csl2063

Question Blood in Breast Milk

I have some sort of crack or cut on my nipple that bleeds when I bf or pump. I've asked the Health Nurses about it and they told me just to carry on as normal. It seems so weired, though, feeding Zia pink milk!

Anyone else had this problem?

Expert Forum User

I've had bleeding nipples before but I don't remember the milk being pink. Are you getting treated for the crack? That would be my bigger concern.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My nipples cracked and scabbed over within the first 24 hrs of bf'ing paige! They told me the same thing; to carry on. The nurses also boiled tea bags, then wrung them out and had me hold them against my nipples (sounded bizarro when I was a new mom). I found out of everything I tried (tea bags, lansinoh, breastmilk), that rubbing breastmilk on my nipples at the end of each feed helped them heal the best. Keep in mind any flu-like symtoms or a fever, which could be an infection from the crack. Ouchy!!

Polly

I had that too. I'll never forget my newborn son gazing up at me with smears of blood and milk over his face. I got the same advice too, just carry on, watch out for flu symptoms. It only happened with my first baby.

csl2063

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I'll never forget my newborn son gazing up at me with smears of blood and milk over his face.
    Well I guess it is Halloween. I thought about dressing Zia as a vampire, as she's drinking blood already!

I would consider that both appropriate AND hilarious!! be sure to take pics while she's "feeding" hahaha

Expert Forum User

I also had pink milk for a while during my first month of breastfeeding... they were nice and scabbed over as well I stopped pumping during this period because I couldn't stand to look at it (I'm bad with blood), but continued to breastfeed through the discomfort.

I wanted to dress natalie up as a "milk" vampire because I dont know of a time when she doesn't end up with milk fangs after a feed :P

Absolutely carry on, but I would be trying to figure out why I had a cracked and bleeding nipple ten months out, usually is related to a poor latch in the early months. Have you checked her mouth for thrush? Is she teething?
    Looking for a doula? Contact --
    www.babeezeinarms.com

I tried breastfeeding and pumping and I would literally pump blood. I remember trying to stick with it like everyone tells you to do, but 2 oz of blood in the bottom of the bottle was just too much for me. Not to mention the scabs that I opened up each time. The nurse insisted that I had a proper latch, but the baby had a strong suck and literally tore my nipples to pieces. He is now a healthy 20lb 6 month old thriving on yes . . . formula. I just read that your daughter is 10 months old already . . . hmm.

Same here around 10 mos. He was getting his 1 yr molars. I found polysporin for kids with pain killer in it worked best. I alternated polysporin, BM and lansinoh and it was better in 2 days (after bleeding for 3 weeks!!!!).
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

M2M

if it makes you feel any better about it, I leaked blood instread of milk from about 4 months pregnant on. there were no cracks cuts nothing, it was actual blood coming out instead of milk. its what they called rusty pipe syndrome since I was the first case they had ever had at LHSC. I was also supposed to get ultrasounds on my breasts but didnt....I think I might if it happens again this time.

csl2063

"Rusty pipe syndrome" lol.

The blood cleared up after about a week. All I did was rub on some milk at the end of feeding or pumping, and let them air dry. I spoke to the nurse at one of the breastfeeding clinics, who said I should see my doctor if it didn't clear up in a couple of days, but she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

As for why it would happen at 10 months, I've no idea. It happened once before (at about 4 or 5 months), lasted for a few days, and cleared up on its own just like this time. Breastfeeding was very painful at first because I have completely inverted nipples and it took a while for all the 'bonds' at the back of the nipple to break, but I never had any bleeding. I don't get sore, either, because I've always used a nipple shield. It can be a pain at times, but it definitely has advantages!

I don't know exactly what the problem was but it seems to have cleared up, anyway. Thanks for the support. It's always good to know that I'm not the only one who's had this problem.