Default popping in soother at night

My 3.5 month old ds is going to bed for the night around 7pm and getting up around 6-7 am. I know it sounds great, but I usually am nursing still once or twice through that time, which I can manage, but sometimes we are up 6-8 times just to pop in the soother! Geesh! He is sleeping in his own room because the sleep noise he was making was keeping us up, so to put the soother back in, it involves a trip down the hall and back, and invariably we step on one of the "Squeeky boards", potentially waking the curious 2 year who comes running to his door to see what is "going on". I think that the baby is getting lots of sleep etc, but we are struggling with all the interruptions. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it frustrates me when I am getting up and it ISN'T because he is hungry.

Should we continue doing this? Let him cry and find another way to soothe? I am not wanting to start a controversy, I just want to avoid walking into the walls the next day from being so tired. Our 2 year old is so active...I wouldn't space them this close together if I had to do it over again!

I should mention that I notice he does not have the same "suction" on the soother that my first son did, not that I can change that though.
    Ideas?

Expert Forum User

Not much advice here re: the soother. My 2 1/2 yo still has one! However, in regards to waking your 2yo... we had this problem too at first. DD #1 was used to peace and quiet at night - we had tip toed around all the time. After a couple of weeks of us not being quiet on purpose, walking around, watching loud movies, baby crying... she learned to sleep through it. Now nothing wakes her. I know this doesn't help your original problem but I did find that once I was not so worried about waking #1 that getting up with #2 was much less stressful, if not more restful! I'm sure you will figure it all out!

No advice either. That's exactly why I stopped trying to give my kids the soother...they just learnt to fall asleep on their own.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My kids never took to their soothers, so I cannot offer any advice. My first was also a heavy sleeper, with her little brother screaming away in the same room. Ugh you must hate me so I'll shut up now. I just want to let you know that you WILL look back at this one day. You could always try letting the baby cry if you want, and there's no shame in not being able to let him. You will find out really quick if he calms by crying or works to tension by crying. I didn't have the heart to let my ds cio, but he worked himself up into a frenzy when he cried. Hang in there, the baby will learn to self-soothe or find the soother at some point.

Oh I remember those days, I was up frequently to pop soothers back in. Being a first time Mom I had no idea I had given my baby a soother big enough for a 1 yr old. I had no clue they came in sizes and thats a big reason it popped out so much. When he got the right size I was still up alot. He learned around 5 months to put it in his mouth on his own. I literally had about 6 soothers scattered in his crib so he could find one at any time. It does get better, just takes time.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

Isn't life great when they can find their own soother...we always had multiple soothers scattered around as well...just incase one or two went MIA...lol

Hi Cathy,
    I had this problem with my daughter as well. I tried a suggestion that I read somewhere (I think it may have been the book 'The No Cry Sleep Solution', but I can't remember for sure) to gently remove the soother from the baby's mouth as they start to drift off to sleep (once their sucking starts to slow). This seemed to work for my baby. The first few times she would start to wake again as soon I took out the soother and I would have to pop it back in and take it out again a few times, but eventually she just let me take it out and stayed asleep. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

Logan just recently starting finding his soother at night and pops it back in. By about 9 months he was finally able to do this.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

csl2063

Yeah, it's a pain, but your little one will figure out how to put it in eventually. We, too, have a crib full of soothers, most of which are on the floor by morning!