Thread: Plugged duct

babii_luv

Default Plugged duct

Ok so I think I may have a plugged duct. No fever though so it isnt an infection. It hurts soooo bad its like a hard lump. I have read up on some of the things to do to relieve it and nothing is working. Anyone know any other ideas ... I use the shower head and I massaged it. Someone said something about tea bags. Hopefully someone has some ideas lol its getting sore...

Expert Forum User

The only thing that ever worked for me was pumping in a hot shower. Worked like a charm. Also try pushing HARD on it while nursing. That can help too! Good luck.

Peek'a Boo

I always just pushed on it (downwards) in a really hot shower or while nursing, luckily that worked for me. I think I also used to nurse more frequently on that side until it cleared.

I heard something about cabbage leaves, but maybe that was just for engorgement?

I get this off and on. I have a shower the I nurse and massage it. Works for me .... good luck

kiwigurl

I suffered a lot from this, and then I discovered, that changing the feeding position worked really well, for example using the football hold. So try moving your baby around when you feed on that side. It relieved it almost straight away.
    Good Luck!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigurl View Post
    I suffered a lot from this, and then I discovered, that changing the feeding position worked really well, for example using the football hold. So try moving your baby around when you feed on that side. It relieved it almost straight away.
    Good Luck!
    This reminds me... you are supposed to put the baby's chin towards the duct. I had to put DD in some interesting positions to achieve this one though!

I have only ever had this a couple of times and was lucky enough to have them cleared up by the end of a feed. What worked for me was massaging the lump downward very firmly while DS was latched on. Other things I have heard that work are massaging in the shower, position changes, pumping and massaging (all already mentioned), and also a warm compress (facecloth) placed on the lump while baby feeds. Hope some of those techniques help.
    Tracey

Expert Forum User
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by thebarmybee View Post
    This reminds me... you are supposed to put the baby's chin towards the duct. I had to put DD in some interesting positions to achieve this one though!

Oh, I hear ya, lying on the bed with baby over the top of my shoulder! Hope you are feeling better soon. My sister currently has Mastitis and is very sick, hope yours won't turn into that.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by julia View Post
    Oh, I hear ya, lying on the bed with baby over the top of my shoulder! Hope you are feeling better soon. My sister currently has Mastitis and is very sick, hope yours won't turn into that.
    Oh - that would have worked much better than hanging her upside down by her ankles!

Hope your sister feels better soon!