Default benefits repayment question!

Hi ladies (and men!). Question for you guys. Will benefits companies take the address information of a spouse living with children covered on the package and issue them benefits repayment checks instead of issuing them to the main holder of the package? SO's ex has a prescription being filled for one of the kids that they are required to pay for upfront and then the company will reimburse a portion. She's adamant that we can have her put on the package with her information and they will send her checks directly. We've both never heard of this before. Usually checks will only go to the main cardholder and then SO would pass the money to her. I know in my past when my parents were split the checks only went to my dad and then he'd have to give my mom the money if she had paid upfront for one of us covered under his benefits package.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

pretty sure that's how it would work (go directly to your family, and you would then reimburse her).

Expert Forum User

As far as I know it would go to the person whoce benefit plan it is and then they would reimburse the other party.
    Shannon

Nothing is Impossible, if you just Believe

Expert Forum User

Yep only goes to the Cardholder's name/address. Believe me I have tired to change it, as my ex cashed the cheques and kept them for himself!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymomof3 View Post
    Yep only goes to the Cardholder's name/address. Believe me I have tired to change it, as my ex cashed the cheques and kept them for himself!!
    OMG some people

Expert Forum User

It would all go the policyholder. In teh same way that if she had her own policy, and your SO paid for something, the money would go to her, then she would need to reimburse you.

I think that in separations it can be a stipulation that they are still covered by the plan, but I don't think they would ever pay anyone else the cash, to avoid potential fraud and misunderstandings.
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Expert Forum User

With my ex's, who is with Manulife, they only require the policy holder (the EX) to write a letter stating the anything submitted on behave of the children covered, to have the refund released to me and they would. BUT, asshat will not do that and also keeps any check issued for this. I've taken it back through the courts twice and alway get the money back, but its a pain.

Expert Forum User

My ex has a GreenShield policy thru work and I cannot access anything personally because I am not the policy owner. Believe me.. I've been thru and continue to be through crap because of it.

If I can get the benefits to go through directly then all was ok... until my last attempt at getting a script filled. GreenSeild was told that Daegan had another private insurer.. no! Luckily I has a very compasssionate person at the Drug Store who was very lucky and able to talk to a manager at GreenSheild and fix it... because when I confronted the ex as expecteed he played dumb.

If it needs to be reimbursed.. good luck! I just got money from the ex this week from an expense incurred May 2009. Nothing but troubles...

SO is with a section of Great West Life. We have no issues reimbusing his Ex the moment we get the money issued to his account. Its only that we were pretty much 100% sure there was no point to even call them because they wouldn't do it where they'd issue the money to her directly. He called and checked anyways and sure enough it can't/won't be done.

I feel for you who have Ex's that keep the money to themselves. I know my dad did that on a few occassions and it led to some pretty ugly arguments about who had a right to those funds issued by the benefits company.