Thread: Bed Rails?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Bed Rails?

I'm not even sure if this is what they're called, but I'm looking for those bar things you put up on the side of a bed to keep kids from falling out Where do I get them?

We're moving DD into a toddler bed, then a single bed eventually. Can I buy one-size fits all type things or will I need different ones when she moves up?

AND I heard that there are 2 types - under the mattress and just side ones. Which are better and why??

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

We have double bed rails. They go under the mattress (I didn't know there was any other kind! ) and are attached so you don't have to put a separate one on each side. They expand and shrink as big as you want, so that you can put them on a single bed, but we have them on a double bed.
    Are you thinking about putting them on a toddler bed, though? I thought toddler beds come with their own rails, and I can't imagine it would be easy trying to squeeze extra rails in there. (Or am I misinterpreting the question?) Honestly, I don't have any experience with toddler beds and I find them kind of unnecessary if you have side rails for a "real" bed, except that toddlers probably find them more appealing because they're more attractive.
    Anyways, we got ours at Wal-Mart over a year ago. They're made by Safety 1st and have mesh sides, and I'm pretty happy with them.
    Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I agree with PP - I wouldn't put rails on a toddler bed. We have Safety First ones as well but we use the kind that only attach to the one side of the bed. DD's bed it against one wall so we don't need two sides. The one on my bed is for DD#2 - I sleep on the other side so the other side is not needed. We also have a king and I doubt the doubles would stretch that far anyhow! The one sided are great for travelling - we bring them along everywhere. Our too have mesh and we love them. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. We got ours at ToysRUs but I think they have them at Zellers, Wal-mart, etc... any baby dept. really.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    We have double bed rails. They go under the mattress (I didn't know there was any other kind! ) and are attached so you don't have to put a separate one on each side. They expand and shrink as big as you want, so that you can put them on a single bed, but we have them on a double bed.
    Are you thinking about putting them on a toddler bed, though? I thought toddler beds come with their own rails, and I can't imagine it would be easy trying to squeeze extra rails in there. (Or am I misinterpreting the question?) Honestly, I don't have any experience with toddler beds and I find them kind of unnecessary if you have side rails for a "real" bed, except that toddlers probably find them more appealing because they're more attractive.
    Anyways, we got ours at Wal-Mart over a year ago. They're made by Safety 1st and have mesh sides, and I'm pretty happy with them.
    Good luck!
    We do too. I like the double ones because they can't really 'fall' off because if your LO pushes on one side, the other side is sort of 'holding it on' so to speak. I'm not sure I would use them on a toddler bed either, but then again, we didn't have a toddler bed I got mine at Toys R Us and I love them!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

I sleep up against the rail all th time. DD hangs off hers. We have never had one fall off.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

The toddler bed we have is not a car or any of those flashy ones with extended sides or whatever - it's just a mini bed with a crib sized mattress. We were going to skip it altogether, but then we got it for free, and who am I to turn down free stuff! I think it needs rails bc she could definitely roll off and it's about 1-2 foot drop to the floor. I guess I'll just have to see how small they can go!