Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car Seat Question - new question post 17

To all those car seat tech mommies out there. I'm finding that 32" is the max rear facing on most seats out there and my 11month old ds has already surpassed that. But on our current car seat (Cosco Alpha Omega Elite) his head is still way below the top of the shell (like 4" below) and he appears to have plenty of leg room being rear facing. Is there any flexibility with that number or do I have to put him forward facing in that car seat? (Note that at this point I have turned it around to be on the safe? side)
    Last edited by Momgineer; 05-23-2010 at 10:08 AM.

Expert Forum User

I'm no carseat tech, but it has always been my general understanding that it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible because they are so much better protected that way. Someone who checked our carseat once when DS was little commented to me that it's better to leave them rear facing even if their legs look squished, as long as their head is not over the top of the shell. They said it's better to have a child with broken legs than to have a child with a head injury, or worse. That stuck in my head, so that has been what we've always kept in mind. I don't know what the current mindset is on that though, but I'll be watching this thread because I'm betting DD will be longer than 32“ before she's 1, and I would really like to keep her rear-facing longer than that. DS was 18 months when we turned him around.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

First, turn that seat back rearfacing!! Ok, read below now that I got that out of my system.

The manuals have to state a height limit for liability purposes. 32“ is just a random height they picked. It doesn't make any sense because you can take two kids at 32“ height and one will be all torso and the other will be all legs.

As long as there's 1“ of hard shell above the top of his head you're OK to still use it RF... and he's within the weight limits.

i'm nak now so i'll write more once i have both hands free and there isn't a nursling kicking at my keyboard. *sigh*
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

Personally, I've always used the 32“ as a guideline rather then a hard and fast rule since kids come in all proportions. My LO is all torso, so outgrew her safeseat before 32“. DD RF'd in her Marathon until she was 2.5, 34“ and 29lbs and still had oodles of shell when we turned her - it had a stated limit of 32“. It's really a matter of what you are comfortable with. Personally, when there are seats with higher limits now it's easier to just suggest one of them.

The True Fit has no official height limit for rear facing. The Complete Air I believe has a limit of 36“ RFing and Sunshine Kids Radians I believe has a stated limit of 44“ for RFing.
    Last edited by a_bun_in_the_oven; 05-19-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Forgot a word

Can i then use my “bucket“ carrier longer? It has a height of 27“

Same thing applies to buckets too... 1“ of hard shell above the top of their head and weight is within the limits.
    Last edited by PurpleCat; 05-19-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: grammar mistake.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Not that I don't trust you PC, cuz I think that makes COMPLETE sense, but is that written in some government document somewhere?

I totally prefer to have him rear facing and the 32“ thing scared me though so I turned it around. I'm in the market to buy another car seat for my dh car. So I'm contemplating which one to get. I've just looked at the complete air (which looks pretty good, but I'm leary of the 36 inches now (he's 32.5 already). The radian 65 looks good on paper, but it appears really narrow...I'm going to go see the true fit later today.

Expert Forum User

ITA with PC - this is what we learned on the tech course.

Here's one link that states weight/1“ of shell:

http://www.infantandtoddlersafety.ca...ageid=99999938
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

thanks ladies, I will turn it back around this afternoon. Now just to decide which one to get for dh car.

DD was 34.5 inches tall at about 18 months...she stayed (and still is) RF in her True Fit because of the added head rest. My concern is the weight now, because she's 34 lbs, going to have to turn her soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Momgineer View Post

I totally prefer to have him rear facing and the 32“ thing scared me though so I turned it around. I'm in the market to buy another car seat for my dh car. So I'm contemplating which one to get. I've just looked at the complete air (which looks pretty good, but I'm leary of the 36 inches now (he's 32.5 already). The radian 65 looks good on paper, but it appears really narrow...I'm going to go see the true fit later today.
    Rear facing is much safer (about 500x!) and keeping your LO that way until 2 is a good minimum to strive for. My plan is to keep M until he's 3-4.

What vehicle is this going into? What's your LO's weight and height? (If you can get her sitting height that would be better - bum to top of shoulders.)

The Complete Air and Radians are great seats for extended rear facing - they go up to 40lbs. The CA only forward faces in a harness to 50lbs while other seats go to 65lb. It does have lots of side impact protection and so does the Radians.

Radians are slimmer and that's the appeal of them. They also have a steel frame (the only one that does) and can be tethered RF. My guy is chunky and he's not squished at all in his Radian XT. They curve slightly at the body area to give more room.

The TrueFit is a good seat too. I like it. It's the cheapest option out of all three too. It's fairly east to install and has the tallest shell on the market.

we've got a corolla and a sienna. DS is 32.5“ and 24lbs at 11 months. If I sit him on the floor, his height to his head is around 20.5“ and his shoulders are 12“...that's the best I can estimate with a squirmy litte boy.

The one we have now fits (cosco alpha omega elite) in the sienna, but I haven't tried it in the corolla yet.

Expert Forum User

Also, just so you're aware Momgineer, by law you need to keep rfing until at least a year and 22lbs, and as of September, your LO will also have to be walking unaided before they can be turned. I think you should be fine to continue rfing with your seat. You can always book in to a Buckle Up Baby clinic to have it checked too Welcome to the Buckle Up Baby Community Group
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

while were on the subject. What's better for car seat installation, the seat belt or the latch system?

Which ever gets a tighter install.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast