Thread: sewing

Expert Forum User

Default sewing

I would really like to learn how to sew. Anyone out there use a sewing machine? I don't have a sewing machine and am wondering if I should just get one and try to learn on my own. Is it something I can learn on my own?

pookeyb

Default Sewing is Awesome

I recently just got my first official sewing machine, thanx to hubby, who finally granted my 5 year wish. Always had to borrow one in the past. He found me this awesome sewing machine, that does over 200 STITCHES (not kidding). Only thing it doesn't do is make breakfast. But ever since i got it, i have made clothes for my kids and myself, and currently workin on some for my hubby(feels left out). And it gives u such an awesome feelin, knowing u made the clothes they r wearing. But FOR SURE, if you are interested in learning to sew, go to JOYCEs Sewing Shop in Wortley Village. If you buy one of there machines, they will teach u how to use it. Then i recommend u to buy your fabric at Fabricland and sign up for their membership. You'll definitely save money on your first trip.

My MIL taught me the ropes, then I just went from there on my own. I have a serger now as well. I just finished making myself a king sized duvet cover, it looks awesome, if I do say so myself.

Banned

Until this past summer I hadn't used a sewing machine since grade 7 Home Ec (talk about showing my age!). But then we bought a house with unusual shaped windows and I refused to pay the outrageous prices they charge for curtains.

So, I downloaded some instructions from the internet on how to make curtains and then I borrowed my mum's old machine and had the battle of my life with it - I thought I was completely useless. Then I decided I would buy my own.

I bought a machine from Sears - it wasn't the top of the line but not the bottom either, and hopefully does everything that I will ever want it to do. As a bonus, when you buy a sewing machine from Sears you get a free sewing class (held at the Sears store). Turned out I was the only person in the class so had one-on-one instruction for 2 hours. I felt like I could do anything when I got home, and making the curtains was very easy. (Twas at Sears Westmount, I assume all the Sears places are the same).

I haven't tried any clothes yet but thought I might try some pajamas first.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't teach yourself, and maybe Spectrum has classes too?

Alison

I know someone who had a shop in Ottawa teaching children and adults how to sew (using machines). She recently moved here (to be with family, Grandkids) and is slowly reestablishing herself.

I took a sewing class from her, and I didn't realize how much of the the sewing basics I didn't know despite sewing for several years! Wish I had taken one right at the beginning, to establish some good habits from the get-go.

If you're interested, I can ask her if she still has spaces, and can then pass on her contact info.. She currently runs her business out of her basement. She will help you determine which features of a machine you will need for the projects you have in mind, which manufacturers produce reliable workhorse machines etc..
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i just started back sewing, i learnt in highschool like most ppl. I just got one of those small ones it does the trick right now! When we move i would like to get a bigger one, but still use the small one! I think that anyone can learn how to sew. It might take some time but i have faith in you!

Good luck and keep us posted
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

I thought I read something about sewing classes in this week's Pennysaver so I dug it out of the recycling box:

It's for kids ages 6-16 (don't see why you can't phone and see if you can do some lessons too)

Disa Sewing School
    call Jill at 519-455-3624
    Classes start Jan 15

I think there is a store in White Oaks that sells sewing machines and also offers classes too.