View Poll Results: Would you send your kids to Private School or Boarding School if you had the $$$??

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, either

3 3.41%
  • Yes, only Private day School

43 48.86%
  • Yes, only Private Boarding School

1 1.14%
  • No, not at all

35 39.77%
  • undecided

6 6.82%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Would you send your kids to Private School? Boarding School?

Poll to follow.

I come from a British family and that is what is done at 7 years old would you believe? My Dad, Uncle, Aunt and 2 cousins as well as my Grandparents went to Boarding School. My uncle went on to Cambridge Uni and my Dad was accepted into Oxford Uni but wanted to be an Accountant so when to LSE --London School of Economics, a top-notch Accounting College.

I went to a Private Boarding School from 15-18 years old here in Canada. I went home on Thanksgiving, Christmas break, Easter break and Summer holidays. I also went to school from end of August to April with almost 4 months off for summer holidays. DH went to Private Day School from Grade 1-Grade 13 in Breslau outside of KW.

I like the Public and Catholic school system here but wonder why there is Matthew Hall for JK-Grade 8 but not a good private high school. Nancy Campbell I have heard weird things about and it is so small, but closer to where we live. In Britian, parents, including my uncle and aunt, re-morgaged their house to put their kids in the best boarding school they were able to afford. That is the British system. Very different from the Canadian school system.

I wonder if DH and I would send DS1 and DS2 away to private boarding school for highschool? Currently for all their schooling both DS1 and DS2 would be able to walk to their schools living in Old South. DS1 starts JK, 2.5 blocks away from our house and will go with friends that he has met at Nursery School in the same area.

I am a teacher trained in Alberta, however I have not taught since moving to Ontario from Vancouver. My thesis was comparing the British and Canadian Elementary school systems specifically the Physical Education component -- Brits have way more Phys Ed than Canadian pupils, and that is an understatement! I am very passionate about this issue and hope for some good debate once DS1 and DS2 go to bed tonight!

Just wanting to start some debate over the dinner hour and tonight? Any teachers want to step in, then please do!
    Last edited by Granola; 06-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

my mom went to boarding school as a teen.

i wouldnt want my kids too. i feel i would miss too much of their lives.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We have often talked about private school within the city if for some reason Kait could not attend the school she is currently at. We love the school itself , but would not want her returning to the one she used to be at or the other option that could occur if that one was closed. So we have said IF it were a matter of not being able to attend the one we currently prefer we would definately make it work for our children to get the education and experience we want. We have some coverage for private school though and the rest we would make it work.

NOW here is the big thing though. I want my kids to enjoy where they are and want to go there ... AS WELL as getthe best possible opportunities and education. so IF either ever wanted to go to boarding school and it was what seemed better for them then we would also consider that. I would never send my kids away .. or force them. I want them to go where they want too kwim? nOt at 6 .. she does not know ... but like the highschool years
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I always wanted to go to Bethany Hills -- it was an all Girls boarding school in Lindsay but we could not afford it
    If I had the money, I would put DD in private school in a heart beat.. bordering school.. only if we could afford it and she wanted to.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

I wanted to go to boarding school from the time I was 14. At 16 I finally got my wish and moved to south america for “schooling“.

If I could afford it and my kids wanted to go, I would send them. I plan on sending them for a year once they hit 15-16 to another country to learn the language, etc.
    Last edited by WateryTart; 06-22-2010 at 04:43 PM.

Expert Forum User

For sure if we could afford it!

Nope. I have faith in our free education system. And I wouldn't want to be an absent presence in their formative years. I think I'd probably homeschool over private at this point.

BUT my kids aren't in school yet, so who knows. Maybe I'll want to ship them away.

I wanted to go to boarding school in HS. Several kids in my neighbourhood were sent to Ridley College in TO for HS. If either DD wanted to go to Boarding school in HS I would let them.

I would send DD to a private school, IF I had visited it and found that it could offer more to meet her intrests than a public school would. It would be based on what it could offer, rather then any specific desire to be in a private school vs a public.

I am a teacher by the way.

I wouldn't send them to boarding school. Doing an exchange or something, for the experience, possibly. But I would not send my kid/s away to school. I already think people presume the teachers will take care of more than they're actually responsible for - I don't consider it solely a teacher's job to teach my kids. I expect to be involved, too. I expect to be available to help nurture their interests, or help them find the means to pursue other topics that might not be covered in school at that time.
    I also want to be part of their lives.
    I should know who their friends are, where they are at a given time, etc. I don't feel I would know that if they were living a completely separate life.

Nowadays, you are done high school at 17. Often they move away to college or uni then. I think that is entirely young enough if not too young.

