Expert Forum User

Default less pay for full time?

If someone hires you on contract and then offers you a full-time permanent spot, is it acceptable for them to give you a pay decrease? or is that common?
    Last edited by Mum09and11; 05-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

Well are they paying benefits and pension now when they weren't?

Expert Forum User

It's only acceptable, if you accept it!

I'm not certain that it is common, but I can see where it may be done that contract workers get more $'s to attract them to a job that otherwise they may not fill.

And, there is value in job-security and benefits.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Horvyboysmom View Post
    Well are they paying benefits and pension now when they weren't?

yes... still seems unfair to lower the wage

Expert Forum User

They are in business to make money so the bottom line is what they're looking at. If you make more money on contract, it's still likely a lower cost to them, as they do not have to pay benefits and such for you, plus the vacation pay is only a percentage, whereas in a permanent position they would be paying 100% for vacation days (most likely). So as a permanent employee, you actually cost them more overall...they're probably lowering the actual wage to make you cost them the same as what you did as a contract employee. Hopefully that makes sense!

Expert Forum User

I know they do this to nurses - a friend has just got a job that pays $10 more an hour to be full time than part time.

I'm thinking it's probably something to do with benefits being better for full time. The vacation pay wouldn't make any difference, because it's a percentage of what you earn either way.
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Banned

Where I work you make more working part time than full time, which is why I will NEVER apply for full time. But that has to do with taxes and also no benefits being taken off......of course we have lovely union dues but meh.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

It's an offer, you can take it or not. They can offer whatever they want as long as it's at least minimum wage. Fulltime would guarantee hours and benefits. They are watching the bottom line.

Expert Forum User

Benefits and pension cost companies significant money and it does factor into their salaries (a lot of companies have ranges they work within for certain positions for pay equity reasons). They hire people on contract with more pay because there is less stability for the employee. They can let you go with no notice depending on your contract. If you work at the hospital for instance as a casual employee, you receive no benefits, a much higher rate of pay but no guarantees that you will have a job or any hours of work in a week for that matter. If you don't want the full time job for less pay, then don't accept it. Unionized places work differently than non-union (you can't compare).

Expert Forum User

I'm not really sure if it includes pension or not I just know it's benefits and vacation/sick days/holidays. Apparently everyone there makes the same amount of money. It does make sense why they would lower the wage but I guess I just never heard of it before so was just wondering if it was normal to do that.

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

i've heard of peope being paid more per hour in lieu of benefits...so i would assume it happens all the timethat they drop the hourly wage a bit if they are paying benefits/holiday time/sick time, whatever...
    i know sometimes if you'r ehired on salary,the hourly wage sowrks out less than someone paid hourly too..but,in the end, its better cuz you have the consistency and again, the benefits..
    i'm sure its very common,and up to you to decide its fair or not,and you can always try to negotiate a bit of a higher rate. no such thing as everyone gets paid the same either.. i'd dig into that.. sounds funnyto me

I think this is fairly common, because you now get benefits etc. It's up to you if you take it.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by medaevalmom View Post
    i've heard of peope being paid more per hour in lieu of benefits...so i would assume it happens all the timethat they drop the hourly wage a bit if they are paying benefits/holiday time/sick time, whatever...
    i know sometimes if you'r ehired on salary,the hourly wage sowrks out less than someone paid hourly too..but,in the end, its better cuz you have the consistency and again, the benefits..
    i'm sure its very common,and up to you to decide its fair or not,and you can always try to negotiate a bit of a higher rate. no such thing as everyone gets paid the same either.. i'd dig into that.. sounds funnyto me

There's not many people who work there (this is not my work by the way) so I'm not sure how accurate it is but if it is it means no room for raises or anything which would be hard with raising prices and such. I hope it's not true.

Expert Forum User

at my company contract employees get $ in lieu of vacation, and benefits. This may be the same thus the rate goes down

Are you sure the wage has been lowered? Benefits and sick time are compensation too. You may be netting less on your paycheque, but your pay could have gone up. Benefits cost the company money, and they are paying it out just like they would salary money.

This happens a lot when people go from contract to full time.

Negotiate your salary.