Thread: tornado safety

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default tornado safety

So I had a conversation with DS today about tornadoes, since a lady at the bus stop said there was warnings for tonight. Anyway, I'm not really sure what you're supposed to do if there is one. We don't have a basement, which is what I assume is the safest place. I've also heard that bathtubs are good. Or closets. And what about opening windows? Some people say it's good to do because of equalizing the pressure or something, but others say it doesn't do any good. Got any tornado safety tips I can pass on to DS?

Expert Forum User

i believe the weather network has safety tips somewhere. I believe small room in middle of the house is best away from outside walls and windows. either way dont worry too much, the weather network cant predict yesturdays weather. Under the Weather: Tornado Safety - The Weather Network
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

I haven't read the above link. I have been in three tornados (along with my three lightning sticks, I am hoping three is the limit for these things!)

Bathtub, closet or small room without windows is best. They have tested the opening the windows thing and it is not true. In fact it increases damages because sometimes the water damage is worse then some broken glass.

We don;t get the major tornadoes here they get in the US. If you were in an apartment and knew for sure one was coming at your building I would recommend taking the stairs down to the parking garage, or staying at the stairway in at the lowest level. I hope that helps!

Odd I don't know where all these tornado warning are from Environment Canada isn't reporting anything.

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Expert Forum User

theres no warnings as of yet, just a thunderstorm watch but we were suposed to have a stormy afternoon and its been sunny.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Thanks Pancake, I had wondered about the parking garage. Good to know. DS is slightly freaked out right now because it has been windy

Expert Forum User

My Dad lives in Texas, and he doesnt have a basement, well none of them there do, but he has always said to get into the middle room of the house, which is usually the bathroom and get in the tub.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

At school we are instructed to move away from any windows, to avoid flying glass and debris. I think that is why they suggest an interior room and possibly a closet. I think the bathtub is suggested because it is heavy.

Expert Forum User

What if your building has no basement or parking garage? I guess we're pretty much toast in the unlikely event that a tornado barged through? Like if there is a warning issued for London should I really get the kids up and head for the first floor or just hope it misses us?
    I do have to say though it looks pretty nice out right now from where I'm sitting...I'm not sure I believe this storm will materialize.

[/url]

Yeah, itès gorgeous out now. Nice breeze, sunny skies.

Whoa, what the heck is thatÉ Ah! and that. ÈéÉè whatès wrong with my computer

Expert Forum User

What if your building has no basement or parking garage? I guess we're pretty much toast in the unlikely event that a tornado barged through? Like if there is a warning issued for London should I really get the kids up and head for the first floor or just hope it misses us?
    Mostly tornadoes go for low-lying stuff like trailer parks, I've never heard of one taking out an apartment building. I would just stay away from the windows.
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn