Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Another dumb facebook page

I am posting this assuming we are all on the same page and realize how ridiculous this is, but here we go. Another dumb facebook page:

Content Not Found | Facebook

Expert Forum User

Oh yeah, at least 10 people on my list have joined that one...people from the US!

I may be opening a can of worms here, but I don't think its a bad idea, I know it will probably never happen.
    If OW was to drug test and if the test came back positive for drugs that they aren't prescribed or etc, then they should be offered some type of help to get off drugs and if they refuse then they loose OW. This would be esp good for the ones that have kids but spend their money on drugs/booze rather than food/clothes for their kids, yes we all know there are those ppl out there.

*runs away*

Man. I am kicking myself now. I shoulda known.. Sorry all!

I think its ridiculous to drug test. How humiliating! To be honest, when I was on OW (many moons ago when I lived in the YWCA) I was mortified that I had to go on OW. People - my own friends and family - made me feel less than human.

Well the ones that did can kiss my ass now

Adding the drug testing is just one more way we make people feel like crap when they are down and out. I guess if you're poor you cant afford dignity, eh?

I was on OW for yrs myself, and would have been more than willing to give a drug test to them as I knew I had nothing to hide.

Expert Forum User

I don't know what to think honestly.

I think people with addition issues need help, and change is only going to happen when they choose to change.
    I also think Social Welfare is a necessary thing in our society. It's true that there are people that abuse it, but they are people that aren't and I don't think I like the over generalization.

I'm going to watch the discussion on this one carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarazzi View Post
    *runs away*

Man. I am kicking myself now. I shoulda known.. Sorry all!

I think its ridiculous to drug test. How humiliating! To be honest, when I was on OW (many moons ago when I lived in the YWCA) I was mortified that I had to go on OW. People - my own friends and family - made me feel less than human.

Well the ones that did can kiss my ass now

Adding the drug testing is just one more way we make people feel like crap when they are down and out. I guess if you're poor you cant afford dignity, eh?
    had a very similar experience when I was on OW.

I totally agree with you.

I had nothing to hide either. I did drugs, sure. Not on OW though. I drank on OW, but only what people gave me. I smoked like a chimney though. I say we spend less money trying to assume poor people are drug addicts and catching people being naughty and more money on programs to help people get off OW.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamarazzi View Post
    I had nothing to hide either. I did drugs, sure. Not on OW though. I drank on OW, but only what people gave me. I smoked like a chimney though. I say we spend less money trying to assume poor people are drug addicts and catching people being naughty and more money on programs to help people get off OW.
    I agree. But if there is a person on OW who does drugs or is an alcoholic do you think they are gonna use these programs to help them get off of OW ? I don't, not untill they realize they have a problem. So if drug testing was to come in (which like I said is very very unlikely) maybe then they may be a slim chance they'll realize they got a prob.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by momof3cuteboys View Post
    I agree. But if there is a person on OW who does drugs or is an alcoholic do you think they are gonna use these programs to help them get off of OW ? I don't, not untill they realize they have a problem. So if drug testing was to come in (which like I said is very very unlikely) maybe then they may be a slim chance they'll realize they got a prob.
    the only time someone who has an addiction can get help is when they've hit their own rock bottom and are ready and willing.

Telling them they have a problem most likely won't do much. neither is shunning them, and making them seem even more worthless.
    Last edited by Leigh; 05-07-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo

Really? You think that people don't get help because they don't know they have an addiction? You make it sound so easy, like if people actually knew that they were substance using they would seek support. When someone is living on the street, using drugs and just trying to survive - I am fairly sure they know they have an issue.

There are plenty of barriers to getting help and support - knowledge of one's own addiction is not at the top of the list.
    Last edited by doulamom; 05-07-2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

It's ridiculous because even people on OW have human rights. Our country has put in place a program to help those that pass the eligibility requirements. These very people on welfare contribute to society as well, and although we ALL know one or two people “scamming“ or whatever, that's no reason to put in a nationwide drug testing program.

I can PRETTY much guarantee you the cost of the drug testing will FAR FAR outweigh the money that is reclaimed if we “cut off“ those who tested positively for pot or whatever.

Are all the taxpayers willing to add a few million more dollars to the running of the OW program in order to implement drug testing? Cuz it will be very very expensive folks, and for what purpose? It WILL NOT save money. It WILL NOT stop people from getting drugs.

It will, however, serve to beat down and degrade those who are in need.

Why is it always people on Welfare that need the drug testing? Are only poor people drug users? Most of the ones I know are rolling in money, have new homes, and have great jobs. If someone is truly a hard drug addict, heroin, crack etc. There are other programs out there to help, trying to go on witch hunts for OW drug users is a complete waste of time, and would be an embarassment to me if this country did it.

I dont know if they will or not. But I am not going to assume they wont. And I am not going to assume everyone on OW is on drugs either.

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    Really? You think that people don't get help because they don't know they have an addiction? You make it sound so easy, like if people actually knew that they were substance using they would seek support. When someone is living on the street, using drugs and just trying to survive - I am fairly sure they know they have an issue.

There are plenty of barriers to getting help and support - knowledge of one's own addiction is not at the top of the list.
    Yep, and since when do people who have addictions no longer deserve the money for basic needs? Welfare may be contributing financially to a habit/addiction, but its also helping with food and rent.

When we take away OW from people with addictions we increase crime (people stealing in order to support a habit, assaults, and homelessness. As well as raising child poverty, and likely child abuse.

Then you think of all the people on OW who are using the meth clinic downtown as well.

Its not a well thought our solution, and people who have an addiction have to want the help in order for the help to work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast