Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Magnetic Hair Clips

A couple weeks ago there were some posts about hair accessories for little girls ("pretties" as my daughter is calling them). I mentioned that I was thinking about giving it a try since I seem to be spending a lot of money on these little things and was feeling kind of "crafty". I went all out this weekend and had a great time making these - I think I know what all my nieces will be getting for Christmas, as my daughter certainly doesn't need this many (with a few duplicates)! I'm on the look out for more appiques for the tops - I've had mixed success with bows (and they've always been my favourites...)
    Last edited by shawlo; 01-29-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Expert Forum User

your clips are great, how did you make them?

where did you find the ribbon and clips? They look awesome
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

You did a great job on those. You will definately need to share your technique.

...or start selling them!

I've been making the same kind of thing but with bows. Just wondering where you got your alligator clips from. I found some at that beauty store on Wellington and Exeter but they were ridiculously expensive. I ended up getting some from Sally's in Port Huron, but I don't want to have to drive down there everytime I want to make more.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

I've been making those too, but with bows also! I've also started making the korker bows and they're so much fun! Ali'sMum I bought all my aligator clips off ebay. WAY cheaper than anywhere else and they're the perfect size. I searched EVERYWHERE here and couldn't find them...at least at a reasonable price.

Erica

I bought the clips from the beauty store at Wellington and Exeter Road...I bought a box that definitely didn't have as many in it as they told me there were (I didn't count until I got home). I also had a very hard time finding them.

I just shopped around and bought ribbons from various stores that I liked (Michaels, Fabricland, Walmart etc). Same with the embellishements (Michaels, dollar stores, scrapbook supplies). The challenge is to do this for cheaper than it is to buy them (and I definitley spent a lot of money on ribbon and clips, but if I wanted variety I needed to buy lots of different ribbons!).

I bought a roll of magnetic tape and glued a piece onto the inside of the clip to help keep them if place, glued on the ribbons and then added the embellishments (to some). It wasn't that hard, just a little "fiddly". I'd love to hear how others have mastered the bows, I'm having a heck of a time getting them to look right.

I was just doing this "for fun", but I'd be happy to hook you up with a few if you want them, I've got duplicates and triplicates of many of these (and maybe it could subsidize my enormous new ribbon collection - my husband would be pleased!).

Just so you know, if you're ever in Port Huron, there is a Sally's about 3 minutes drive from the border and they sell a box of 12 for $1.99. They have both double prong clips and single prong ones. I got a pack of each and am now wishing I had bought both boxes in double prong. :?
    I first tried using my hot glue gun but found it kind of tricky to get the ribbon on before the glue hardened, and getting it on straight was a bit tricky too, so I bought a craft double sided tape and that is sooooo easy to use and it keeps the ribbon on really well! I don't use magnets. I glue a no slip grip onto the inside of the clip. I find the magnet doesn't quite keep them in Ali's hair yet. It's still quite fine.
    Try this website for tips on making bows ...
    http://bowdesigns.50webs.com/index.html
    I find the 'Tails Down Bow' works really well on the alligator clips. It's got instructions for the Korker bows Erica is talking about too - they're really cute!
    Erica, Post pics of some of your clips too!

I've also been making some bow holders (to keep them all organised ) - you'll have to get into those next!!!!
    Last edited by ali's*mum; 10-22-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

Thanks Jocelyn I'm going to Port Huron this weekend so I'm definitely going to stop and get some alligator clips.

It's on the road to the mall, in a little plaza on the right hand side of the road. I can't remember what it's near but I'm sure you'd be able to find an address online. They're so easy (and fun) to make that I don't think I'll ever buy them again!
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

Here are some of the bows I've been making. Ali'sMum post yours too!! And anyone else who's making them for that matter!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great work, Erica!! I've never tried the Korker's - I actually just ordered a few from a GF - but you've inspired me to try to make some myself. Give me a few minutes and I'll get some pictures of some I've made.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Okay, these are the two bow holders I made. Bear in mind that I didn't make all the clips. I bought a bunch from that lady in Cambridge.

I've made these three styles so far ...

I'm working on some others too.
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Expert Forum User

Those are GREAT Ali'sMum....good job!!
    Everyone is so talented!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast