Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I have just about had it!! Vent

Getting ds to eat everyday is a nightmare. He no longer likes anything that has any nutritional value. He has the occasional treat and popcorn with a movie in the evenings, but I'm tellin' you this kid must be starving.

He has been going on about cheesies since 730 this morning. It is now 930 and all he has had is about 2 spoonfuls of shreddies. It is like this all day every day for about the last 2 weeks. At dinner he won't eat so we put his food in the fridge and of course about an hour later he wants a "snack" we offer the dinner he didn't eat and he usually will eat it. But it is so frustrating especially when i know it is something he likes.

Then all he wants to do is play at the park. I can't get him to get in or out of the car when I have errands to do, because he wants to go somewhere and play. We ususally take him to the park everyother night after dinner.

he's tired but doesn't want to nap, he's hungry but won't eat anything I offer him, he wants to get dressed, but won't get dressed, he wants an apple, but when I give it to him "I DON'T LIKE APPLES!!!" He says. Errrrrr...................!!!!!!!!

I am at my wits end with this kid. He cries more than my 3 month old and he gets more attention than she does.

Sorry this is so long, I just had to vent!!! Errrrrrrr..............

My DD doesn't eat much supper - i don't really worry about it. I know she eats well at daycare with the other kids.

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

My son gets this way when his allergies bug him. what are the chances he's suffering from all the pollen in the air?
    if you're comfortable with the idea, i'd try some Reactine, split the dialy dose for his age/weight in half, and give each half dose about 12 hrs apart. try it for a couple days!

we figured this out with ds last spring and sure enough, if we miss a dose of reactine this week he's miserable!!

Take him to a dr. if you're not sure... but it really sounds like the spring equivalent of hayfever to me!

DD's appetite is on a rollercoaster ride lately too. Some days she eats (not as well as before) and some days she doesn't eat much. She loves fruit and vegetables though, so I can usually get her to at least eat an apple or orange or broccoli on a bad day. I try tons of different foods, and it does get frustrating when she won't eat. I know she's not starving though, she'll drink lots of milk.

I hope it works out for you, I totally understand the frustration!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds about right for his age honestly. Makes you want to pull your hair out doesnt it. Just keep doing what you are doing. Say what you mean and mean what you say. He's testing the boundaries, stand firm.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    My DD doesn't eat much supper - i don't really worry about it. I know she eats well at daycare with the other kids.
    EXACT same here...
    Its like hes a different kid when hes at home... FRUSTRATING doesnt even begin to explain it..

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    Sounds about right for his age honestly. Makes you want to pull your hair out doesnt it. Just keep doing what you are doing. Say what you mean and mean what you say. He's testing the boundaries, stand firm.
    ditto.... my 2 yr old is the same.....he is exerting his independence and struggling for attention anyway he can! hang in there with the rest of us!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

Thanks for listening. He's just been driving me bonkers. I figure he's not capable of starving himself. But man he IS really testing me. It was 830 this morning and I just wanted to crawl under a rock. lol

Wow!! While reading this I was wondering if you are in my house seeing what we are going through! We are going through the exact same thing with DS1 who is 3...and we also have a 3 month old too!
    Some days are good...other days a nightmare!! He is the same with eating...I can cook his favourites but when it comes to dinner time and time to sit down all I heoar is “I don't like supper!! I don't like that!!“ He seems to dislike everything right now...even DH and I at times! If DH takes him up to bed he screams for me and says he doesn't like daddy. If we try and get him ready to go out, etc...it's the same...always a struggle.
    We are blaming the terrible 3's....and also some sibling jealousy. He can't keep his hands off of DS2...always wants to touch his head and squeeze him...sweet...but it often gets too rough.
    Thanks for your post....I know I'm not alone!!! Hopefully this stage is over soon!!!!

Expert Forum User

OH MAN! I hear ya. Only i am going through this STILL with my almost 6 yr old DD...
    We had cauliflower last night at dinner, I DON'T LIKE CAULIFLOWER..so i said you only need to eat the ONE that i put on your plate and then you can be done...she ate like 7 more after that! GRRRRR KID!!!
    1/2 the time i pay her to try food, here's a dime, please take this piece and eat it...it's only for food she's hellbent that she hates...so far it's been working...lol.

BUT i have to say, sounds like just a normal toddler'y thing to do

Expert Forum User

Oh we are going through the same thing. It is so frustrating!

One day she'll eat what we serve... then the next week she won't eat (even when it's the same meal).

Then she'll scream - I just want to go to the Timbit House. So annoying. I wish that we had never given her a timbit.
    Last edited by Sunrise; 05-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    yeah that, plus you said you have a 3 mth old so he's likely acting out to get the attention. I'd just continue to offer him healthy choices and let it go!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

My 3yo doesn't eat much either. I constantly wonder how he manages to poop when nothing goes in. I have now cut out snacks for the most part and won;t serve dinner until the kids are starving (not really but they are asking for food more then once). Its amazing how much gets eaten when they are hungry!!!

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Expert Forum User

DD asks for french fries everyday. It's very annoying. We have been doing the same thing. We put her dinner back in the fridge if she doesn't eat it and offer it again if she's hungry or she eats it for lunch the next day. At daycare she usually eats pretty good. This morning she actually ate strawberries and yogurt, but I had to spoon it into her mouth like she was 6 months old, lol. I feel for you, I hope this stage passes quickly!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We went through the same thing with DD. It has gotten better (a bit ). After recieving some feedback on here and from our doc, I decided to stop making a deal out of it. I provided her with tiny protions of whatever we were eating, as well as some healthy thing I thought she might eat such as cheese chunks, bread with butter, drinkable yogurt. I also tried to make my own versions of junk I know she likes: chicken “mcnuggets“ made with white meat and a cracker/wheat germ crust , oven baked fries, apples with caramel dip. If she chooses not to eat it then she will be hungry, because I put it in the fridge and it reappears as snacks I also give her a mulitvitamin and she drinks lots and lots of milk Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast