Expert Forum User

Default Today I want to chit chat about Interviews

.... I suck at them!! I have one this week and I really want this position but there will be lots of other well qualified applicants.

I can do demo interviews with sisters and DF to get myself prepared but when I get into the room my mind goes blank.

How can I relax and make myself stand out.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you end the interview?? What questions can you ask?

Expert Forum User

My mind goes blank too... and if they ask a weird question I sit there and then I'm like “what did they just ask me??“ so you're not alone lol.

I usually relax after talking for a few mins about weather, etc... light stuff. I just do research on the company so you can ask questions about that.... hard for me to give an example... ok here's one... Dh has an interview not long ago and it is a small company so he asked the owner where he sees the company going in the future. You can ask what type of employee they are looking for... ummmmmmmmmmm I dunno what else. Just be happy, smile, have eye contact and shake their hand before and after. Good luck!!!!!!!

Expert Forum User

Apparently I suck at interviews as well. (after my last interview, I met with the interview people to find out how to improve my skills) My advice similliar to Agata's. Make sure to shake hands and introduce yourself at the beginning. Shake hands after and thank them for meeting with you. Smile. Try not to look blank and nervous. Don't figit.

If you have the job posting that is apparently the best place to find info on what to say. Make sure you use words like communication and any others that really stick out on the posting. Emphases on your ability to attend work on a regular basis. That is SOOO important. If you are sick a lot (or even a bit) and they find out...Say good bye to your job!

Questions to ask?..........I have no idea cause I don't know what kind of job you are applying for.

But.......GOOD LUCK!!
    Last edited by HappyMomma; 05-31-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Good luck Michelle! You are fabulous, try to smile, keep eye contact, and be confident that you are just as qualified!

Don't know what kind of job it is either, but definitely be prepared with a few questions - opportunities for advancement, work environment, special policies, etc.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

thanks ladies.... With the school board as an ECE for the All day learning...

I know I will have questions based on Safety, behavioural, why hire me for this position..what do to if you have a conflict with another staff..

Expert Forum User

I get really freaked out to and have to do some deep breathing before going into the room! I usually listen to the question and take a bit of time to think about my answer before blurting something out. I am usually a big “um“ and “ah“ girl but really try to avoid this at all costs during an interview. Also, have a few questions ready for them at the end like “what is a typical day like“, “how will I receive any feedback about my job performance“ , etc. You will do great, good luck!

Send me a PM if you want to chat on the phone in preparation for your interview, I'd be happy to help. Here are some tips:

- make SURE you review the job description and information about the company/ school board prior to the interview. Likely they'll ask you what your understand is of the job, and you should have a solid understanding of it BEFORE the interview
    - it's perfectly OK to bring in a notepad and jot down a few notes about the questions they are asking. Write down a few points you'd like to mention in your answer and take a minute to think about your reponse before you answer a big question
    - Make eye contact, smile, be direct with your interviewers
    - Have a few questions ready for the end of the interview- at the first interview don't ask about compensation. That should come later on the process, for a professional job. Ask things like what does their ideal candidate look like, what sorts of students will you be working with etc. Honestly, I wouldnt' ask how the deal with interpersonal conflict in the first interview. They could take this as a flag that you have had interpersonal conflicts in previous positions, and you don't want them thinking that
    - most professional organizations these days will ask a series of behavioural-based questions. Ie- questions that ask “tell me about a time when...“, they'll describe a situation and ask you to talk about an example of a time you were able to demonstrate that skill/task. For example, they could ask “tell me about a time you were a member of a team, and the team encountered a problem of some sort. What was the resolution to the problem, and what role did you play in that resolution.“

PM me if you want to walk through any situations over the phone. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

So firm hand shake before and after interview... introduce myself, Smile, try to relax, focus on questions at hand, thank them and ask questions ...got it...anything else....my last interview ( well before the last which I bombed but they said i did well and it was a hard decision it came down to her having more experience at head office, I never worked at head before) was a group one..and I knew I got that one and the other person who would get it..due to our answers and always having input on everything that related to the position. It was easier because you had time to think and you could elaborate on someone elses answer or it would make you think of your own experience....