. It's bad enough I'm using it, nevermind opening it up for all that! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Can we go live on the Little House on the Prairie set?

MINE IS TOO!!! The first time I used it, I left it for DH to get the bread out and he used a KNIFE and scraped up the inside. I threw out the pan and ordered a new one. He thought I was crazy. It's bad enough I'm using it, nevermind opening it up for all that! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Can we go live on the Little House on the Prairie set?
    LOL! We've had to replace ours too because it got scratched.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast