Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Where did you feel the safest (of places you've lived)

It just occurred to me that I feel safer in this house than I've felt anywhere else I lived. I think our house in Windsor, despite the reputation of the area etc, was a close second though.

Everywhere else I was always a nervous wreck.

An example of how safe I feel here: I leave nightlights on.
    I used to like to leave the house in almost complete darkness, so that if someone broke in they would surely trip on all the toys and clutter and it would give me the advantage as I know the layout/clutter, and they do not. Y'know...give me advance warning and more reaction time.
    Now I have a nightlight in the bathroom, kitchen, and the carbon monoxide detector has one on it in the upper hall. It doesn't bother me at all!

Also, we used to always have like, six locks on our doors. We have three now. I feel fine with that.

Where did you feel the safest?
    Were the places you felt unsafe just a 'feeling' or was it somehow justified or explainable?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

Ummm well Hamilton wasn't one of them! LMAO....I shouldn't have said that now you'll be all freaked out! There has only been one place I lived in that I didn't feel safe, and I have lived in all sorts of places! I think it has more to do with myself then where I am. Attitude maybe? Then again I have lived on my own since a very young age......and like it that way

ETA..my memories of living in Hamilton is more about learning to drink coffee on roads full of potholes. They had the first Timmies drive thru ever ya know
    Last edited by PancakeMom; 05-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Growing up and living with my parents of course. I dont even think we consistantly locked the doors at night.

Canada in general, no bombs flying around here

Expert Forum User

I think I also felt safest living with my parents. Safe neighbourhood, alarm system, guard cat . However I also feel very safe here and now in our apartment. If someone wanted to break in they would have to get past the apartment's secured entrance and our door lock or else scale 5 floors of balconies. And again, it's a good neighbourhood, we've never had any issues.

The only place I've lived where I didn't feel safe was our slum in Brantford and my fear was pretty justified, it was a very bad area.

[/url]

Expert Forum User

With my parents in Stratford... strange thing is my mom doesn't feel safe there now. There have been a lot of B & E's in my parents old neighbourhood and she's actually got a security system now.

Expert Forum User

I feel pretty safe where we are now. I like hte area dispite some drama from time to time, i feel pretty safe.
    I didnt feel safe back at our old house for some reason back home in Arnprior. Like there was never any crime but I dunno, just didnt like being alone there too much.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

I actually feel quite safe where I live now. Don't know if perhaps it's because I'm on a court location, so if someone tries to break into the houses on the court, at least the ones down by my house which are right inside of the court and not close to an easy exit, they have a higher chance of someone on this street catching them and would have a more difficult time escaping.

Expert Forum User

I have never really felt unsafe.
    I feel very safe in our house now and I felt safe in our first house too. I also felt safe in my parents house.
    I am not really a worrier when it comes to stuff like that though.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Expert Forum User

We love this house, but don't feel safe in it. But, we were robbed. No one broke in, it was someone who was here. But it still feels unsafe here. We've changed locks and such, but can't get over it. We'll probably move once I'm done school.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Banned

Feel pretty safe right now! We are in Blue Mountain and there is hardly anyone else here right now.

Our old house in London I didn't feel particularly safe because the house was big so I couldn't hear what was going on all over the house. Plus, not the best neighbourhood. Before that in London, the neighbour got broken into. Before that in London, again, not the best neighbourhood. Before that - Vancouver - bedrooms were downstairs and living room upstairs (main floor) - freaked me out not to be near the door. Before that in the UK our house was broken into.

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    Ummm well Hamilton wasn't one of them! LMAO....I shouldn't have said that now you'll be all freaked out! There has only been one place I lived in that I didn't feel safe, and I have lived in all sorts of places! I think it has more to do with myself then where I am. Attitude maybe? Then again I have lived on my own since a very young age......and like it that way

ETA..my memories of living in Hamilton is more about learning to drink coffee on roads full of potholes. They had the first Timmies drive thru ever ya know
    Also first Tim Hortons period.

I live in Hamilton, and I feel perfectly safe. There are some places here I wouldn't though, but even in the bad rep neighbourhoods, I would generally feel safe.

Expert Forum User

I kinda feel creeped out here, it's siren city so it freaks me out!!! Growing up I was scared of the 401 so near our house, my sisters would tell me that when a murderer came to down, (i.e. Michael Myers) our house would be the one of the first he would come to....this is all the while my parents were at work ALL night! Should have been scared in TO at 19, little bachelor, no phone, East York, door and window open right to the street, but I was naiive to what I should have been worried about back then, so felt fine.

Expert Forum User

With my parents, growing up in SW Ontario. But I don't feel particularly safe where we are now. Many thefts and a lot of vandalism in this town, as small as it is.

Interestingly enough, I felt “safest“ when we lived in North Central Connecticut for over 10 years. Just north of Hartford... which is like, crime capital of the northeast, lol. But we left doors open and car doors unlocked, and the garage was always open. Never ONE incident in all the time we lived there.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

I feel safe in our house now, we have had a few b&e's in the neighbourhood, but more concerned about the idiots who drive down the street.

When we lived in the country outside of Ottawa, we would never lock the door and I felt completely safe there too.
    Loving mom to DD '99 and DD '01
    Proud foster mom to #4 and counting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast