Banned

Default crafts for 4 yr old

My DD#1 will turn 4 next week. Every time she sees me doing something "crafty" like knitting or sewing she asks me to show her how and I always have to say I'll show her when she's older. I'd really like to be able to buy her a special present just from me that is some kind of crafty thing like this, but I can't find anything age appropriate! Everything I find is for ages 6+. I don't want her to get totally frustrated early on and never try again, but I don't know what to try. I bought one of those bobbin knitter things (I used to call it French knitting but I don't know what the proper name is - it's like a bobbin with four nails in the top and you pass the wool over the wool on the nails and you get this long strand of stuff coming out the bottom). Anyway, I bought one of those but I think it might be too fiddly for her. I've seen these great big hoops with lots of pegs on them but the recommended age is 8+.

Does anyone have any ideas of something that would be suitable for a 4 year old? I want it to be something that I can show her how to do and then leave her to it without having to rescue her every 2 minutes because it's too hard for her, and I'd like her to be able to actually make something out of what she's doing!!

I'm off to Scholar's Choice for a look tomorrow but if anyone could suggest something I would very much appreciate it!

TIA!

Expert Forum User

Sorry, no help Alison. DD is totally into making bead necklaces-that is as far as her craftiness is right now. That though takes full adult interaction at age 4.
    Good Luck with the search.

melissa and doug make craft kits for ages 4 plus...

I got my son one today actually, a wood pirate chest to decorate, they have a decorate your own piggybank, princess mirror, bookmarks, heart shaped wooden box.... they are 7 dollarsish and super cute

back to my grey's... stop distracting me Alison (lol)
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

How about sewing with yarn, a yarn needle, and felt? Cut out felt shapes (mittens, a teddy bear, a purse, Christmas stocking, etc.) and punch holes along the edges to be sewn. Then she can sew the pieces together with yarn to make the objects.
    formerly Kathy

Check out Michael's Craft Store?

I'm sure there are some big plastic cross stitch sheets that she can do work with using a large plastic needle.

Check out the following links;

http://www.growingtreetoys.com/product/6468

http://www.growingtreetoys.com/product/5303

Banned

I had a wander around both Micheal's and Scholar's Choice yesterday and in the end I've bought her one of those bobbin knitter things and some purple wool, and a purple bag that can be her knitting bag. But I LOVE the idea with the felt shapes - thanks Kathy! - I'm off to the dollar store tomorrow morning to see what kind of supplies I can find, and I'm going to search the internet for some shapes I can cut out!

Does anyone know if a normal hold punch is strrong enough to go through felt or do I need something tougher?

how about finger knitting?
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Siana View Post
    how about finger knitting?
    ummmmmm...I don't know how to do that myself so I might have a hard time teaching her!!

Do you know a good website where I can learn in less than a week!