Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ARG...is this really worth it?

So I've been attempting to switch from pumping back to breast only...my poor wee one is so confused. She only likes breast milk, and she only liked it in the bottle. Now she only wants the boob but I dont think she is latching on/getting enough cuz she's constantly crying for the boob. My huge breasts make it awkward for me not matter how I hold her, and I swear I need another hand/arm or two. My wrists are so sore, and my nipples are killing me, however they have yet to appear damaged...they just feel like death. Is this really worth it? lol...Yes I would love to get rid of the pump and the bottles and say hello to freedom again, however, I feel bad for my LO as she is so confused and my poor nipples are hating me right now.

Expert Forum User

I have a feeling that there's a LL and/or a good LC out your way - maybe Kaisa would know? That would be my suggestion, get the latch better with some help, most sore nipples are caused by latch issues, and they should be able to help you with that and offer support.

You're doing great to try and get her back on the breast though
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Expert Forum User

Its worth it!! And she'll get used to it. The baby sucking is very different than the pump, so it'll just take your nipples a while to adjust. Its a good sign that your nipples aren't damaged, means she is probably latching well! Have you tried lanolin? When my nipples were sore, I would put it on after every time she nursed, and it seems to soothe and help.

Also, have you seen someone to see if they can help with your latch, make sure your babe is latching well? Also they could give you tips on positions/tricks for nursing with bigger breasts. I see you live in St. Mary's - are there well baby clinics around there? Can you call the health unit and get a nurse/lactation consultant to come by and help you out??

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Oooh check it out!!
    http://www.pdhu.on.ca/pdf/brinfo.pdf

Lots of ideas of where to get help!!

I went and saw someone...in Stratford, but it was $55 which my step mom paid for....guess I thought maybe 1 visit would do it. I was supposed to go back today but had to cancel my appointment cuz I dont have that kind of money right now and I wasnt about to ask my step-mom to pay again. I had a Health Nurse come over to the house the other day, but wasnt much of a help when it came to technique...there is a breast feeding clinic here in town ,but the few times I have gone no one has been there. I've tried lanolin, LO wont put her mouth on it with lanolin on it...

Banned

I heard that the LC at the St.Mary's hospital is really good. I am pretty sure it's Tues/Thurs from 10:30-noon that the breastfeeding clinic is at the hospital. It's free too.
    My Chiropractor is the one that really helped me. She used to be a doula and does prenatal classes, so more than just the chiropractic stuff. If you need her info, just PM me.

Do you use a nursing pillow? I have big breasts too (G cup) and I usually nurse hands free with my pillow. I think it's actually easier than if I had a smaller chest.. lol

Banned

Oops. I assumed St. Mary's had the same times as Stratford.
    Tuesday 6-10 and Thurs 9-1

I went to a chiropractor...she also does prenatal classes, infant massage, lactation consultants...she was helpful, but its not a one time quick fix which I had hoped...

I dont have a breast feeding pillow, been just trying to use regular old pillows and stuff them around me. I have H cups, and I dont know how you do it hands free...my boobs are warped...lmao...nipples sorta point down and out so i have to hold them up and in so she can get her mouth on it...and if i let go it totally smother's her face...nicknamed them SUMO BOOBS Yes I have heard good things about the LC in St.Marys...just havent had a chance to meet her...the two times I went she wasnt there...and now the other 3 kids are back its not as easy as just all getting in the car and going over to the hospital...

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Yes, it will be worth it, trust me! You can totally throw away the pump and bottles very soon. You are doing awesome, though I know it doesnt feel like it right now.

From what I gather right now you are overwhelmed with the work involved with just feeding alone. Your nipples are sore. How old is the baby? How long has she been nursing from the breast?

Dont worry, lots of mums feel totally overwhelmed at the start. You can do this. I bet tomorrow will be easier.
    Last edited by Ana; 07-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.

Emma is 3 weeks and pretty much used the bottle the entire time...She latched on great at the beginning...its all my fault. She chewed me raw before her first night so i thought that maybe if I pumped until my milk came in it would be easier for her...WRONG! Instead she liked the bottle and hated the boob. She wont drink formula, throw it up right away or wont drink it at all. I can get her one once or twice a day, she prefers the left side and usually falls right asleep

Ana
    Expert Forum User

So how often did she nurse from your breast today? Once or twice? And the rest was pumped milk from a bottle?

Expert Forum User

Oh, keep going, it is worth it!

I know you say you don't have money for an LC right now; what about LLL? If you can find a local LLL group, you can plenty of help there. The LLL leaders are excellent resources, and go through extensive training as well.

You can do this. And yes it is worth it.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

I'm up for anything that is free and worth it. I fed her twice so far today on the breast, both times she only latched on the left side...after I pump and bottle it. She's been eating less, but the Health Nurse said as long as she's peeing and pooping she's ok.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

So she had bottles in addition to nursing today? Okay, well just that she latches is huge. Does she refuse the rest of the day? Have you had some tips on getting reluctant nursers to latch, like hot baths, trying when they are sleepy, changing your hold etc?

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Here at the two league meetings in London. You can just call the leader and get free phone help. She'll work with you and help you out.

La Leche League Canada: London Daytime Group

La Leche League Canada: London Evening Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast