Expert Forum User

Default NY Times - Top 5 Organic Choices

Not terribly surprising what's on the list, but a good, quick read nonetheless:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...=5070&emc=eta1

thanks, great link!
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I actually didn't know that peanut crops were so vast. Hmn.

Thanks!
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

mumtobelle

Geez, I never even thought about ketchup. One of the few brand name products I buy faithfully and never budge on is Heinz Ketchup. Maybe it's time to try some organic ketchup.

Hmmm...organic peanut butter it will be. I flip back and forth between buying organic milk and conventional milk - it so expensive and my whole body tightens up when I pick up the organic milk in the store. Got me thinking though - too bad I went grocery shopping yesterday as I may lose my committment by next week Unless someone wants to remind me
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

"For some families, ketchup accounts for a large part of the household vegetable intake."

Did that make anyone else gag a little? Coincidentally, the last time I bought ketchup I bought organic (mostly just to annoy anti-eco DH ) and he hasn't commented on it, so it must be good. (it was PC)

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    Hmmm...organic peanut butter it will be. I flip back and forth between buying organic milk and conventional milk - it so expensive and my whole body tightens up when I pick up the organic milk in the store. Got me thinking though - too bad I went grocery shopping yesterday as I may lose my committment by next week Unless someone wants to remind me

I wanted to let you in on some info about Canadian milk. Sadly, most of the info we get about conventional milk is from sources in the US.

However, in Canada any dairy cow can not be given hormones or antibiotics. And, even in the case that a cow gets sick and given antibiotics that cows milk is disposed of until all drugs are out of thier system.

Of course, sadly, there still will be some pesticide residue in the milk from the grain feed but it will be artificially hormone and antibiotic free. This goes for cheese etc too.

Even though I buy about 90% of my foods organic I do not buy organic dairy. I find we have to be savy about buying organics if your budget won't support 100% organic groceries.

Besides, I am not a big fan of milk. To me it is not nature's perfect food unless it is human breast milk. We are the only mammal that drinks another mammals milk.

Anyway, I am getting off topic.

Just wanted to let you know that in the grand scheme of the terrible drug laden foods out there that conventional milk is one of the 'better' non-organic foods.

day care mommy. where did you get that info about canadian milk? I have just been thinking we should switch to organic milk. I drank goats milk when I was pregnant but that it too expenisive to keep up for the amount of milk our house drinks.

I am not sure exactly where I read it. I am always researching and reading about food and organics etc so it is hard to say.

I do know that the government of Ontario or Canada website (can't remember which one) has tones of info about the farming industry regulations on it. There is a specific section on dairy farming.

If I can find it I will post a link.

Here is a really good article about it:

http://www.milkingredients.ca/DCP/ap...A419C62D33.pdf

llbgal

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremommy View Post
    Here is a really good article about it:

http://www.milkingredients.ca/DCP/ap...A419C62D33.pdf

Thanks for posting this. I was going to let others know this as well. I researched this as well after hearing how "bad" milk is/was -- only to eventually realize that the "bad" milk is from the U.S. NOT Canada.

HOWEVER, I was recently speaking with someone (I have not checked out this info yet) but the person was saying that although Canadian milk is fine -- you have to be careful about ICE CREAM!! Apparently, Canadian manufacturer's can use U.S. milk (cheaper apparently). I do not have any first hand info. about this BUT I am looking into it.

Just wanted to let you know that in the grand scheme of the terrible drug laden foods out there that conventional milk is one of the 'better' non-organic foods.
    It's really too bad cows and goats milk (for drinking) is homogenized, regardless of whether it's non-organic or organic. The exceptions are yogurt and some cheeses from some companies. I too am not big at all on milk from other mammals, but when we do consume some milk products, we always aim for non-homogenized, and raw when possible (enzymes are intact).
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

However, in Canada any dairy cow can not be given hormones or antibiotics. And, even in the case that a cow gets sick and given antibiotics that cows milk is disposed of until all drugs are out of thier system.

Of course, sadly, there still will be some pesticide residue in the milk from the grain feed but it will be artificially hormone and antibiotic free. This goes for cheese etc too.
    It all comes down to why you buy organic - if it's for nutritional reasons, you have to be savy bc often there isn't a difference. If, like me, it's for environmental reasons, the differences are huge across the board.

Although there aren't hormones injected in dairy cows and antibiotics have to run through, only organic cows are fed organic foods themselves (i.e. grass instead of corn, which they aren't naturally supposed to eat causing more infections and then drugs), and aren't fed animal bi-products (i.e. meat - although cows are naturally herbivores). There are also rules about how the cows are housed if they are organic dairy cows and I assume (although I really shouldn't, should I) that their manure is dealt with in a more eco-friendly manner than the methane storage factory that regular cattle farming creates.

I quit eating beef because of the environmental impact cattle farming has and after reading all about organic milk, I'm thinking I'll have to take the plunge into organic dairy before my conscience makes me aversive to it!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mumtobelle View Post
    Geez, I never even thought about ketchup. One of the few brand name products I buy faithfully and never budge on is Heinz Ketchup. Maybe it's time to try some organic ketchup.
    Heinz makes an organic catsup. It's quite a bit tastier than their original catsup.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Chocolate milk is also able to be made with US dairy, so it is another thing to watch. That is why you can get it so cheap sometimes.