Smile 1 year ago today

After spending 10 weeks at St. Joes, we came home 1 year ago today. It's getting hard to remember those long days of pumping, kangarooing, watching monitors....
    I can't imagine life without my little pumpkin and am so grateful for the amazing doctors, nurses and support staff there.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Woo hoo!! Congrats on your ani!
    I actually have spent so much time back in the St. Joe's wards latley... another NICU mama is having another baby early again..... so srange being there again.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

Congrats!

Expert Forum User

Congratulations on making it a year after NICU!
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

congratulations, tinad Happy one-year-home anniversary

You will find that the time in the NICU seems more and more distant (In my experience). That 10 weeks, your WHOLE LIFE is about that hospital and everything you can do for your LO. And even at the one-year mark of DS being home, life was starting to seem normal, but I still remembered the whole experience so vividly. And in the first few years, he was still our 'preemie' , if you know what I mean. It was always in the back of our minds, in terms of watching for things.

Now, 5 years later, it almost seems like it was someone else's baby that we visited. It doesn't seem possible that he was that boy in the isolette.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Quote Originally Posted by tinad View Post
    After spending 10 weeks at St. Joes, we came home 1 year ago today. It's getting hard to remember those long days of pumping, kangarooing, watching monitors....
    I can't imagine life without my little pumpkin and am so grateful for the amazing doctors, nurses and support staff there.
    conrats!! This is huge!! ahh...yes, pumping, kagarooring, watching the monitors...will never forget it. (wow, big lump in my throat even writing this)

Our 2 year NICU anniversary is coming up next week. Our 4 month NICU stay and 1 pounder is still pretty fresh...but its slowly getting less raw. We're pregnant with #2 and am now 22 weeks along..getting into the “scary zone“ as my daughter was born at 25 weeks..but trying to stay positive!

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo74 View Post
    congratulations, tinad Happy one-year-home anniversary

You will find that the time in the NICU seems more and more distant (In my experience). That 10 weeks, your WHOLE LIFE is about that hospital and everything you can do for your LO. And even at the one-year mark of DS being home, life was starting to seem normal, but I still remembered the whole experience so vividly. And in the first few years, he was still our 'preemie' , if you know what I mean. It was always in the back of our minds, in terms of watching for things.

Now, 5 years later, it almost seems like it was someone else's baby that we visited. It doesn't seem possible that he was that boy in the isolette.
    It is interesting that you mention being a premie. I still sleep in the same room as my DD and my parents give me a hard time but what I cančt get them to understand is she may seem normal but the chances of things happening are so much higher. I guess being in NICU and the apneas really screwed me up. Plus when we were in Care by Parent with no monitors my DD got sick and stopped breathing and turned blue. Thank God my husband noticed. These experiences seem so distant but are forever etched in my mind.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by tinad View Post
    It is interesting that you mention being a premie. I still sleep in the same room as my DD and my parents give me a hard time but what I cančt get them to understand is she may seem normal but the chances of things happening are so much higher. I guess being in NICU and the apneas really screwed me up. Plus when we were in Care by Parent with no monitors my DD got sick and stopped breathing and turned blue. Thank God my husband noticed. These experiences seem so distant but are forever etched in my mind.
    Tinad, I remember going through the same thing. Even though the experience may become more distant in your memory, I think the emotional part can stay close by for a long time after. I remember that we tried very hard to treat DS like a “normal kid“ from the time we brought him home. We tried not to dwell in the NICU part of it. But it's impossible for that experience not to become a part of you. Especially if it's your first child! Now that I've had a 2nd child and experienced the more 'normal' birth, I have more awareness of how different it was for us the first time, if that makes sense.

I think the people around us forget those first days more easily because they didn't live through the NICU experience. They see the outcome with a beautiful LO who is thriving But they didn't see all the things we did.

I can't help but think it would be almost impossible not to be a bit more vigilant with our LO's after that scary beginning. I remember when DS first got all the monitors and wires taken off and we were a day or two away from going to Care by Parent. I was holding DS in my arms and having an evening cuddle and suddenly watched him turn ashen, and then blue Then watched the nurse quickly get his breathing going again. I was paralyzed in the moment, but afterwards when I got home, I was overwhelmed by it.

If it helps you to know, DS coslept with us until he was almost 4 His breathing was so erratic when he came home and I noticed that it evened out if he was sleeping next to me. So that was all I needed to decide on cosleeping. My parents dropped comments all the time. So did friends, daycare provider, other family. In the end, I didn't really care, because I knew how precious it was to have DS with us. We knew how easily it could have been different

Sounds like you're doing great with your LO
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."