Thread: Homeschoolers.

Default Homeschoolers.

How early did you start? Did/ do you use a curriculum. For the younger one? Any good websites you can recommend I check out?

Sorry if I sound ignorant aboutthe topic, um, I am

Bump.

Any info would be great thanks

Expert Forum User

I'd be interested in this too.

Where do you start? What resources are out there? Do you have to fill in paperwork at the school board?
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Homeschooling is really an extension of what most parents do with their children before they decide to send them to school. Exposing them to resources, playing with them and perhaps involving some structure if that fits with their own philosophy.

What kind of info are you looking for Jessica and dashenka? Resources for learning or resources on homeschooling (making a decision, philosophies etc.)?
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Yes and I want to know if There is a curriculum, if here is a decent website so I can read and become more informed about it and so on.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Well the curriculum one is hard because there are a zillion out there and what you choose depends on what philosophy of homeschooler you are and how your children learn. Many of us are unschoolers, meaning we don't use a curriculum but there are at least a few homeschoolers here on LMs that use curric. so perhaps they can point you in that direction.

As far as general resources about homeschooling this is Ontario based so a good place to start:
    The Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

We're starting this year, my girls are 7.5 and 9. I don't think we'll use a curriculum... perhaps for math (there's one called Singapore Math I've heard good things about) but other than that we'll just play it by ear and learn what they're interested in. Basically what we do on a daily basis anyways.

I spoke to our school's Principal in June and he was refreshingly supportive of our decision and offered to have our girls participate in any of the events/social things at school if we're interested (my girls are excited about that because they want to stay connected to their school friends).

I sent our letter of intent to the board and a copy to our school at the end of June. I think you have until the end of September to let them know but we did it early to make classroom planning a little easier since we're leaving a fairly small school. There are sample letters on the site Doulamom posted that walk you through the process.

If your children have never been a part of the school system I don't think you have to send the letter (not completely sure about that because it doesn't apply to us).

We're also considering registering our girls for the Sitting Tree Homeschooler's program one day a week but part of the reason we're homeschooling is to be able to travel on short notice and not be tied to a schedule so I'm not sure if that will be a good fit for us.

We're also considering joining a Homeschooling co-op but again I'm still not sure if it will be a good fit (although not as much of a commitment and no where near as expensive as Sitting Tree).

I still have a lot of research to do but we've been away and busy with dh on holidays. I'd be happy to pass on any links/websites etc. I find as we start our homeschooling journey.

Expert Forum User

I've been homeschooling since birth!

I think that you can build on what you are already doing. Think of what your goals are and work towards those...

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by whirlygirl View Post
    If your children have never been a part of the school system I don't think you have to send the letter (not completely sure about that because it doesn't apply to us).
    This is correct. You have no obligation to inform the school board of your decision if your children have never been in school.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Quote Originally Posted by whirlygirl View Post
    I sent our letter of intent to the board and a copy to our school at the end of June. I think you have until the end of September to let them know but we did it early to make classroom planning a little easier since we're leaving a fairly small school. There are sample letters on the site Doulamom posted that walk you through the process.
    Where on this site can i find theses sample letter? or type of info did you include in yours? I told my DD school vebally that she would not be returning and that we would be homeschooling, still need to send a letter?
    TIA

Expert Forum User

I did a lot of reading about homeschooling initially, I think this helped me be more confident in my position, especially when I run into critics about homeschooling. There are many books at the library, check out their titles and just start reading. There are many online options too......
    Useful HS websites

We also are “unschooly“ so don't use curriculum. We have some work books that I've picked up here and there, but haven't put too much effort in them. My children are 5.5 and 4.

We are part of a homeschooling co-op. My daughter was expressing a desire for more socialization last year, she “wanted some friends“. I was finding it hard to meet the same people on a regular basis so she could have that time develop relationships. We did go on homeschooling outings, but it was to sporatic for us to make connections with people. I had met one family and arranged play dates almost weekly which was nice, but wanted to meet even more. The homeschooling group has tunred out to be fun and diverse, I think it takes my daughter awhile to be comfortable with new people (actually probably me too) so the regular meeting of the group is good. Also there is lots of learning opportunities about things that they may not get with just me. I was hesitant about joining a group to begin with, but I'm glad we did it.
    Last edited by momx2; 07-16-2010 at 07:49 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

I homeschool with curriculum.

We have used Sonlight... for JK and SK and will probably use some of theirs for Grade 1 once my friends passes it forward I also picked up her readers and language arts stuff... as well as Math.... history and such we do a lot of local stuff and lapbooks for things of interest to him.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie