Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Do you have playdates?

with kids from school? we have never ever been invited to one (just birthday parties) are we alone in this?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

My son has just this past week been playing every day with a little boy in his class who lives down the street. We did play with others after school at the school before this.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

C on average probably has 2 -3 a wk. Either her or at a friends.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Banned

When my kids were at school, we never had a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    When my kids were at school, we never had a single one.
    well that sucks..but at least I dont feel so bad now. I was starting to feel outcasted lol.

Expert Forum User

Nope...not with either kid. Ours is a 100% bussed school though so the parents never get to meet each other which I think makes a difference.

I never met the kids from auroras first school. becuase she was bused. But now we walk to school and i meet them all the time..but i stick out like a sore thumb. I feel like i dont belong at all..and it doenst help that I know they have playdates with others kids.

I have thought about it msyelf, cuz aurora really wants to and she has a ton of friends...but I really dont know how to approach it myself..plus I dont want to butt in if we arnt wanted.

If she has friends but you don't know the parents, give her a note to send home with her friend. Just a simple “Hi, Aurora has talked about ___ a lot and would like to have her over to play sometime. Here's my email address (and phone if you're comfortbale with it). Maybe you can let me know a time that would work well for you? Thanks! Aurora's mom (Ivveyy)“
    That's what I've done in the past.
    Didn't always pan out either - and I figured that's ok. I personally wouldn't let him go to someone's house if I didn't know them, so I can't judge if theyr'e paranoid too

When ds was in school he only ever went to two friends' houses from school - but had friends from the french school and catholic school, so I didn't really care.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

If it makes you feel better I know when C was in JK/Sk there were kids that did lots of playdates and others that didn't do any. It seems to pick up more later in SK and then carries on more in grade 1 etc... In JK/SK Camryn may have had 2 -3 a mth if that. ( mind you I think partly that was due to her nut allergy and ppl were afraid to have her over.) She asks much more now for them which is probably why she has 2-3 a wk. J has them from time to time but usually with me in tow or the other parents are here. TOday though she did go on her first one without me and thankfully it was very successful. YOu could due what *allie* suggested as that is a great way to invite someone over.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

All the time. We also have an email group for every class, so even if you don't see other parents, you can still communicate.

Ask your kids if there is a friend they would like a play date with, and take the initiative.

Expert Forum User

Lots of playdates for my JK, but she is a very social child and asks for them constantly.

We are a bussed school, but live in a small community where most people know each other. It helps a lot that we see the same kids and their parents at the library, soccer, park etc. When DD1 would like to play with someone we don't know, I write a note to send to school in her backpack and suggest a playdate at the park or another public location. It seems to work well.

Expert Forum User

My kids don't have playdates either. I mean, we have friends (more or less neighbours) of theirs come over and hang out. Mine are older though. If you're not sure how to approach is, why not send invites to the kids to come play?? If you think you can do that and then maybe the parents will hang out for a bit?

Expert Forum User

we've never had playdates with schoolmates. i laughed though because DS came home from school a few weeks ago and asked if he could have a playdate with his friend.

LOL...i think i'm just not used to hearing kids refer to it as a play date. when we were kids, we just 'played'. i don't know what it is, it just makes me laugh
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

My middle son has had one and that is because the parents of that child and my husband are co workers and we just kinda helped out each other....

we are planing one for Ben and his friend from school! i know his mom! we are just trying to figure out the best day for both of us
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast