Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Soothers and Pacifiers

To use or not to use?
    My son is 7 weeks, and I haven't used a soother yet. I think that he would enjoy using one (even if just at bedtime) because he has starting to pacify on me.
    Did you use a soother? Why or why not? And if so, how was the weaning process?

Expert Forum User

If you are BF'ing him, and he's been generally OK without it...I wouldn't start a soother now. IME, it could cause nipple confusion and a decrease in your milk supply (since he wouldn't be suckling on you so much, so your body would produce less).

The weaning process with my DS was easy. The nurses in the hospital convinced me to give him a soother at 2 days old because he was quite fussy. At 1yr, we switched from bottle to sippy cup and formula to whole milk, so at that time we also switched to soother only at sleep time. Then we moved when he was 2, and he lost his soother (we only keep 1 on hand), and when I explained to him why he couldn't have it, he was fine with it.

DD is pretty reliant on her soother still, but she's only 9 months old. I don't expect her weaning to be easy at all - but she's got a different personality than DS.

I wish that I had never gotten either of them onto the soother though - but that's just personal preference. One of my close friends always says she'd rather have a soother sucker than a thumb sucker, because she can take the soother away, but she's not allowed to remove thumbs!

My oldest DD would not take the soother as much as I tried, but my LO does take it, which is important because she is hypersensitive and needs soothing at many times. This works for me (and her!)
    Mommy to two beautiful girls!

Expert Forum User

I have never breast fed (I pumped and bottle fed them BM) So never had to worry about the confusion. I did use a soother with all my babies but my oldest and one of my twins (the other twin was a thumb sucker, still now at 8 y/o she sucks her thumb. Drives me crazy lol) were the only 2 that took to them and liked them lol. I personally see nothing wrong with it, my sucky babies were a lot more content babies where as my non sucky babies seemed to be much more high strung and demanding (I am not sure if this had anything to do with soother use but to me it seemed to be lol)

Banned

I broke down and gave DS one in the hospital. He has such a strong need to suck constantly. I am all for giving him my finger to suck, but at 3 am when I try to slip my finger away and he wakes up again... my sanity needs a soother!
    I didn't give him one for a day or two while we tried to figure out breastfeeding.
    But I personally don't believe with my DS that a soother affected/affects breastfeeding at all. If he is hungry and I give him his soother, he is really quick to spit it out. He knows where the milk is coming from.

Now I am only giving 9 day old advice... lol, so I am no expert at all!

Expert Forum User

M gets a soother only because she does have the strong need to suck. We breastfed for a year and she would use me as the soother as well. I think it depends on the child to. My oldest had one but didn't need one. Being a new parent I thought she did and it was just somethng we did. With the baby we said we weren't going to do soothers but she really, really needs it. She is also missing her right hand and would suck at it, leaving it very red and irritated so we stuck with the soother. She is now 14 months old and only gets it in bed, the car or when she cannot be consoled any other way.

Expert Forum User

It depends on how long you want to nurse. Seriously... if you have plans to wean any time soon, then sure, I think 7 weeks is an okay time to introduce a soother without worry over nipple confusion.

But it's the first step in weaning. You need to remember that.

The time he spends with a soother is less time on the breast. And while I understand the need for a break, it's just a fact that this kind of replacement of the breast leads to early weaning because a) he's not telling your body that he needs you to satisfy his needs, and b) your body stops producing as much... which results in an interruption of the nursing relationship, even if it's a small one.

My suggestion is to get a nursing-compatible carrier or sling, AND if you are desperate for a break, get hubby or a trusted friend or a family member to watch baby for awhile. My hubby's pinky finger did wonders for dd, lol. He often resorted to that while I took a walk around the block or took a much needed bath alone.

This time is short-lived, I personally wouldn't jeopardize the nursing scenario... but every mom is different.

PS. You are not a pacifier substitute. The pacifier is a mom-substitute.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

i plan to try to introduce one around 6 weeks. i'm not too worried about nipple confusion because yummy milk doesn't come out of it. lol. i'm most likely going to have to leave her for a few hours at a time so i think this will make it way easier for her and whoever is taking care of her. would also make it easier when she's older and i don't want to nurse her all the time.
    i tried to introduce one with dd1 and she was totally not interested though, lol. so we'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by mamabear; 05-15-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I introduced a soother too early with Cole and it was a disaster for bf. It didn't happen right away but within 4 months we were done. With Nate we waited and I wasn't going to give him one at all until dh made a middle of the night desperate run for the grocery store. LOL Nate was about 2 months at the time. I personally don't like them because they do become a crutch for mom and dad or at least in this house it became our addiction. We weaned Nate off of it at 2 years old and he was fine. My advice is if you can avoid do so, if you do use one wait at least 6-8 weeks.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

i have used a soother from the beginning and i am BF with no problems or intent to wean any time soon...as it is he is 3.5 months old and almost done with a soother and searching for his thumb.
    for what its worth... i have 1 thumb and 1 soother child as well as the baby. i much prefer the thumb because they can do it when they need it! getting the older one off the thumb was easy....soother is proving much more difficult!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Expert Forum User

gah! soothers TOTALLY interfere with breastfeeding. the majority of moms who use one have troubles. there are the lucky ones who don't, but after 5 years of busy lactation support i can tell you those moms are few and far between.
    IF you use a soother, you have to be really careful. it can decrease your supply. it can affect your flow causing ALL SORTS of difficulties. it can affect your baby's latch which can both hurt, and can make it more difficult for them to swallow milk without getting air, thus gassy.
    i have seen soothers cause bf babes to have excess gas, reject the breast, impact a heavy let-down, decrease milk supply, frustrate babe, damage nipples, decrease feeds.
    often these problems don't manifest until 3-4 months and by then they are much harder to fix.
    i'm just sayin'. i really feel for the moms i see and support who have all sorts of issues and frustrations that could have been prevented.
    soothers and bottle feeding, knock yourself out!
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Right now I am big time anti soother.

WHY???

Because I have a 2 year old who SCREAMS MURDER when he doesn't have it and/or can't find it. I wish the soother fairy would come. lol

My 11 month old does not have one and am I ever glad When he wasn't using me he used my shoulder or finger as a newborn and eventually found his fist.
    Last edited by White Daisy; 05-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.

I'm a firm believer in soothers!!! Both boys got them from day 1. No issues whatsoever with BF'ing. DS#1 still gets one for naptime and bedtime, so I haven't had the fight of trying to get rid of it. I might have a change of opinion when that time comes But for now, it's good.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by funkymommy View Post
    I'm a firm believer in soothers!!! Both boys got them from day 1. No issues whatsoever with BF'ing.
    wow. you are really lucky. soothers from day one is a very, very bad idea if you want to successfully breastfeed.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hinagal View Post
    wow. you are really lucky. soothers from day one is a very, very bad idea if you want to successfully breastfeed.
    So what do you do instead then? DS needs to suck, and as much as I would love to not use a soother, I wouldn't be able to do anything if I am always either nursing him or sitting with my finger in his mouth. I don't automatically give him one all day long, but do when it seems like he needs it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast