Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    8,217
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Supplementing & Supply

    The thread about going away got me really thinking about the fall and supplementing and supply.
    I am going to school fulltime at Fanshawe in September (7.5 weeks! Yikes!).

    Before he was born I had only planned to breastfeed until I started school. He will be 4 months old exactly when I start. Now I really want to make it to a year. I have been pumping every morning and freezing it.

    Will supplementing mess up my supply so much that it could cause early weaning?

    I have no idea what my schedule will be. If I have just one class a day, I would be gone for just over 4 hours and wouldn't pump while I am gone. If I have more than one class in a day, then I plan on pumping at school.

  2. #2
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    aidensmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    here, in my home
    Posts
    10,688
    Rep Power
    549

    Default

    I'm not sure how it will affect your supply. I think as long as you continue to pump at least once in a 4-6 hour period you should be ok. I know when I came back to work early this last time, dd#2 was 7 months old and I pumped once a day and got 6-8 oz and had no issues with reduced supply.

    How often does he usually feed now?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

  3. #3
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    myrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,807
    Rep Power
    1105

    Default

    There is really no way to know until you do it. If you nurse him on demand when you are with him, that will help a lot. I know many women say with pumping over time they get less and less milk, supply decreases gradually. But it's different for everyone.

  4. #4
    Expert Forum User
    dressage mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,935
    Rep Power
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    There is really no way to know until you do it. If you nurse him on demand when you are with him, that will help a lot. I know many women say with pumping over time they get less and less milk, supply decreases gradually. But it's different for everyone.
    Agreed. The only thing I can suggest is to nurse nurse nurse as much as you can when you're with him. This might mean some night nursings, as well. Just let him decide, try to go with it.

    Then in between -- pump.

    I don't think pumping alone is all that great -- it's hard work! BUT if you nurse on demand when you're with him, that will make it easier to keep going.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

  5. #5
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    lhastie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Back in Ontario!!
    Posts
    12,511
    Rep Power
    564

    Default

    As others have said, it varies by person. I didn't have any trouble. I started going back on to campus around 4 months old and had a couple longer days occasionally around 5 months. Like you, if it was long enough, I'd pump for comfort, if not I would usually pump one side while nursing, or right after nursing, when I got home. I always nursed on demand when I was around. She nursed till she was almond two. So it doesn't have to muck things up

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    55

    Default

    I went back to work full-time when DD1 was 6.5 MO, and I'll go back when DD2 is about the same age. I fed her before work, immediately after work, all through the evening and once or twice through the night, plus I pumped once or twice through the day. I'm considering pumping at home in the morning too to ensure a really good supply. DD1 was totally fine - she nursed until she was 15 MO, and I'm hoping to take DD2 to the age of 2. You'll be fine as long as you're OK with night wakings!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    White Daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,939
    Rep Power
    150

    Default

    I wouldn't be able to pull it off with my last baby. I've had so many issued that I doubt I could pump long term with success. However I exclusively pumped for my first two babies with no trouble at all. I have no idea why that is. But that doesn't mean you can't pump and nurse and I think you should give it your best try. I think it's great that you want to succeed and are willing to give it your all and wish you the best of luck!

  8. #8
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    lhastie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Back in Ontario!!
    Posts
    12,511
    Rep Power
    564

    Default

    Kaisa, I would start building up some milk in the freezer if you're able to. I could mostly pump enough one day for the next, but the schedule varied if I was home all day or out a bit and sometimes it was harder. If I knew I HAD to pump that day for the next, it was harder to get milk Having some in the freezer is good as if he suddenly eats more than expected, there is a back-up there, plus you can rotate the stuff in the freezer with what you are pumping.

    I found it harder and harder to pump as she got older. I went to mostly pumping when she nursed as she was closer to a year as I didn't get much if I pumped at work. We introduced cow's milk at 13 months as by that point trying to pump wasn't especially successful

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    8,217
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post
    How often does he usually feed now?
    Right now he nurses 1.5-2 hours while he is awake. I'm hoping by September that stretches out a bit!

    Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    There is really no way to know until you do it. If you nurse him on demand when you are with him, that will help a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by dressage mom View Post
    Agreed. The only thing I can suggest is to nurse nurse nurse as much as you can when you're with him. This might mean some night nursings, as well. Just let him decide, try to go with it.

    Then in between -- pump.

    I don't think pumping alone is all that great -- it's hard work! BUT if you nurse on demand when you're with him, that will make it easier to keep going.
    I am planning on nursing on demand while I am with him. It looks like I will have 4 classes in class. I don't think I will be gone every day. It's frustrating they don't give us our schedule until the week before, so I have no way to prepare myself for how long I will be gone for.

    Quote Originally Posted by lhastie View Post
    Kaisa, I would start building up some milk in the freezer if you're able to. I could mostly pump enough one day for the next, but the schedule varied if I was home all day or out a bit and sometimes it was harder. If I knew I HAD to pump that day for the next, it was harder to get milk Having some in the freezer is good as if he suddenly eats more than expected, there is a back-up there, plus you can rotate the stuff in the freezer with what you are pumping.
    I am pumping every morning right now from one side after he nurses from the other in the morning. I'm getting 4-6 oz every morning. I'm planning on continuing pumping every morning while I am in school, and while I am gone for longer days.
    It's hard to pump during the day right now because he nurses every 1.5-2 hours, it would just be exhausting to spend my last 7 weeks home with him nursing then pumping all day, so I am hoping that what I pump during the mornings will help. I have over 100 oz frozen already.

  10. #10
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    lhastie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Back in Ontario!!
    Posts
    12,511
    Rep Power
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaisa View Post
    I am pumping every morning right now from one side after he nurses from the other in the morning. I'm getting 4-6 oz every morning. I'm planning on continuing pumping every morning while I am in school, and while I am gone for longer days.
    It's hard to pump during the day right now because he nurses every 1.5-2 hours, it would just be exhausting to spend my last 7 weeks home with him nursing then pumping all day, so I am hoping that what I pump during the mornings will help. I have over 100 oz frozen already.
    You definitely don't need a tonne ESpecially with short days like that, I know some people really get to mostly day-to-day and closer to the end I was too as we'd use the frozen supply up since I wasn't pumping as much. The psychology of NEEDING to pump a certain amount on a given day plays games with you Sounds like you have a good amount in the freezer. I personally wouldn't do any more pumping than the once a day you're doing.

    All the best. If it is four classes and varied schedule, I'm sure you'll be fine. You know where to start looking if you hit challenges, which is a big thing

  11. #11
    Ana
    Ana is offline
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,158
    Rep Power
    311

    Default

    Already lots of great advice here. I just want to say yay for you because you want to keep going.

  12. #12
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    8,217
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    Already lots of great advice here. I just want to say yay for you because you want to keep going.
    It's funny how things change! Before he was born I had only planned to aim for 2 months, likely be done by 4 months, and definatly be done at 6 months.

    Now I am going to do everything possible to make it to 6 months and I am 100% determined to make it to a year.

    Again, wouldn't of made it even this far without the support I get here!

  13. #13
    Ana
    Ana is offline
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,158
    Rep Power
    311

    Default

    You're not even up to the funnest age yet. There are positive and negative aspects of nursing at every age and REALLY something special about a newborn because despite all the worry and trouble, it does feel like falling in love, but the funnest age to breastfeed, imo, is 6 mths to a year. The are so sweet, smiling up at you with milk smiles and using their newly discovered hand co-ordination to pat your breast and cuddling into you without holding anything back. You are their all, and as overwhelming as it is, its also so very endearing too. Ah! this I envy you. Mine are all running off traveling the world or bonding with their friends. All I have is the memory of that time and the subtle reminder now and again in their look or gesture that they were once that baby. Its a good thing thats enough!
    Last edited by Ana; 07-18-2010 at 12:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Expert Forum User
    MilkyMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,189
    Rep Power
    289

    Default

    Nothing to add but a little link that I like to read to help me keep going when I get a little down or discouraged

    Beverley Rae || Breastfeeding Resources
    *sigh*



    Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

    Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!


    ~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

    ~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    8,217
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    You're not even up to the funnest age yet. There are positive and negative aspects of nursing at every age and REALLY something special about a newborn because despite all the worry and trouble, it does feel like falling in love, but the funnest age to breastfeed, imo, is 6 mths to a year. The are so sweet, smiling up at you with milk smiles and using their newly discovered hand co-ordination to pat your breast and cuddling into you without holding anything back. You are their all, and as overwhelming as it is, its also so very endearing too. Ah! this I envy you. Mine are all running off traveling the world or bonding with their friends. All I have is the memory of that time and the subtle reminder now and again in their look or gesture that they were once that baby. Its a good thing thats enough!
    Ahhhhh... this just made me all teary!
    I'm already getting the big smiles sometimes from him while he is nursing. I love it.
    I had no idea how much I would enjoy breastfeeding, it's amazing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. i think i am losing my supply!
    By angela in forum Breastfeeding questions and support
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
  2. supply question
    By White Daisy in forum Breastfeeding questions and support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 09:09 AM
  3. Supplementing BM with formula - offering baby first bottle...
    By rootedngrounded in forum Breastfeeding questions and support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-13-2009, 01:10 PM
  4. Supplementing with bottle-need reassurance!
    By Indigo74 in forum Breastfeeding questions and support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 07:34 AM
  5. Help with BM supply
    By Tannaleigh in forum Natural Family Living
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 01:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •