Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Semi-private/Private hospital rooms...

I just saw the bill from my last hospital stay (3 days) and I was charged $1045.00 for the upgrade in my room. I spent 1 day in semi-private, and 2 in private. This seems really expensive to me (and WAY more than I remember spending last time). Does this seem right to you? Maybe I've just blocked out how much it costs to have a baby! TIA for any input you can give!

Expert Forum User

Your not talking out of pocket now right? I was covered for semi and upgraded too. For $1045 it sounds like you (and I) were staying at the St. Joes Ritz Calton!
    I never saw the bill five years ago when I had my DD but holy cow, that's a horendous amount of $$$ for an upgrade.

EEesk.....I'll be getting my bill soon too!

we are covered for semi..we only had to pay the difference between semi and private. For us at the hospital I was at..it was only about $40.00 I was in had my daughter and right back out..so it was one night stay. If you do not have insurance that covers semi..you have to pay the difference between the 4 bed and private.

(hope that makes sense)
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

I remembered it being about $40 per night upgrade as well. That is why I am so blown away by this one. I do not pay it out-of-pocket, my benefits cover it but I have a maximum usage each year. So... the company paid the whole $1045 to the hospital and I now have less than $500 benefits to cover me for the rest of the year. I have regular chiro and massage appts that I WILL now have to pay out of pocket, so I end up paying for it in the end. To me it sounds like they charged the company for the whole amount not just the upgrade...

I know at vic we filled out a sheet for coverage - it stated though that the upgrade to semiprivate was something like $230 per night and private was about $270 per night (it was right around there anyways) I think something went wrong in the billing - I would call and ask. It does not sound right.

Laura
    Zachary ^i^ Aug 9/01
    Caleb & Benjamin July 13/02
    Jackson February 13/07

Banned

Holy cow! I just looked up mine from when Jack was born. I was in the hospital Monday am - Wed pm. Insurance covers semi private so I just paid the extra to go to private and it was $50. I know what I'd be doing first thing Monday morning!!

Expert Forum User

From what i remember 3 years ago it was about $250ish per night for a private room. I think....so you should definitely call and check that out.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't think that's right at all, for full-out it shouldn't have cost that much money.

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

Wow, that seems like a lot. I was covered for a semi and upgraded to a private room. We paid $40.00 for the upgrade the one night I was there.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Call the hospital tomorrow and just curiously ask the prices of semi private and private. When you get the prices...check with what you were billed.

From there call the hospital back and ask for billing and have them explain what went wrong...and from that call your insurance company.

I know its a lot of running around...But even if you had to pay the full amount...you would have to be in private for about a week not a few days.

(Haha did you get extra specail room service? prime rib maybe 3 times a day??)

I was at Childrens Hospital (vic) But the prices are the same.

Expert Forum User

I'm in NS but... I was covered for semiprivate and upgraded to private. The difference in cost was $15 per night (went from $105 to $120). I'm quite surprised by the difference between provinces. I arrived at 5 am Dec 25th and left on the 28th or 29th??? and it cost me less than $50 total.

I wonder how the care varies?

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

I had the boys in Kitchener. All the rooms there are private for vag. deliveries. If I had a section, the upgrade from semi to private was only $30 a night I believe. I would certainly be in touch with the hospital tomorrow to find out what's going on.

Expert Forum User

I would call them if it doesn't seem right because we got our bill about a month ago and we were overcharged.

the hospital does make mistakes.
    back in dec they gave my release papers to another woman.
    with all my personal info.
    sure they called when they noticed their error.
    but orginally claimed i MUST have brought them home with me.

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

Expert Forum User

Mmm... looks like I may be on to something here. So OHIP covers a ward room, right? Anyone know how much that is? Thanks for all the advice, I will call tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast