Default Day out with Thomas 2010 - St. Thomas - what to expect?

The wife and I were thinking of attending the Day out with Thomas event 2010 which is taking place in St. Thomas this year (July 16th to July 24th)... This will be our first visit to see Thomas with our children (boy 2, girls 5 mos). Sounds like fun and our son is very interested in Thomas and all of his railroad friends.

Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time, or is it generally okay to show up and buy a ticket?

Assuming that the ticket is only for riding on Thomas, if you don't buy a ticket, will you be able to see Thomas while he's at the station?

The Thomas gift shop... Overpriced merchandise or decent prices on good products?

How busy is this event?

Anyone care to share their past trip experiences and or anything else that might be useful to other first time attendees?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

Your ticket to ride Thomas also gets you in the gate so you have to have a ticket. Each ticket gives you a certain time to ride Thomas and only at that time. It is busy so you should buy in advance if you know when you'd like to ride. They have a stroller/wagon parking area for while you are on the train. They have a ton of other activities as well.

I don;t know about the gift shop as my ex got mad and took them out before they got that far

I think we have a few volunteers who work there so I am sure they will give you the full scoop!

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

I would buy a ticket ahead of time, you will not be able to see thomas without a ticket and no ride.

The store is way overpriced.

These events are busy.

When I went last year extremley busy.
    It was worth going though. They have many activities for the kids to do.
    Last edited by patty; 05-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.

We've been a few times. You can buy advance tickets(the good times sell out quickly) or you can buy them there. You don't have to go on the train but can just buy admission tickets which I believe are cheaper(I believe this is the case).
    Yes you can see the train without riding it. We often hang out at Parkside high school and watch the train go by. I forget the times it passes but it would be easy enough to figure out based on the train ticket times.
    There are train tables set up, a colouring station, little maze, inflatables(I think they had them last year), a working model train, free tattoos, pic ops with Sir topham(costs $). Yes the merchandise is overpriced but as is most thomas stuff. The merchandise is set back and avoidable.
    We go every year. Its packed. Lots of fun.
    Last edited by Roots; 05-10-2010 at 12:02 PM.

is this a yearly think in st. thomas? where do you get the information. I would love to take ds but hes only 8months old so it would probley be better next year.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Quote Originally Posted by patty View Post
    The store is way overpriced.
    I'm just here to stress this fact. They did have the selection, but it was at minimum double the price of the same thing anywhere else.

It was relatively busy mid afternoon with the wee one being only really scared of the giant plush Controller walking around handing out balloons.

It was fun when we all went a couple of years back. The only downside was trying to pry the train lovers away from the massive train tables.

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    I'm just here to stress this fact. They did have the selection, but it was at minimum double the price of the same thing anywhere else.

It was relatively busy mid afternoon with the wee one being only really scared of the giant plush Controller walking around handing out balloons.

It was fun when we all went a couple of years back. The only downside was trying to pry the train lovers away from the massive train tables.
    Ohh... train tables... They mentioned a train table on the site, but multiple tables sounds cool!

The images I saw of the plush controller do look a little freaky...

Bacon : with regards to toy selection... Do they simply carry what's available in most stores (toy shoppe, toysrus, chapters, mastermind etc), or do they have some unique/exclusive toys... uhh... my 2 year old is an avid collector... yeah that's it! HA HA!

But seriously, I've seen the “Thomas' day out exclusives“ for sale on ebay and such, but do they carry any/many discontinued trains or cars?

I was only there a couple of years ago. So my guy was 3.5 at the time... and at that time we collected that “blue track“ plastic Tomy sets which are compatible with the current set of plastic trains. That's what they had loaded on the tables at that time. They have since been replaced by the brown track - trackmaster? ... I tried to avoid that and the wooden sets as much as I could as there were countless youtube videos of massive Tomy sets spiraling around... we could only get up to 3 spirals until we ran out of arch pieces.

They had the biggest selection... a bit more then Scholars Choice/Toys Я Us... but again, double the price.

I went for the experience... then I stopped off and bought items in town.

Expert Forum User

A friend mentioned you should buy them a toy before hand and have it stashed away so when they beg for one at the gift shop you can whip one out you've already purchased for a much lower price.

My 2.5 year old is SO excited! He talks about going nearly every single day.

We have been 3 years in a row now and the kids love it. DS was 18 months the first time we went and he was in heaven!
    I dont find the wooden trains overpriced, pretty similar to Toy Shoppe. DS gets the “Day out with Thomas Train' so far every year.....
    It is a fun afternoon, there is lots to do besides the actual train ride which is nice.
    Just pray for no rain

Expert Forum User

Please buy your ticket in advance. We do sell out for the train every year and its really sad if you get there and don't get to ride on Thomas. Its an experience. However I also suggest, am...early am. The best time to ride Thomas is the 1st or 2nd ride of the day. Because its not too hot, the train is not filled to compacity. During the day trains, people show up 5 mins before the train leaves and expect to sit with their family. We do our best, but its not always possible. Get there early!

As for the store, it is a little overpriced, but HIT entertainment sets the prices, not the train museum. They have to do what HIT says. If they open a box, they have to buy a box. So they are very cautious with everything they bring out.

As for the train tables, there are 3-4 tables for the kids to use. However we have approx 20 trains to put on the tables. So I suggest you bring your own train, very clearly labelled with your child's name. Since people keep walking off with the trains, we have a train security guard(usually a student) that checks the trains as they go out the door.

This is my 4th year volunteering. So if you have any questions, please let me know. I do it because I love it(even though my kids are too old for Thomas now)
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

They had the biggest selection... a bit more then Scholars Choice/Toys Я Us... but again, double the price.
    Sorry Bacon, I asked twice about price... I clearly didn't read your first response, my apologies! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by koolnurse5 View Post
    I dont find the wooden trains overpriced, pretty similar to Toy Shoppe. DS gets the “Day out with Thomas Train' so far every year.....
    It is a fun afternoon, there is lots to do besides the actual train ride which is nice.
    Just pray for no rain
    Koolnurse, yeah, we get the wooden trains too, I don't feel they're overpriced as I perceive the value, quality of such well built children's toys these things are built to last... I'll guess we'll just have to show up and see what the prices are...

I'd like to get the special “Day out with Thomas train“ and keep it on my desk... as a happy thought!

Also for any Thomas purchaseser's reading, Toy Shoppe will be having a coordinated sale around the same time that Thomas comes to St. Thomas... I don't know how much the savings will be for certain, but I think the lady said “It is one of our bigger sales“, so I assume that to mean 30% to 50% off all Thomas stuff.

Like out in the boonies mom said, I think we will plan for an early morning Thomas ride... The little one likes his afternoon nap, so after 3 or 4 hours, he'll be ready for bed! And it will be so much cooler early in the morning! (Time to start the Christmas shopping!! HA!)

Thanks for the tip(s) boonies mom!

Expert Forum User

This is why I love this site...being a new mom I would miss half the events that were going on if they were't posted here!!!!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Also for any Thomas purchaseser's reading, Toy Shoppe will be having a coordinated sale around the same time that Thomas comes to St. Thomas... I don't know how much the savings will be for certain, but I think the lady said “It is one of our bigger sales“, so I assume that to mean 30% to 50% off all Thomas stuff.
    Great tip! I'll be birthday shopping for a Thomas lover right around that time.