Even if I had millions, I would not send them away to school.
    I don't have a ton of faith in the public school system, but I'd prefer that with us filling in any gaps, to them being absent from our lives.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

ditto turtle.

I would totally miss my kids WAY too much.
    highschool is like the last years you have with them before they move out - I wouldn't want to be sending them away for those

if I had millions we would all travel the world together and learn that way instead of any school.

I would totally encourage my kids to go somewhere for an exchange or work/teach somewhere when they are done highschool.
    Teaching in china was the best (and worst lol) experience of my life and totally shaped me into the person I am and I am forever greatful for having had that experience.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by foximamma View Post
    if I had millions we would all travel the world together and learn that way instead of any school.

I would totally encourage my kids to go somewhere for an exchange or work/teach somewhere when they are done highschool.
    Teaching in china was the best (and worst lol) experience of my life and totally shaped me into the person I am and I am forever greatful for having had that experience.
    That is how I felt about my time in Brazil.

No boarding school and no private school, even if we could afford it. I don't believe in private school because I think the regular school system and Catholic school system are more than sufficient for the average student. I find private schools to be elitist and breed expectations that are not realistic in the real world. Being surrounded by rich people is not how I want my children to be raised. You can say all you want that private schools are diverse, have scholarships, etc... but those people are the minority, most students come from wealthy families.

This is actually a hot topic for me so I could go on forever. I was almost sent to Appleby College in Oakville but my mom vetoed it. She was a single mom and my dad wanted to send me and pay for it. But my mom felt I would think it 'normal' to go on exotic vacations every school holiday, have all the latest clothes and gadgets, etc.. I am very glad she made that decision, especially after going to university and seeing the people that came from private school. There are exceptions of course but in general, I was not a fan.

I also didn't like that private schools have their own rules and grading systems that don't mesh with the public school system. They routinely bumped grades to ensure more of their students got into the top university programs, thus maintaining their reputations as 'elite' private schools. That made me angry and I think furthers the sense of entitlement that their graduates have. Not to mention the old boys network and alumni that continues well into the working world (ie graduates only hiring other graduates, etc..) and overall, not a fan. Sorry this was so long!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sk8temom View Post
    No boarding school and no private school, even if we could afford it. I don't believe in private school because I think the regular school system and Catholic school system are more than sufficient for the average student. I find private schools to be elitist and breed expectations that are not realistic in the real world. Being surrounded by rich people is not how I want my children to be raised. You can say all you want that private schools are diverse, have scholarships, etc... but those people are the minority, most students come from wealthy families.

This is actually a hot topic for me so I could go on forever. I was almost sent to Appleby College in Oakville but my mom vetoed it. She was a single mom and my dad wanted to send me and pay for it. But my mom felt I would think it 'normal' to go on exotic vacations every school holiday, have all the latest clothes and gadgets, etc.. I am very glad she made that decision, especially after going to university and seeing the people that came from private school. There are exceptions of course but in general, I was not a fan.

I also didn't like that private schools have their own rules and grading systems that don't mesh with the public school system. They routinely bumped grades to ensure more of their students got into the top university programs, thus maintaining their reputations as 'elite' private schools. That made me angry and I think furthers the sense of entitlement that their graduates have. Not to mention the old boys network and alumni that continues well into the working world (ie graduates only hiring other graduates, etc..) and overall, not a fan. Sorry this was so long!
    Exotic to one person is normal to another. I went on the following field trips:

Grade one: day trip to holland.
    Grade two: Two nights in Paris
    Grade three: One week skiing in the swiss alps.

Grade 11: Two weeks exploring the rainforests of Brazil.

I went to public school in Germany, and did some highschool in Brazil. The only reason we Canadians don't go to fun places is because it is so expensive and time consuming to get there. But...I want my kids to have my experiences. i don't want my kids to be content with the mundane. Why NOT expect exotic trips and fun in life?

And I don't get why going to a catholic school is ok by you, but going to a christian private school is wrong? I mean, if I wanted my kid to have a religious education, I am only able to have “free“ education so long as I am a Catholic. If I am of another faith, I am shittoutaluck.

And as to the new gadgets.. public schooling is not any better than private for discouraging materialism in kids. I have not seen any evidence of this at all. Thanks to excellent advertising by corporations that appeal to people across the financial spectrum, kids want a new cell phone, the newest game system, a nice sound system... whether they are in a private school or public school.

Expert Forum User

Yes, I would send to either. I don't think I'd consider boarding school until at least high school though. I did an exchange to Mexico, and traveled quite a bit from 16-22 (when I got married and pregnant) and would love my children to have the same opportunity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast